NDT Methods Applicable to Health Monitoring of ABC Closure Joints
Conference: Publication Date: 26 March 2018
Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) promises to reduce on-site construction time and mobility impact in bridge construction and rehabilitation projects by the use of special design and construction methods. Generally, it uses precast elements of the bridge fabricated on site or away, moved to the bridge location and installed in place. The prefabricated elements are then made continuous using cast-in-place joints. Deck joints are normally referred to as “Closure Joints.” The quality of the joints, expected to become serviceable quickly, depends on the concrete mix design, reinforcement and enclosure details, and is influenced by placement and curing procedure. Concerns has been raised about long-term durability of these joints. Normally, they contain reinforcing bars and enclosures of various shapes that in some cases create congestion within the joint. To provide shear connectivity, some of these joints are designed with cavities within the precast elements. In all, the specific nature of the joint application, in-situ casting, curing, material incompatibility, cold joints, cavities and steel congestion contribute to create potential for leaving defects and anomalies in the closure joints. This, in turn, results in a higher potential for exposure and other detrimental effects with possible degradation in time, and therefore reducing the strength and serviceability of the joint and the structure. The long-term deflections and environmental loading will only exacerbate the situation.
Hence, evaluation and health monitoring of the closure joints becomes inevitable. A variety of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) methods have been utilized for evaluation and structural health monitoring of bridges including those with closure joints. However, a concerted attempt for categorization of these methods, comparison of capabilities, and selection of methods most applicable to closure joints is lacking. As a part of the ABC-UTC program at the Florida International University, a comprehensive study is being undertaken to (a) investigate and identify the defects and problems associated with closure joints, (b) review and evaluation of available NDT methods for applicability to closure joints, and (c) finally selection and verification of the most promising methods. This paper summarizes the results of the ongoing study to date that includes parts (a) and (b) in the overall scope of the project.
- Attanayake, U., & Aktan, H. (2015). First-generation ABC system, evolving design, and half a century of performance: Michigan side-by-side box-beam bridges. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 29(3), . DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000526
- Culmo, M. P., 2011, ‘Accelerated Bridge Construction - Experience in Design, Fabrication and Erection of
- Prefabricated Bridge Elements and Systems,’ FHWA, McLean, VA, Rep. FHWA-HIF-12-013. Jahromi, A. J., Dickinson, M., Valikhani, A. and Azizinamini, A., 2018, “Toward Development of Best Practices for Closure Joints in ABC Projects”, Transportation Research Board 97th Annual Meeting.
- Ma, Z., Lewis, S., Cao, Q., He, Z., Burdette, E. and French, C. (2012). Transverse Joint Details with Tight Bend Diameter U-Bars for Accelerated Bridge Construction. Journal of Structural Engineering, 138(6), pp.697-707.
- Culmo, M. P., 2009, “Connection Details for Prefabricated Bridge Elements and Systems,” Federal Highway Administration, Rep. FHWA-IF-09-010.
- Lee, S., Kalos, N., and Shin, D. H., 2014, “Non-Destructive Testing Methods in the U.S. for Bridge
- Inspection and Maintenance,” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 18(5), pp 1322-1331.
- Gucunski, N., Nazarian, S., Wiggenhauser, H. and Kutrubes, D., 2010, “Nondestructive Testing to Identify Concrete Bridge Deck Deterioration,” SHRP 2–FEHRL Workshop, TRA 2010 Brussels, Belgium.
- Mccann, D. and Forde, M., 2001, “Review of NDT methods in the assessment of concrete and masonry structures,” NDT & E International, 34(2), pp 71-84.
- Hurlebaus, S., Hueste, M., Karthik, M. and Terzioglu, T., 2016, “Condition Assessment of Bridge Post- Tensioning and Stay Cable Systems Using NDE Methods,” Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, College Station, TX.
- Rehman, S. K. U., Ibrahim, Z., Memon, S. A., and Jameel, M., 2016 “Nondestructive test methods for concrete bridges: A review,” Construction and Building Materials, 107, pp 58-86.
