This Recognition was renamed in 2004 in honor of its first recipient, Charles N. Sherlock. Charles undertook many volunteer activities in the society during his membership. He served as the chair of the Leak Testing Committee from 1977-1989, he was the technical chairman of ASNT’s first petroleum industry topical conference, and he was an active member of the Handbook Development Committee during production of the second edition of the Nondestructive Testing Handbook. He also held a Level III certification in six methods: LT, PT, MT, RT, UT, and VT. Because of his involvement and service to NDT, he received the first Meritorious Service Award in 1993.
To provide recognition for an individual’s outstanding voluntary service to the Society, through single or aggregate activities, though not necessarily in any single year.
Nominees shall meet the following requirements:
- Have made outstanding voluntary service to ASNT for a minimum of 15 years, outside of an elected office or paid service
- Shall have made outstanding voluntary services through participation on ASNT local and national levels through single or aggregate activities.
- All nominations shall consist of a nomination letter showing the candidate’s exemplary service to ASNT.
- Nominations for the Charles N. Sherlock Meritorious Service Award may be made by members of the ASNT International Service Center staff, Board of Directors, Councils, the Non-Financial Recognition and Honors Committee, Local Sections, or any ASNT member.
Nomination Letter showing the candidate’s exemplary service to ASNT.
Method of Selection
The Recognition and Honors Committee selects up to one individual each year, provided the nominee has met the established guidelines.
- Announcements are made in the: August Issue of Materials Evaluation
- Nomination deadline: prior to February 1st
- The Recognition and Honors Committee will provide its recommendation to the ASNT Board of Directors during ASNT’s Spring Symposium
- The recipient will be notified following the Spring Symposium
- The recognition will be presented at ASNT’s Annual Conference
Form of AwardFrame Award
Current Award Recipient(s)
Past Award RecipientsPast Charles N Sherlock Meritorious Award Recipients
Awards and Honors Program
1711 Arlingate Lane
PO Box 28518
Columbus, OH 43228
Phone: 614-274-6003 Ext. 233 Fax: 614-274-6899