Field Verification for B-WIM System using Wireless Sensors
Conference: Publication Date: 26 March 2018
Bridge Weigh-in-Motion (B-WIM) is the concept of using measured strains on a bridge to calculate the static weights of passing traffic loads as they pass overhead at full highway speed. Weight calculations should have a high level of accuracy to enable the B-WIM system from being a tool for direct overload enforcement. This paper describes the experimental testing of the B-WIM system based on moving force identification (MFI) theory. The bridge was instrumented by wireless accelerometers and strain gages attached to the girders to measure the dynamics response when the calibrated trucks pass the bridge. LS-Dyna finite element program is used to imitate the 3-D bridge model, which validated utilizing the collected acceleration data. Then measurements from the wireless strain sensors are utilized to run the (MFI) algorithm and calculate the truck weight.
- ASCE, 2017, "2017 Report card for America's infrastructure," http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/.
- O'Brien, E. J., Znidaric, A., and Dempsey, A. T., 1999, "Comparison of two independently developed bridge weigh– in– motion systems," International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems, 6(1-4), pp. 147-161.
- Richardson, J., Jones, S., Brown, A., O’Brien, E., and Hajializadeh, D., 2014, "On the use of bridge weigh -inmotion for overweight truck enforcement," International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems, 21(2), pp. 83- 104.
- Moses, F., 1979, "Weigh-in-motion system using instrumented bridges," Journal of Transportation Engineering, 105:233-249.
- Mohammed, Y. M., and Uddin, N., "Bridge Damage Detection using the Inverse Dynamics Optimization Algorithm," Proc. 26th ASNT Research Symposium, pp. 175-184.
- Tikhonov, A. N., Arsenin, V. I. A. k., and John, F., 1977, Solutions of ill-posed problems, Winston Washington, DC.
- Neubauer, A., 1989, "Tikhonov regularisation for non-linear ill-posed problems: optimal convergence rates and finite-dimensional approximation," Inverse problems, 5(4), p. 541.
- Zhu, X., and Law, S., 2002, "Moving loads identification through regularization," Journal of engineering mechanics, 128(9), pp. 989-1000.
- Law, S., Chan, T. H., Zhu, QX, and Zeng, Q., 2001, "Regularization in moving force identification," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 127(2), pp. 136-148.
- Zhu, X., and Law, S., 2003, "Identification of moving interaction forces with incomplete velocity information," Mechanical systems and signal processing, 17(6), pp. 1349-1366.
- Zhu, X., and Law, S., 1999, "Moving forces identification on a multi-span continuous bridge," Journal of sound and vibration, 228(2), pp. 377-396.
- Law, S., and Zhu, X., 2000, "Study on different beam models in moving force identification," Journal of sound and vibration, 234(4), pp. 661-679.
- Trujillo, D., 1978, "Application of dynamic programming to the general inverse problem," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 12(4), pp. 613-624.
- Law, S., and Fang, Y., 2001, "Moving force identification: optimal state estimation approach," Journal of Sound and Vibration, 239(2), pp. 233-254.
- González, A., Rowley, C., and O’Brien, E. J., 2008, "A general solution to the identification of moving vehicle forces on a bridge," International journal for numerical methods in engineering, 75(3), pp. 335-354.
- Busby, H. R., and Trujillo, D. M., 1987, "Solution of an inverse dynamics problem using an eigenvalue reduction technique," Computers & structures, 25(1), pp. 109-117.
- Trujillo, D. M., and Busby, H. R., 1997, Practical inverse analysis in engineering, CRC Press. (19) Hansen, P. C., 1992, "Analysis of discrete ill-posed problems by means of the L-curve," SIAM review, 34(4), pp. 561-580.
- Kane, M., Zhu, D., Hirose, M., Dong, X., Winter, B., Häckell, M., Lynch, J. P., Wang, Y., and Swartz, A., "Development of an extensible dual-core wireless sensing node for cyber-physical systems," Proc. Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical, and Aerospace Systems 2014, International Society for Optics and Photonics, p. 90611U.
- Rowley, C. W., 2007, Moving force identification of axle forces on bridges, University College Dublin.
15 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares