A novel ultrasonic vibration analysis technique was developed for damage detection in complex structures with the intention
of combining low-frequency (i.e. non-ultrasonic) modal analysis and ultrasonic transient wave inspection methods. A guided
wave vibration decomposition method was derived to demonstrate that steady-state structural vibrations can be described as
a superposition of guided waves propagating within the structure. The ultrasonic loading function (i.e. actuator frequency
and phasing) applied to an annular array transducer was varied, allowing for a greater range of defect sensitivity during key
experiments on a number of test samples.
1. Yan, F. and J.L. Rose. “Defect detection using a new ultrasonic guided wave modal analysis technique (UMAT),”
Proc. SPIE, Vol. 7650, 76500R (2010).
2. Rose, J.L., F. Yan, C. Borigo and Y. Liang. “Ultrasonic Vibration Modal Analysis Technique (UMAT) for Defect
Detection,” Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, Vol. 4, pp. 25-32 (2011).
3. Rose, J.L., F. Yan, Y. Liang and C. Borigo. “Ultrasonic vibration method for damage detection in composite aircraft
components,” Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, Vol. 31, pp. 359-367 (2012).
4. Srinivas, S., C.V. Rao and A.K. Rao. “An Exact Analysis for Vibration of Simply-Supported Homogeneous and
Laminated Thick Rectangular Plates,” J. Sound Vib. vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 187-199 (1970)
5. Zhou, D., Y.K. Cheung, F. Au and S.H. Lo. “Three-Dimensional Vibration Analysis of Thick Rectangular Plates using
Chebyshev Polynomial and Ritz Method,” Int. J. Solids Structures, vol. 39, pp. 6339-6353 (2002).
6. Liew, K.M., K.C. Hung and M.K. Lim. “A Continuum Three-Dimensional Vibration Analysis of Thick Rectangular
Plates,” Int. J. Solids Structures, vol. 30, no. 24, pp. 3357-3379 (1993).
7. Gavric, L. “Computation of Propagative Waves in Free Rail Using a Finite Element Technique,” J. Sound Vib., vol. 185,
no. 3, pp. 531-543 (1995).
8. Hayashi, T., W.J. Song and J.L. Rose. “Guided Wave Dispersion Curves for a Bar with an Arbitrary Cross-section, a Rod
and Rail Example,” Ultrasonics, vol. 41, pp. 175-183, Elsevier (2003).
9. Borigo, C., Y. Liang, F. Yan and J.L. Rose. “Ultrasonic guided wave vibration formulation,” Review of Progress In
Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 31, pp. 225-232 (2011).
10. Li, J. and J.L. Rose. “Implementing guided wave mode control by use of a phased transducer array,” IEEE Trans.
Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq., Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 761-768 (2001).
11. Borigo, C., F. Yan and J.L. Rose. “Analysis of the excitation spectra of annular and comb arrays for ultrasonic guided
wave applications,” ASNT Research Symposium (2011).
12. Glushkov, E.V., N.V. Glushkova, O.V. Kvasha and R. Lammering. “Selective Lamb mode excitation by piezoelectric
coaxial ring actuators,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 19, 035018 (2010).
13. Borigo, C. “Excitation spectrum and mode excitability analysis of comb and annular phased array transducers for guided
wave mode control applications,” (Master’s thesis), retrieved from Penn State University Libraries Online Content,