Seismically Damaged Structure Assessment Under Subsequent Extreme Events
Conference: Publication Date: 26 March 2018
This article introduces a new approach for performing preliminary assessment for seismic damages and their severity by tracking the Fundamental Frequency of Damage (FFoD). Conventional damage assessment approaches monitor the global-behavior of the structure to capture anomalous structural responses. This requires for the damage to be severe enough to affect the overall structure behavior. The approach introduced in this article shifts from monitoring global structure, to monitoring the dynamic characteristics of the damage, namely the Fundamental Frequency of Damage (FFoD). The presence of structural damage will create a high-frequency oscillation, which characterizes the damage. FFoD is the frequency is of this oscillation. Identifying this oscillation is the recorded vibration is quite challenging since it often has low amplitude. To overcome this issue, the authors will utilize a new filtering technique that is capable of amplifying feeble signals by using rather than suppressing the noise, namely Underdamped Pinning Stochastic Resonance. With this filter, the signal is monitored at the FFoD to identify whether the damage present or not. A case study for a seismic moment frame is presented in this article.
- S. Krishnan, C. Ji, D. Komatitsch, J. Tromp, Case studies of damage to tall steel moment-frame buildings in southern California during large San Andreas earthquakes, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 96 (4A) (2006) 1523-1537.
- Analytical and field investigations of buildings affected by the Northridge earthquake of January 17, 1994–Part 1, SAC 95 4 (1995).
- Analytical and field investigations of buildings affected by the Northridge earthquake of January 17. 1994, SAC, 1995.
- E.P. Carden, P. Fanning, "Vibration based condition monitoring: a review", Structural health monitoring 3(4) (2004) 355-377.
- A. Rytter, "Vibrational based inspection of civil engineering structures", Dept. of Building Technology and Structural Engineering, Aalborg University, 1993.
- W. Fan, P. Qiao, "Vibration-based damage identification methods: a review and comparative study", Structural Health Monitoring 10(1) (2011) 83-111.
- R. Adams, P. Cawley, C. Pye, B. Stone, "A vibration technique for non-destructively assessing the integrity of structures", Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 20(2) (1978) 93-100.
- P. Cawley, R. Adams, "The location of defects in structures from measurements of natural frequencies", The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design 14(2) (1979) 49-57.
- O. Salawu, "Detection of structural damage through changes in frequency: a review", Engineering structures 19(9) (1997) 718-723.
- E. Winardi, A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, "Bridge Curvature for Detecting Bridge Damage Location", 26th ASNT Research Symposium, 2017, pp. 275-283.
- C. Tan, A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, "Wavelet Based Damage Assessment and Localization for Bridge Structures", 26th ASNT Research Symposium, 2017, pp. 228-240.
- C. Tan, A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, “ ‘Drive-by’ bridge frequency-based monitoring utilizing wavelet transform”, Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring 7(5) (2017) 615-625.
- A.U. Elhattab, Nasim, “The Implication of Analysis Module on Vehicle Bridge Interaction Modelling”, Civil Engineering Research Journal 2(5) (2017) 4.
- A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, E. O'Brien, Y. Wang, “Field Verification for Drive-by Bridge Monitoring using Non- specialized Inspection Vehicle”, 26th ASNT Research Symposium, 2017, pp. 66-74.
- A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, E. O'Brien, “Drive-by Bridge Damage Detection Using Non-specialized Vehicle”, 26th ASNT Research Symposium, 2017, pp. 43-54.
- A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, E. O'Brien, “Drive-by Bridge Inspection Using Inverse Dynamics Optimization Algorithm”, 26th ASNT Research Symposium, 2017, pp. 55-65.
- A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, E. OBrien, “Identifying Localized Bridge Damage Using Frequency Domain Decomposition”, 26th ASNT Research Symposium, 2017, pp. 75-83.
- A. ElHattab, N. Uddin, E. OBrien, “Drive-by bridge damage detection using non-specialized instrumented vehicle”, Bridge Structures 12(3-4) (2017) 73-84.
- A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, “Drive-by Bridge Damage Monitoring: Concise Review”, Civil Engineering Research Journal 1(1) (2017) 6.
- A. Elhattab, N. Uddin, E. OBrien, “Drive-by bridge damage monitoring using Bridge Displacement Profile Difference”, Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring 6(5) (2016) 839-850.
- A.A. Elhattab, “Drive-by bridge damage inspection”, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2015.
- R. Bjorhovde, S. Chakrabarti, “Tests of full-size gusset plate connections”, Journal of Structural Engineering 111(3) (1985) 667-684.
- R. Benzi, A. Sutera, A. Vulpiani, “The mechanism of stochastic resonance”, Journal of Physics A: mathematical and general 14(11) (1981) L453.
- L. Gammaitoni, P. Hänggi, P. Jung, F. Marchesoni, “Stochastic resonance”, Reviews of modern physics 70(1) (1998) 223.
- P. Jung, P. Hänggi, “Amplification of small signals via stochastic resonance”, Physical review A 44(12) (1991) 8032.
- F. Chapeau-Blondeau, “Stochastic resonance and optimal detection of pulse trains by threshold devices”, Digital Signal Processing 9(3) (1999) 162-177.
- H.-L. He, T.-Y. Wang, Y.-G. Leng, Y. Zhang, Q. Li, “Study on non-linear filter characteristic and engineering application of cascaded bistable stochastic resonance system”, Mechanical systems and signal processing 21(7) (2007) 2740-2749.
- Q. Huang, J. Liu, H. Li, “A modified adaptive stochastic resonance for detecting faint signal in sensors”, Sensors 7(2) (2007) 157-165.
- Q. He, J. Wang, “Effects of multiscale noise tuning on stochastic resonance for weak signal detection”, Digital Signal Processing 22(4) (2012) 614-621.
- Q. He, J. Wang, Y. Liu, D. Dai, F. Kong, “Multiscale noise tuning of stochastic resonance for enhanced fault diagnosis in rotating machines”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 28 (2012) 443-457.
- Y. Qin, Y. Tao, Y. He, B. Tang, “Adaptive bistable stochastic resonance and its application in mechanical fault feature extraction”, Journal of Sound and Vibration 333(26) (2014) 7386-7400.
- H. Zhang, Q. He, F. Kong, “Stochastic resonance in an underdamped system with pinning potential for weak signal detection”, Sensors 15(9) (2015) 21169-21195.
31 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
1 Facebook Shares