Passenger Vehicle Effect on the Truck Weight Calculations using B-WIM System
Conference: Publication Date: 26 March 2018
Bridge Weigh-in-Motion (BWIM) is the technology of using the bridge as a weigh scales to find the weights of passing trucks. Weight calculations should have a high level of accuracy to enable the B-WIM system from being a tool for direct overload enforcement. This paper focuses on improving the accuracy of the B-WIM system when a passenger vehicle travels over the bridge side by side with the target truck. A solution has been suggested to remove this effect by considering measurements on girders under the truck lane only and exclude the ones under the passenger vehicle lane. Since using the measurements under the vehicle lane will reduce measurements number and thus affect results accuracy, an approximate method are developed to deal with the lower number of measurements. The method has been discussed analytically and experimentally.
- FHWA, 2017. , "2015 Status of the Nation’sHighways, Bridges and Transit: Conditions and Performance." ASCE, 2017, "ASCE analysis of U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.."
- U. G. A. O., 2017, "Report to Congressional Committees: Highway Bridges—Linking Funding to Conditions May Help Demonstrate Impact of Federal Investment."
- O'Brien, E. J., Znidaric, A., and Dempsey, A. T., 1999, "Comparison of two independently developed bridge weigh–in–motion systems," International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems, 6(1-4), pp. 147-161.
- Chan, T. H. T., and O'Connor, C., 1990, "Wheel loads from highway bridge strains: field studies," Journal of structural engineering, 116(7), pp. 1751-1771.
- Chan, T. H., Law, S., and Yung, T., 2000, "Moving force identification using an existing prestressed concrete bridge," Engineering Structures, 22(10), pp. 1261-1270.
- Jiang, R., Au, F., and Cheung, Y., 2003, "Identification of masses moving on multi-span beams based on a genetic algorithm," Computers & structures, 81(22), pp. 2137-2148.
- Law, S., and Fang, Y., 2001, "Moving force identification: optimal state estimation approach," Journal of Sound and Vibration, 239(2), pp. 233-254.
- Pinkaew, T., 2006, "Identification of vehicle axle loads from bridge responses using updated static component technique," Engineering Structures, 28(11), pp. 1599-1608.
- Mohammed, Y. M., and Uddin, N., "Bridge Damage Detection using the Inverse Dynamics Optimization Algorithm," Proc. 26th ASNT Research Symposium, pp. 175-184.
- González, A., Rowley, C., and OBrien, E. J., 2008, "A general solution to the identification of moving vehicle forces on a bridge," International journal for numerical methods in engineering, 75(3), pp. 335-354.
- Quilligan, M., Karoumi, R., and O’Brien, E. J., 2002, "Development and testing of a 2-dimensional multi- vehicle bridge-WIM algorithm," Third international conference on weigh-in-motion, pp. p. 199-208.
- Lydon, M., Taylor, S., Robinson, D., Mufti, A., and Brien, E., 2016, "Recent developments in bridge weigh in motion (B-WIM)," Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, 6(1), pp. 69-81.
- Hitchcock, W. A., Salama, T., Zhao, H., Callahan, D., Toutanji, H., Richardson, J., and Jackson, J., 2011, "Expanding Portable B-WIM Technology," Rep, 8204.
- Busby, H. R., and Trujillo, D. M., 1987, "Solution of an inverse dynamics problem using an eigenvalue reduction technique," Computers & structures, 25(1), pp. 109-117.
- Trujillo, D. M., and Busby, H. R., 1997, Practical inverse analysis in engineering, CRC Press.
- Hansen, P. C., 1992, "Analysis of discrete ill-posed problems by means of the L-curve," SIAM review, 34(4), pp. 561-580.
- Trujillo, D., 1978, "Application of dynamic programming to the general inverse problem," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 12(4), pp. 613-624.
- Rowley, C., OBrien, E. J., González, A., and Žnidarič, A., 2009, "Experimental testing of a moving force identification bridge weigh-in-motion algorithm," Experimental mechanics, 49(5), pp. 743-746. Kalyankar, R., and Uddin, N., "Field Verification and Optimization of Weighing Sensor Location on US Girder Bridges for Bridge Weigh in Motion (B-WIM)," Proc. Transportation Research Board 94th Annual Meeting.
- Zhao, Z., Uddin, N., and O’Brien, E., "Field verification of a filtered measured moment strain approach to the bridge weigh-in-motion algorithm," Proc. Proceedings of the international conference on weigh-in-motion (ICWIM 6), pp. 63-78.
- Schmidt, F., and Jacob, B., "Experimentation of a bridge WIM system in France and applications to bridge monitoring and overload screening," Proc. 6th International Conference on Weigh-In-Motion (ICWIM 6) International Society for Weigh-In-MotionInstitut Francais des Sciences et Technologies des Transports, de l'Aménagement et des Réseaux (IFSTARR) International Transport ForumForum of European National Highway Research Laboratories (FEHRL) Transportation Research BoardFederal Highway Administration.
- Rowley, C. W., 2007, "Moving force identification of axle forces on bridges," University College Dublin, Ireland.
- Elhattab, A., Uddin, N., and OBrien, E., 2016, "Drive-by bridge damage monitoring using Bridge Displacement Profile Difference," Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, 6(5), pp. 839-850.
- Zhao, H., Uddin, N., O’Brien, E. J., Shao, X., and Zhu, P., 2013, "Identification of vehicular axle weights with a bridge weigh-in-motion system considering transverse distribution of wheel loads," Journal of Bridge Engineering, 19(3), p. 04013008.
- Law, S., Chan, T. H., Zhu, Q., and Zeng, Q., 2001, "Regularization in moving force identification," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 127(2), pp. 136-148.
- Finney, R. L., Weir, M. D., and Thomas, G. B., 2001, Thomas' calculus: early transcendentals, Addison- Wesley.
- Rowley, C. W., 2007, Moving force identification of axle forces on bridges, University College Dublin.
15 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares