Detection of Damaged Tool in Injection Molding Processwith Acoustic Emission
Publication: Publication Date: 1 May 2016Testing Method:
The measurement of acoustic emission (AE) signals during
injection molding of polypropylene with new and damaged
mold is presented. The damaged injection mold was fitted with
a steel insert with cracks induced by laser surface heat treatment.
Two resonant piezoelectric AE sensors were attached to
the mold via AE waveguides. To improve the mold integrity
prediction with smaller defects, AE signal frequency characteristics
and a measure of AE signal amplitude probability distribution
are implemented. A 5-dimensional feature vector with
real-valued explanatory variables is proposed, providing the
defining points in an appropriate multidimensional space to
characterize the state of injection molding tool. Feature vectors
are classified with neural network pattern recognition. The
results confirm that presented AE technique offers characterizing
the integrity of molds also with resonant sensors.
- Z. Chen, L. S. Turng. Advances in Polymer Technology 24:165–182 (2005).
- L. Zhang, C. B. Theurer, R. X. Gao, and D. O. Kazmer. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control 52:1360–1371 (2005).
- Z. Lijuan, L. Yu, P. Chen, J. Cheng-Kui, and W. Kuo-Ding. Journal of Applied PolymerScience 126:2059–2066 (2012).
- J. Cao, H. Luo, and Z. Han. Procedia Engineering 27:1524–2066 (2012).
- M. E. Biancolini, C. Brutti, G. Paparo, and A. Zanini. International Journal of Fatigue 28:1820–1825 (2006).
- C. K. Mukhopadhyay, G. Sasikala, T. Jayakumar, and B. Raj. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 96:294–306 (2012).
- G. Drummond, J. F. Watson, and P. P. Acarnley. NDT&E International 40:94–101 (2007).
- K.-B. Kim, D.-J. Yoon, J.-C. Jeong, and S.-S. Lee. NDT&E International 37:423–429 (2004).
- F. G. Baptista, D. E. Budoya, V. A. D. de Almeida, and J. A. C. Ulson. Sensors 14:1208– 1227 (2014).
- A. A. Pollock. Fundamentals of acoustic emission testing. In P. O. Moore, R. K. Miller, and E. V. K. Hill (eds.). Nondestructive Testing Handbook—Acoustic Emission Testing Third edition, pp. 31–108. American Society for Nondestructive Testing, Columbus, Ohio (2009).
- H. N. Bar, M. R. Bhat, and C. R. L. Murthy. J. Nondestruct. Eval. 24:121–134 (2005).
- S. Davoodi and A. Mostafapour. J. Nondestruct. Eval. 32:67–80 (2013).
- J. Kumar, S. Punnose, C. K. Mukhopadhyay, T. Jayakumar, and V. Kumar. Research in Nondestructive Evaluation 23:17–31 (2012).
- B. A. Shenoi. Introduction to Digital Signal Processing and Filter Design. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey (2006).
29 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares