Faculty members from engineering or science programs at U.S. universities or colleges are eligible. No more than one (1) proposal per faculty member annually shall be considered.
Nominations must be in the form of a proposal that describes a program that has as its principal objective the modification of an existing course or the development of a new course to teach NDT principles, methods and/or applications. The proposal should be formatted as follows:
- Length: The proposal should not exceed 20 one-sided pages.
- Title Page: Should list the title, school name, faculty member contact information, anticipated starting date, estimated date of completion, and to who the funds are to be disbursed.
- Abstract: A brief summary of the nature and scope of the course development to be performed.
- Proposal: A detailed description of the modifications to existing course content and materials, or development of new course contents and materials indicating the objectives, planned approach, and expected results, including the number of students likely to be impacted.
- Program of Study: A brief description of the existing curriculum and how the modification or additions will impact and integrate with the overall department curriculum. A brief catalog description of the indicated courses will be helpful.
- Budget: The proposed use of the ASNT Faculty Grant funds should be indicated explicitly. It is anticipated that the grant funds shall be used to pay faculty salaries, purchased curriculum materials, audio-visual or online content. None of the ASNT Faculty Grant funds can be used for overhead or indirect institution expenses.
- Faculty Member: Background information on the lead faculty member and any other faculty member involved must be included.
- Departmental Support: A letter of support from the departmental administrator is required.
Click Here to Submit Your Nomination Online
The Financial Awards Committee selects up to two $10,000 grants each year based on the following evaluation criteria:
- Potential contribution to NDT
- Impact on current curriculum
- Thoroughness of approach
- Documentation on number of students likely to be impacted
- Level of cost-sharing
- Qualification of faculty members
- Letter of support from departmental administrator
- Nomination deadline: 1 December
- The Financial Awards Committee will provide its recommendation to the Board of Directors before or during ASNT’s Research Symposium.
- The recipient(s) and non-recipients will be notified following the ASNT Research Symposium.
- Funding will begin in May. The first payment will be 50% of the funds. Upon receipt of the final report, an additional 25% of the funds will be distributed. When the final report is approved, the final 25% of the funds will be distributed.
For any questions regarding the award process or timeline, please contact ASNT’s Program Coordinator, Jessica Ames (email@example.com).
Form of Award
$10,000 in funding. Recipients who are not members of ASNT shall be given a complimentary one (1) year membership.