Undetected inclusions and porosities in the additive manufactured components are undesirable in industries like aerospace engineering. This paper is focused on imaging of micro inclusions and porosities in numerical models based on the properties of an additive manufactured metal using an advanced imaging technique—full-waveform inversion (FWI) as an ultrasonic non-destructive testing (NDT) technique. We developed three models with—single inclusion of 200µm, multiple inclusions of different sizes (30-200µm) and wave speeds, and multiple porosities (30-100µm). The performance of FWI was analyzed for each model. The reconstructed images of all models from the proposed FWI method gave relatively accurate results about the porosities and inclusions, exhibiting the potential of applying FWI in overcoming challenges in NDT for additively manufactured materials.
(1) Honarvar, F. and Varvani-Farahani, A., 2020. A review of ultrasonic testing applications in additive manufacturing: Defect evaluation, material characterization, and process control. Ultrasonics, 108, p.106227.
(2) Lopez, A.B., Santos, J., Sousa, J.P., Santos, T.G. and Quintino, L., 2019. Phased array ultrasonic inspection of metal additive manufacturing parts. Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 38(3), pp.1-11.
(3) Slotwinski, JA & Garboczi, E.J. (2014). Porosity of Additive Manufacturing Parts for Process Monitoring. AIP Conference Proceedings. 1581. 10.1063/1.4864957.
(4) He, J., Rao, J., Fleming, J.D., Nath Gharti, H., Nguyen, L.T., Morrison, G., 2021. Numerical ultrasonic full-waveform inversion (FWI) for complex structures in coupled 2D solid/fluid media. Smart Materials and Structures 30, 085044. doi:10.1088/1361-665x/ac0f44
(5) Dryburgh, P., Smith, R.J., Marrow, P., Lainé, S.J., Sharples, S.D., Clark, M. and Li, W., 2020. Determining the crystallographic orientation of hexagonal crystal structure materials with surface acoustic wave velocity measurements. Ultrasonics, 108, p.106171.
(6) Thréard, T., de Lima Savi, E., Avanesyan, S., Chigarev, N., Hua, Z., Tournat, V., Gusev, V.E., Hurley, D.H. and Raetz, S., 2021. Photoacoustic 3-D imaging of polycrystalline microstructure improved with transverse acoustic waves. Photoacoustics, 23, p.100286.
172 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares