Influence of Coupling Interference on Arrayed Eddy Current Displacement Measurement
Publication: Publication Date: 1 December 2016Testing Method:
For arrayed eddy current displacement measurement,
the measuring error is caused by the
coupling interference between coils. In order to
analyze the influence, simulation and experiments
were carried out. It was found that both liftoff and
sensor spacing have an impact on the coupling
interference. Also, the sensor’s measuring range is
reduced when the spacing is less than the coil
outer diameter. In addition, the percentage of
reduction of the measuring range will vary with
sensor spacing according to the exponential rule.
Additionally, a piecewise effect caused by liftoff on
the coupling was discovered, which is significant
for arrayed eddy current applications. Finally, with
the help of the sensor’s inverse transfer function
established by the sixth order polynomial fitting,
compensation was accomplished. As a result, the
compensation has a good effect: the average error
was 0.009 mm, while the maximum error was
- Babic, S.I., and C. Akyel, “New Mutual Inductance Calculation of the Magnetically Coupled Coils: Thin Disk Coil-thin Wall Solenoid,” Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 2006, pp. 1281–1290.
- Bouchala, T., B. Abdelhadi, and A. Benoudjit, “New Contactless Eddy Current Non-destructive Methodology for Electric Conductivity Measurement,” Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 30, No. 1, 2015a, pp. 1–11.
- Bouchala, T., B. Abdelhadi, and A. Benoudjit, “Application of Coupled Electric Field Method for Eddy Current Non-destructive Inspection of Multilayer Structures,” Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 30, No. 2, 2015b, pp. 1–14.
- Bouchala, T., B. Abdelhadi, and A. Benoudjit, “Fast Analytical Modeling of Eddy Current Non-destructive Testing of Magnetic Material,” Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 32, No. 3, 2013, pp. 294–299.
- Chen, X., and T. Ding, “Flexible Eddy Current Sensor Array for Proximity Sensing,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 135, No. 1, 2007, pp. 126–130.
- Gao, P., C. Wang, Y. Zhi, and Y. Li, “Defect Classification using Phase Lag Information of EC-GMR Output, Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 29, No. 3, 2014, pp. 229–242.
- Li, Y., X. Sheng, M. Lian, and Y. Wang, “Influence of Tilt Angle on Eddy Current Displacement Measurement,” Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 31, No. 4, 2016, pp. 1–14.
- Majidnia, S., J. Rudlin, and R. Nilavalan, “Investigations on a Pulsed Eddy Current System for Flaw Detection using an Encircling Coil on a Steel Pipe,” Insight – Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring, Vol. 56, No. 10, 2014, pp. 560–565.
- Nabavi, M.R., and S.N. Nihtianov, “Design Strategies for Eddy-current Displacement Sensor Systems: Review and Recommendations,” IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 12, No. 12, 2012, pp. 3346–3355.
- Yang, B.F., H. Zhang, C. Zhang, and Z.B. Zhang, “Pulsed Remote Field Eddy Current Technique Applied to Non-magnetic Flat Conductive Plates,” Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 28, No. 4, 2013, pp. 354–366.
- Yang, B.F., and X.C. Li, “Pulsed Remote Eddy Current Field Array Technique for Nondestructive Inspection of Ferromagnetic Tube,” Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2010, pp. 3–12.
- Yu, Y.T., G.Y. Tian, X. Li, and A. Simm, “An Approach to ERO Problem in Displacement Eddy Current Sensor,” Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 28, No. 3, 2013, pp. 195–207.
- Yu, Y.T., T. Yang, and P.A. Du, “A New Eddy Current Displacement Measuring Instrument Independent of Sample Electromagnetic Properties,” NDT & E International, Vol. 48, June 2012, pp. 16–22.
- Yu, Y.T., P.A. Du, and L.C. Xu, “Coil Impedance Calculation of an Eddy Current Sensor by the Finite Element Method,” Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 44, No. 4, 2008, pp. 296–302.
- Yusa, N., H. Hashizume, R. Urayama, T. Uchimoto, T. Takagi, and K. Sato, “An Arrayed Uniform Eddy Current Probe Design for Crack Monitoring and Sizing of Surface Breaking Cracks with the Aid of a Computational Inversion Technique,” NDT & E International, Vol. 61, January 2014, pp. 29–34.
- Zaoui, A., H. Menana, and M. Feliachi, “Generalization of the Ideal Crack Model for an Arrayed Eddy Current Sensor,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 6, 2008, pp. 1638–1641.
- Zaoui, A., H. Menana, M. Feliachi, and G. Berthiau, “Inverse Problem in Nondestructive Testing using Arrayed Eddy Current Sensors,” Sensors, Vol. 10, No. 9, 2010, pp. 8696–8704.
- Zierhofer, C.M., and E. Hochmair, “Geometric Approach for Coupling Enhancement of Magnetically Coupled Coils,”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 43, No. 7, 1996, pp. 708–714.
212 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares