Fully Automated Visualization of Concrete Bridge Deck Condition from GPR Data
Conference: Publication Date: 27 August 2018Testing Method:
Ground penetrating radar (GPR) is one of the most commonly used technologies for condition assessment of concrete bridge decks. However, there have been no fully automated algorithms to visualize the data collected with this technique. In such context, the current paper presents a method for a full automation of GPR data visualization and analysis. Based on the background removal, depth correction, synthetic aperture focusing technique (SAFT), and interpolation algorithms, this automated method produces a plan view map of amplitude of GPR signals. In the obtained map, two types of information are observed at the same time. First, as the strongest reflectors of electromagnetic energy, rebars will appear as the most visible. Second, the areas of corrosive environment and, thus, likely corrosion, will be detected as having low amplitude rebar reflections. As a proof of concept, the proposed method was implemented for two bare concrete bridge decks in the United States. In both cases, the results obtained were excellent where the maps pinpointed the areas affected by corrosion. These areas were confirmed by other methods of evaluation, namely electrical resistivity (ER) and half-cell potential (HCP). With the demonstrated performance, the proposed method is expected to be an excellent alternative to the available methods of GPR data evaluation and visualization. In the future, it should be improved to provide an indication of corrosion severity/probability at each deck location.
- Gucunski, N. and National Research Council, 2013. Nondestructive testing to identify concrete bridge deck deterioration. Transportation Research Board.
- Gucunski, N., Pailes, B., Kim, J., Azari, H. and Dinh, K., 2016. Capture and quantification of deterioration progression in concrete bridge decks through periodical NDE surveys. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 23(1), p.B4016005.
- Gucunski, N., Basily, B., Kim, J., Yi, J., Duong, T., Dinh, K., Kee, S.H. and Maher, A., 2017. RABIT: implementation, performance validation and integration with other robotic platforms for improved management of bridge decks. International Journal of Intelligent Robotics and Applications, 1(3), pp.271-286.
- Tarussov, A., Vandry, M. and De La Haza, A., 2013. Condition assessment of concrete structures using a new analysis method: Ground-penetrating radar computer-assisted visual interpretation. Construction and Building Materials, 38, pp.1246-1254.
- Dinh, K., Gucunski, N., Kim, J. and Duong, T.H., 2016. Understanding depth-amplitude effects in assessment of GPR data from concrete bridge decks. NDT & E International, 83, pp.48-58.
- Chung, T., Carter, C.R., Masliwec, T. and Manning, D.G., 1992. Impulse radar evaluation of asphalt-covered bridge decks. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 28(1), pp.125-137.
- Barnes, C.L. and Trottier, J.F., 2004. Effectiveness of ground penetrating radar in predicting deck repair quantities. Journal of infrastructure systems, 10(2), pp.69-76.
- Barnes, C.L., Trottier, J.F. and Forgeron, D., 2008. Improved concrete bridge deck evaluation using GPR by accounting for signal depth– amplitude effects. NDT & E International, 41(6), pp.427-433.
- Martino, N., Maser, K., Birken, R. and Wang, M., 2016. Quantifying bridge deck corrosion using ground penetrating radar. Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, 27(2), pp.112-124.
- Dinh, K., Zayed, T., Moufti, S., Shami, A., Jabri, A., Abouhamad, M. and Dawood, T., 2015. Clustering-based threshold model for condition assessment of concrete bridge decks with ground-penetrating radar. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, (2522), pp.81-89.
- Dinh, K., Zayed, T., Romero, F. and Tarussov, A., 2014. Method for analyzing time-series GPR data of concrete bridge decks. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 20(6), p.04014086.
- Dinh, K., Gucunski, N., Kim, J. and Duong, T.H., 2017. Method for attenuation assessment of GPR data from concrete bridge decks. NDT & E International, 92, pp.50-58.
- Langenberg, K.J., Berger, M., Kreutter, T., Mayer, K. and Schmitz, V., 1986. Synthetic aperture focusing technique signal processing. NDT international, 19(3), pp.177-189.
- Spies, M., Rieder, H., Dillhöfer, A., Schmitz, V. and Müller, W., 2012. Synthetic aperture focusing and time-offlight diffraction ultrasonic imaging— past and present. Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 31(4), pp.310- 323.
- Schickert, M., Krause, M. and Müller, W., 2003. Ultrasonic imaging of concrete elements using reconstruction by synthetic aperture focusing technique. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 15(3), pp.235-246.
- Krause, M., Milmann, B., Mielentz, F., Streicher, D., Redmer, B., Mayer, K., Langenberg, K.J. and Schickert, M., 2008. Ultrasonic imaging methods for investigation of post-tensioned concrete structures: a study of interfaces at artificial grouting faults and its verification. Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 27(1-3), pp.67- 82.
- Ganguli, A., Rappaport, C.M., Abramo, D. and Wadia-Fascetti, S., 2012. Synthetic aperture imaging for flaw detection in a concrete medium. NDT & E International, 45(1), pp.79-90.
- Hoegh, K., Khazanovich, L. and Yu, H., 2011. Ultrasonic tomography for evaluation of concrete pavements. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, (2232), pp.85-94.
- Özdemir, C., Demirci, Ş., Yiğit, E. and Yilmaz, B., 2014. A review on migration methods in B -scan ground penetrating radar imaging. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2014.
- Hugenschmidt, J., Kalogeropoulos, A., Soldovieri, F. and Prisco, G., 2010. Processing strategies for highresolution GPR concrete inspections. NDT & E International, 43(4), pp.334-342.
- Gucunski, N., Rascoe, C. and Maher, A., 2008, April. 3d-GPR in transportation infrastructure evaluation. In 21st EEGS Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems.
- Wang, Z.W., Zhou, M., Slabaugh, G.G., Zhai, J. and Fang, T., 2011. Automatic detection of bridge deck condition from ground penetrating radar images. IEEE transactions on automation science and engineering, 8(3), pp.633-640.
- Kaur, P., Dana, K.J., Romero, F.A. and Gucunski, N., 2016. Automated GPR rebar analysis for robotic bridge deck evaluation. IEEE transactions on cybernetics, 46(10), pp.2265-2276.
- Dinh, K., Gucunski, N. and Duong, T.H., 2018. An algorithm for automatic localization and detection of rebars from GPR data of concrete bridge decks. Automation in Construction, 89, pp.292-298.
- Dinh, K., Gucunski, N. and Duong, T.H., 2018. Migration-based automated rebar picking for condition assessment of concrete bridge decks with ground penetrating radar. NDT & E International, 98, pp.45-54.
- Yelf, R., 2004, June. Where is true time zero?. In Ground Penetrating Radar, 2004. GPR 2004. Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on (Vol. 1, pp. 279-282). IEEE.
- Khan, U.S. and Al-Nuaimy, W., 2010, June. Background removal from GPR data using eigenvalues. In Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), 2010 13th International Conference on (pp. 1-5). IEEE.
- Kim, J.H., Cho, S.J. and Yi, M.J., 2007. Removal of ringing noise in GPR data by signal processing. Geosciences Journal, 11(1), pp.75-81.
35 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares