Condition Assessment of Concrete Beam Using a Laser Vibrometer
Conference: Publication Date: 27 August 2018Testing Method:
The article proposes a new methodology based on surface waves and non-contact laser vibometer ultrasonic readings for damage evaluation of concrete surfaces. Non-destructive ultrasonic evaluation (NDE) is commonly used for assessment of civil infrastructure and characterization of construction materials. It is an efficient technique that could save millions of dollars with respect to traditional intrusive tests. However, limitations regarding the use of NDE techniques are still present. Readings are affected by the quality and type of coupling between the transducers and the tested material, as well as the application pressure of the transducers. In order to avoid the influence of the coupling, and eliminate the difficulty of its repeatability, authors use non-contact NDE techniques, utilizing a state-of-the-art laser vibrometer. Possible application of a proposed methodology includes damage evaluation of concrete surfaces: void, crack detection, and localization of close to cover reinforcement (including glass fiber reinforced polymer (GFRP) rebars).
- Aggelis, D.G., Polyzos, D., Philippidis, T.P., 2005, Wave dispersion and attenuation in fresh mortar: theoretical predictions vs. experimental results, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of solids, vol. 53, pp. 857– 883.
- Dai, S., Wuutke, F. Santamarina, J. C., 2013, Coda Wave Analysis to Monitor Processes in Soils, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 139, No. 9, pp. 1504-1511.
- Kim, S.D., Shin D.H, Lim, L.M., Lee, J. Kim, S.H., 2005, Designed Strength Identification of Concrete by Ultrasonic Signal Processing Based on Artificial Intelligence Techniques, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 52, No.7, pp. 1145-1151.
- Kırlangıç, A. S., Cascante, G., and Polak, M. A., Condition Assessment of Cementitious Materials Using Surface Waves in Ultrasonic Frequency Range, Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol. 38, No. 2, 2015, pp. 139-149.
- Lester, W. Schmerr Jr., and Song Sung-Jin. 2007. Ultrasonic Nondestructive Evaluations Systems. Models and Measurements. New York: Springer.
- McCann, D. M. and Forde, M., 2001, Review of ndt methods in the assessment of concrete and masonry structures, NDTE International, vol. 34, pp. 71– 84.
- Planes, T., Larose, E., 2013, A review of ultrasonic Coda Wave Interferometry in concrete, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 53, pp. 248-255.
- Popovics, J. S., 2003, Nde techniques for concrete and masonry structures. Prog. Struct. Engng Mater., vol. 5, pp. 49– 59.
- Scruby, C. B., and L. E. Drian. 1990. Laser Ultrasonics. Techniques and Applications. Bristol: Adam Hilger.
- Snieder, R., 2006. The Theory of Coda Wave Interferometry, Pure and Applied Geophysics, 163, pp. 455-473.
22 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares