Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)-Based Assessment of Concrete Bridge Deck Delamination Using Thermal and Visible Camera Sensors: A Preliminary Analysis
Publication: Publication Date: 1 November 2018Testing Method: ,
Infrared and visible cameras were mounted on an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) to image bridge deck surfaces and map likely concrete delaminations. The infrared sensor was first tested on laboratory validation experiments, to assess how well it could detect and map delaminations under controlled conditions. Field tests on two bridge deck surfaces further extend the validation dataset to real-world conditions for heterogeneous concrete surfaces. Performance of the mapping instrument and algorithms were evaluated through receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curves, giving acceptable results. To improve the performance of the mapping by reducing the rate of false positives, i.e., areas wrongly mapped as being affected by delamination, visible images were jointly analyzed with the infrared imagery. The potential for expanding the method to include other products derived from the visible camera data, including high density 3D point locations generated by photogrammetric methods, promises to further improve the performance of the method, potentially making it a viable and more effective option compared to other platforms and systems for imaging bridge decks for mapping delaminations.
- Guettala, A. and A. Abibsi. Materials and Structures 39(4):439–446 (2006).
- Masser, K. and W. Roddis. Journal of Transportation Engineering 116(5):583–601 (1990).
- Masliwec, T. Proceedings SPIE 0934, Thermosense X: Thermal Infrared Sensing for Diagnostics and Control, 19. Orlando Technical Symposium. doi:10.1117/12.968482 (1988).
- Washer, G., R. Fenwick, and N. Bolleni. Development of hand-held thermographic inspection technologies. Missouri Department of Transportation. Organizational Results Research Report. (2009).
- Manning, D. and F. Holt. Concrete International 2(11):34–42 (1980).
- Jense, J. Remote Sensing of the Environment: An Earth Resource Perspective. 2nd Edition. Prentice-Hall (2007). Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA.
- Vaghefi, K., R. Oats, D. Harris, T. Ahlborn, C. Brooks, K. Endsley, C. Roussi, R. Shuchman, J. Burns, and R. Dobson. Journal of Bridge Engineering 17:886–895 (2011).
- Vaghefi, K., T. Ahlborn, D. Harris, and C. Brooks. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities 29(4):04014102-1-8. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000465 (2013).
- Murphy, R., K. L. Dreger, S. Newsome, J. Rodocker, B. Slaughter, R. Smith, E. Steimle, T. Kimura, K. Makabe, K. Kon, H. Mizumoto, M. Hatayama, F. Matsuno, S. Tadokoro, and O. Kawase. Journal of Field Robotics 29(5):819–831 (2012).
- Paneque-GЗlvez, J., M. McCall, B. Napoletano, S. Wich, and L. Koh. Forests 5:1481–1507 (2014).
- Liu, X. F., Z. R. Peng, L. Y. Zhang, and L. Li. J. Transport. Syst. Eng. Inform. Technol. 12(1):91–97 (2012).
- Lucieer, A., S. Robinson, D. Turner, S. Harwin, and J. Kelcey. International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences XXXIX-B1:429– 433 (2012).
- Dobson, R. J., T. Colling, C. Brooks, C. Roussi, M. K. Watkins, and D. Dean. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2433(1):108–115 (2014).
- Roca, D., S. Lagüela, L. DТaz-VilariЦo, J. Armesto, and P. Arias. Automation in Construction 36:128–135 (2013).
- Liu, P., A. Chen, Y. Huang, J. Han, J. Lai, S. Kang, T. Wu, M. Wen, and M. Tsai. Smart Structures and Systems 13(6):1065–1094 (2014).
- FLIR. Tau 2 Technical Specifications. http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/view/?id=54717 (last accessed February 2015).
- TeAx. ThermalCapture Technical Specifications http://www.teaxtec.de/index.php?id= 23&L=1 (last accessed February 2015).
- FLIR. SC 640 Technical Specifications. http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/Thermography_APAC/Products/Product_Literture/SC640_Datasheet%20APAC.pdf (last accessed February 2015).
- Vaghefi, K. , PhD dissertation. Michigan Technological University, 156 pp (2013).
- Fawcett, T. Pattern Recognition Letters 27:861–874 (2006).
- Bergen R/C Helicopters. http://www.bergenrc.com/Multi.php (last accessed March 2015).
70 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares