This paper describes the challenges faced by State Transportation Agencies in training and maintaining certified NDE inspection personnel. Some of these challenges are institutional and are inherent in personnel practices of public agencies, while others are external and may require the involvement of industry to address. Certification of NDE is largely an employer based program requiring an ASNT Level III which is often not present in state transportation agencies for the administration of written practices. However many state transportation agencies directly, or through consultants, employ inspection personnel to perform NDE for fabrication and maintenance of state bridges and highways. Public agencies also struggle with the inherent perception of conflict associated with employer based certification programs. Another impediment for state transportation agencies is the difficulty in hiring personnel during government spending cuts and the scarcity of locating qualified personnel. This paper will explore the background and delve into the issues regarding these challenges, and also propose possible solutions going forward including implementation of a centralized certification program, benchmarking with other industries similarly affected by qualified personnel shortages and partnering with industry and academia to expand the pool of qualified personnel by implementing these best practices.
1. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2013 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure. (last accessed July
2. Federal Highway Administration. Bridge Preservation Guide. FHWA Publication Number: FHWA-HIF-
11042, (August 2011), p. 2. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/preservation/guide/guide.pdf
3. California Department of Transportation. Structure Construction: Message from the Deputy Division Chief.
(last accessed July 2014). http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/construction/message.htm
4. California Department of Transportation. Structure Maintenance and Investigations. (last accessed July 2014).
5. Lavender, Stephen. Employer-Based Certification Programmes. 6th International Conference on Certification
and Standardization NDT, Valencia (June 2011), p. 95-98.
6. What’s in a Name? Materials Evaluation (March 2005).
7. Kehtari M., Javaheripour J. Iran Civil Aviation NDT Certification Adaptation. 6th Internation Conference on
Certification and Standardization NDT, Valencia (June 2011), p. 99-107.
8. Matthew, Vijay. The Nondestructive Testing (NDT) Training Industry. Quality Magazine (October 9, 2013).
9. Murphy, Richard V. Non-destructive Testing to Reduce Risk of Failure. ISO Focus (March 2008), p. 31-32.
10. Electronic Code of Federal Regulations. Title 23: Highways, Part 637 Construction Inspection and Approval.
U.S. Government Printing Office (July 2, 2014). http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/textidx?
11. Teal, Roy. San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge Skyway Project Quality Assurance-Quality Control Process
Review. Federal Highway Administration (June 2005).
12. Long, J.T. Bay Bridge Weld Test Is Under Way in Lab: Initial federal inspections do not find evidence of faulty
welds despite allegations. Engineering News Record (May 2, 2005).
13. Cabana, Michael. New Check of Welds to Start on Bay Bridge. SFGate (April 20, 2005)
14. Ultrasonic Testing (UT) Qualification Program. California Department of Transportation (July 2014).
15. New York State Steel Construction Manual, 3rd Edition (March 24,
16. Shaw, Robert. Round-Robin Testing of Ultrasonic Testing Technician. Steel Structures Technology Center,
Sub-Task 5.2e, Evaluate Sensitivity of UT Techniques (August 2000).
17. Funding the Nation’s Surface Transportation System. U.S. Government Accountability Office (last accessed
July 2014). http://www.gao.gov/key_issues/funding_nations_surface_transportation_system/issue_summary
18. Zalkind, Adrienne. Welding Shortage Fact Sheet. American Welding Society (February 26, 2007).
19. Ward, Robert. Addressing the Shortage of Skilled NDT Inspectors in Complex Industrial Environments. GE
Oil and Gas: Measurement and Control (last accessed July 2014). http://www.gemcs.
20. Frost & Sullivan. World NDT Inspection Services Market? An Indestructible Future? NDT.net (April 2011).
21. Careers in Welding. American Welding Society (last accessed July 2014).
22. International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. Worker Shortage Threatens Utility. IBEW Journal (April
23. Torres, Craig. Worker’s Climb to Power Pole Shows Demand for Young Employees. Bloomberg (May 26,
24. The Aspen Institute. PG&E PowerPathwayTM. (last accessed July 2014). www.aspeninstitute.org/policywork/
25. The Aspen Institute. The AFL-CIO’s UA Apprenticeship Program. (last accessed July 2014)