- Yehia, S., Abudayyeh, O., Nabulsi, S. and Abdelqader, I., 2007, “Detection of Common Defects in Concrete Bridge Decks Using Nondestructive Evaluation Techniques,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, 12(2), pp 215- 225.
- Huston, D., Hu, J. Q., Maser, K., Weedon, W. and Adam C., 2000 “GIMA Ground Penetrating Radar System for Monitoring Concrete Bridge Decks,” Journal of Applied Geophysics, 43(2-4), pp 139-146.
- Farhangdoust, S., Kianifar, A., Najafpoor, A., 2011, “Designing and Manufacturing All-way Acoustic Generator for Testing the Frequency of Sound Transmission Loss (STL)”, 1st ISAV, Tehran, Iran.
- Schuller, M., 2017, “Nondestructive Evaluation and Testing of Masonry”, Workshop, The American Institute of Architects Continuing Education Systems Course.
- Hellier, C. J., 2001, Handbook of nondestructive evaluation, New York: McGraw-Hill, Columbus, OH. Mohamed, O. and Rens, K. L., 2001, “Ultrasonic testing of properties of 50-year-old concrete,” Materials Evaluation, 59(12), pp 1426-1430.
- Hoegh, K. E., 2013, “Ultrasonic linear array evaluation of concrete pavements,” Dissertation, University of Minnesota, MN.
- Freeseman, K. and Khazanovich, L., 2016, “Quantitative Signal Analysis of Concrete Pavements Using Ultrasonic Linear Array Technology,” The American Society for Non-Destructive Testing Digital Library. Senyurek, V. Y., Baghalian, A., Tashakori, S., Mcdaniel, D. and Tansel, I. N., 2018, “Localization of multiple defects using the compact phased array (CPA) method,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 413, pp 383-394.
- Mehrabi, A. B., 2006, “In-Service Evaluation of Cable-Stayed Bridges, Overview of Available Methods and Findings,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, 11(6), pp 716-724.
- System Reference Manual 2008 Slab Impulse Response,’ 2008, Manual. [Online]. Available: www.olsonengineering.com [Accessed: 10-Nov-2017]. 1998, ‘Nondestructive Test Methods for Evaluation of Concrete in Structures ACI,’ American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan, Rep. ACI 228.2R-98.
- Liang, Z., Lee, G.C. and Kong, F., 1997, "On Detection of Damage Location of Bridges," Proceedings of the 15th International Modal Analysis Conference, Orlando, FL, 1, pp 308-312.
- Banan, M. R., Banan, M. R. and Hjelmstad, K. D., 1994, “Parameter Estimation of Structures from Static Response. II. Numerical Simulation Studies,” Journal of Structural Engineering, 120(11), pp 3259-3283. Sanayei, M., Imbaro, G.R., McClain, A.S. and Brown, L.C., 1997, "Structural Modal Updating Using Experimental Static Measurements," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 123(6), pp 792-798.
- Mehrabi, A. B., Tabatabai, H. and Lotfi, H. R., 1998, “Damage Detection in Structures Using Precursor transformation method for,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 9(10), 808-817.
- Ghasemi, H., Ibrahim, F. I. S., Gucunski, N. and Maher A., (2013) “Robotic System for Condition Assessment of Concrete Bridge Decks,” U.S. DOT/FHWA.” Available on line: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/.
- Zink, J. and Lovelace, B., 2015, “Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Bridge Inspection Demonstration Project,” Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Russell, H., Ralls, M., Tang, B., Bhide, S., Brecto, B., Calvert, E., Capers, H., Dorgan, D., Matsumoto, E., Napier, C., and Nickas, W., 2005, ‘Prefabricated Bridge Elements and Systems in Japan and Europe,’ FHWA, Rep. FHWA-PL-05-003.
- Porter, S. D., Julander, J. L., Halling, M. W. and Barr, P. J., 2012, ‘Shear Testing of Precast Bridge Deck Panel Transverse Connections.’ Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 26(4), 462-468.
- Adjacent precast box beam bridges,’ The Construction Specifier CSI, https://www.constructionspecifier.com.
- Marin, D., III, 2008, “Accelerated Bridge Construction,” Iowa DOT ABC Workshop.
31 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares