Nondestructive Testing by
Full-field Strains from Mechanoluminescent Sensors
Publication: Publication Date: 1 June 2016
This paper introduces a new NDT technique that uses mechanoluminescence sensing materials. The mechanoluminescent sensor technology detects cracks and material discontinuities visually through the application of luminescent materials embedded in a coating. The technology does not require expensive analytical equipment or highly skilled operators. The technology can be applied to a variety of materials, requires little skill to diagnose problems, is less hazardous than other options, is indifferent to the direction of the discontinuity, and provides full-field crack and stress visualization. The following sections describe: what the mechanoluminescence phenomenon is; how the mechanoluminescent sensor and NDT system can be manufactured; how material discontinuities can be detected by the mechanoluminescent NDT system; how quantitative strains can be measured by the mechanoluminescent sensor; advantages and disadvantages of the mechanoluminescent sensor and NDT system; and application examples of strain sensing and crack detection by the mechanoluminescent sensing materials. The last section presents a conclusion.
- Chandra, V.K., and B.P. Chandra, “Suitable Materials for Elastico Mechanoluminescence-based Stress Sensors,” Optical Materials, Vol. 34, No. 1, 2011, pp. 194–200.
- Chang, C.W., P.H. Chen, H.S. Lien, “Evaluation of Residual Stress in Pre-stressed Concrete Material by Digital Image Processing Photoelastic Coating and Hole Drilling Method,” Measurement, Vol. 42, No. 4, 2009, pp. 552–558.
- De Nicola, S., P. Ferraro, I. Gurov, R. Koviazin, and M. Volkov, “Fringe Analysis for Moiré Interferometry by Modification of the Local Intensity Histogram and Use of a Two-dimensional Fourier Transform Method,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 9, 2000, pp. 1328–1334.
- Fujio, Y., C. Xu, M. Nishibori, Y. Teraoka, K. Kamitani, N. Tarasaki, and N. Ueno, “Development of Highly Sensitive Mechanoluminescent Sensor Aiming at Small Strain Measurement,” Journal of Advanced Dielectrics, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2014.
- Jha, P., and B.P. Chandra, “Survey of the Literature on Mechanoluminescence from 1605 to 2013,” Luminescence, Vol. 29, No. 8, 2014, pp. 977–993.
- Kim, J.S., and G.W. Kim, “New Non-contacting Torque Sensor Based on the Mechanoluminescence of ZnS:Cu Microparticles,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 218, October 2014, pp. 125–131.
- Kim, J.S., Y.N. Kwon, and K.S. Sohn, “Dynamic Visualization of Crack Propagation and Bridging Stress using the Mechano-luminescence of SrAl2O4:(Eu,Dy,Nd), Acta Materialia, Vol. 51, No. 20, 2003, pp. 6437–6442.
- Pan, B., “Recent Progress in Digital Image Correlation,” Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 51, No.7, 2011, pp. 1223–1235.
- Rahimi, M.R., G.J. Yun, G.L. Doll, and J.S. Choi, “Effects of Persistent Luminescence Decay on Mechanoluminescence Phenomena of SrAl2O4:Eu2+, Dy3+ Materials,” Optics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 20, 2013, pp. 4134–4137.
- Sohn, K.S., M.Y. Cho, M. Kim, and J.S. Kim, “A Smart Load-sensing System using Standardized Mechano-luminescence Measurement,” Optics Express, Vol. 23, No. 5, 2015, pp. 6073–6082.
- Terasaki, N., C.H. Xu, C. Li, L. Zhang, C. Li, D. Ono, M. Tsubai, Y. Adachi, Y. Imai, N. Ueno, and T. Shinokawa, “Visualization of Active Crack on Bridge in use by Mechanoluminescent Sensor,” SPIE Proceedings, Civil Infrastructure II: Bridge Monitoring, Vol. 8348, San Diego, California, 2012a.
- Terasaki, N., C. Li, L. Zhang, and C.N. Xu, “Active Crack Indicator with Mechanoluminescent Sensing Technique: Detection of Crack Propagation on Building,” IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium, Brescia, Italy, 2012b.
- Xu, C.N., T. Watanabe, M. Akiyama, and X.G. Zheng, “Direct View of Stress Distribution in Solid by Mechanoluminescence,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 74, No. 17, 1999, pp. 2414–2416.
- Xu, C.N., X.G. Zheng, M. Akiyama, K. Nonaka, and T. Watanabe, “Dynamic Visualization of Stress Distribution by Mechanoluminescence Image,” Applied Physics Letters,
- Vol. 76, No. 2, 2000, pp. 179–181.
- Yun, G.J., M.R. Rahimi, A.H. Gandomi, G.C. Lim, and J.S. Choi, “Stress Sensing Performance using Mechanoluminescence of SrAl2O4:Eu (SAOE) and SrAl2O4:Eu, Dy (SAOED) under Mechanical Loadings,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 22, No. 5, 2013.
266 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares