The developed direct converting X-ray line detector is based on absorption of X-rays in a semiconducting material. The
realized GaAs absorber exhibits a pixel size of 100 μm while the readout integrated circuit (IC) features fast dead-timefree
readout, energy discrimination by two individually adjustable thresholds with 20 bit deep counters and radiation-hard
design on chip level. Another feature of the line detector is the cascadability of several sensor modules with 1024 pixels
each. However, electronic components, specially readout ICs, suffer radiation degradation. This paper describes radiation
hardness investigations comparing standard metal-oxide-semiconductor (MOS) transistors with used radiation hard ring MOS
1. Owens, A., A. Peacock and M. Bavdaz. “Progress in compound semiconductors,” Proc. SPIE 4851. 2003.
2. Owens, A. and A. Peacock. “Compound semiconductor radiation detectors,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in
Physics Research A. 531 (1-2). 2004.
3. Kroening, M., I. Besse, T. Baumbach, A. Berthold, R.G. Melkadze, T.M. Lezhneva, L.B. Khvedelidze and G.D.
Kalandadze. “Materials investigation of gallium arsenide for direct converting energy sensitive X-ray detectors,” Proc.
SPIE 5770. 2005.
4. Hsieh, J. Computed Tomography, SPIE – The International Society for Optical Engineering, Bellingham & Washington.
5. Lohse, T., P. Krüger, H. Heuer, M. Oppermann, H. Torlee, T. Zerna, K.J. Wolter and N. Meyendorf. “Development of
radiation resistant, direct converting X-ray line detectors in terms of their assembly technology,” Proc. 25th Eurosensors
6. Oppermann, M., O. Albrecht, T. Lohse, R. Metasch, T. Zerna and K.J. Wolter. “Packaging development for GaAs X-ray
line detectors,” Proc. 13th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference. 2011.
7. Lohse, T., P. Krüger, H. Heuer, M. Oppermann, H. Torlee, K.J. Wolter and N. Meyendorf. “Modular design of fully
integrated line detectors,” Proc. 26th Eurosensors Conference. 2012.
8. Lohse, T., P. Krüger, H. Heuer, M. Oppermann, H. Torlee and N. Meyendorf. “Counting X-ray line detector with
monolithically integrated readout circuits,” Proc. SPIE Microtechnologies. 2013.
9. Holmes-Siedle and A., L. Adams. Handbook of Radiation Effects, Oxford Science Publications. 1993.
10. Velazco, R., P. Fouillat and R. Reis. Radiation Effects on Embedded Systems, Springer. 2007.
11. Anelli, G., M. Campell, M. Delmastro, F. Faccio, S. Florian, A. Giraldo, E. Heijne, P. Jarron, K. Kloukinas, A.
Marchioro, P. Moreira, W. Snoeys. “Radiation Tolerant VLSI Circuits in Standard Deep Submicron CMOS Technologies
for the LHC Experiments: Practical Design Aspects,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 46, (6). 1999.
12. Schrimpf, R.D. and D.M. Fleetwood. Radiation Effects and Soft Errors in Integrated Circuits and Electronic Devices,
World Scientific. 2004.
13. Lutz, G. Semiconductor Radiation Detectors, Springer. 2007.