Optimal Spatial Filtering Schemes and Compact Tomography Setups
Publication: Publication Date: 1 May 2016Testing Method:
Three compact computerized tomography (CT) scanner prototypes are established and tested for acceptable reconstruction results. Performance of conventional iterative reconstruction algorithm is enhanced via incorporating a spatial filtering/masking step. Generally, these masking strategies incorporate an arbitrary (3 3 or 2 2) size of square averaging mask to subdue the ill-posedness. Three different spatial filtering schemes are tested in this work. The objective is to remove any dependency on a user for deciding an appropriate masking parameter. The outcome of the simulation study is successfully verified for three real data situations using three specimens with pre-assigned/known inner profile. Such austere scanning situations arise in real-time environment especially for undetachable/fixed small size objects situated in inaccessible locations. The present study encourages the development of low budget CT setups.
- M. Goswami, P. Munshi, and A. Saxena. Nuclear Science and Engineering 176(2):240–253 (2014).
- D. L. Donoho and Tanner, J. Proceedings of the IEEE 98: 913–924 (2010).
- M. Goswami, S. Shakya, A. Saxena, and P. Munshi. NDT and E International. 72:17–24 (2015).
- A. K. Louis and P. Maass. Inverse Problems 6:427–440 (1990). Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0266-5611/6/3/011. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- M. Eryigit. Journal of Inequalities and Applications 428 (2013). Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1029-242X-2013-428. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- A. Savitzky and M. J. E. Golay. Analytical Chemistry 36(8):1627–1639 (1964). Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ac60214a047. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- G. S. Watson. The Indian Journal of Statistics, Series A 26(4):359–372 (1964).
- E. A. Nadaraya. Theory Probab. Appl. 9(1):141–142. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1137/1109020. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- D. W. Parreira, J. C. M. Bermudez, C. Richard, and J.-Y. Tourneret. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 60(5):2208–2222 (2012).
- M. Goswami, A. Saxena, and P. Munshi. Proceedings of 52nd Annual Conference of BINDT, NDT 2013, Telford, U.K., 98 (2013).
- M. Goswami, P. Munshi, A. Saxena, M. K. Gupta, and A. Kumar. Fusion Engineering and Design 89(11):2659–2665 (2014).
- C. R. Vogel. Computational Methods in Inverse Problems. SIAM, Providence (2002).
- X. Li, W. Huang, and W. D. Rooney. Magnetic Resonance Imaging 30(9):1313–1322 (2012).
- M. Welvaert and Y. Rosseel. PLOS ONE 8(11):e77089 (2013). doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0077089.
- M. Goswami, P. Munshi, A. Khanna, and Saxena. Sensors Journal, IEEE 15(2) (2015).
- J. H. Hubbell. Int. J. Appl. Radiat. Isot. 33:1269–1290 (1982).
26 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares