This paper reports the recent development towards autonomous ultrasonic thickness measurement on steel bridge members through the novel integration of a magnet-wheeled steel climbing bicycle robot and a wireless ultrasonic sensing device named Martlet. The compact Martlet wireless device has been designed to attain accurate thickness measurement through the combination of high-voltage excitation, filtering/amplification of the received ultrasonic signal, and high-speed analog-to-digital conversion (~80 MHz). To achieve autonomous inspection, the Martlet ultrasonic device is carried by the steel climbing bicycle robot along with a dual element transducer. The developed mobile sensing system successfully obtains accurate thickness measurement in laboratory testing.
(1) M. Kane, D. Zhu, M. Hirose, X. Dong, B. Winter, M. Häckell, J. P. Lynch, Y. Wang and A. Swartz, 2014,
"Development of an extensible dual-core wireless sensing node for cyber-physical systems," Proceedings of SPIE 2014, Nondestructive Characterization for Composite Materials, Aerospace Engineering, Civil Infrastructure, and Homeland Security, San Diego, CA, USA.
(2) X. Dong, S. Chen, D. Zhu, M. Kane, Y. Wang and J. P. Lynch, 2014, "High-speed heterogeneous data acquisition using Martlet - a next-generation wireless sensing device," Proceedings of the Sixth World Conference on Structural Control and Monitoring (6WCSCM), Barcelona, Spain.
(3) X. Liu, X. Dong, Y. Wang, L. Stewart, J. Dodson and B. Joyce, 2018, "High-g shock acceleration measurement using Martlet wireless sensing system," Proceedings of the 36th International Modal Analysis Conference
(IMAC XXXVI), Orlando, FL, USA.
(4) Y. Otsuki, P. Lander and Y. Wang, 2021, "Ultrasonic thickness measurement using the Martlet wireless sensing system," Proceedings of the 2021 International Instrumentation & Measurement Technology Conference
(I2MTC), Glasgow, Scotland.
(5) S. T. Nguyen, H. Nguyen, S. T. Bui, V. A. Ho and H. M. La, 2021, "Multi-directional bicycle robot for steel structure inspection," arXiv preprint, p. 2103.11522.
(6) A. Aquil and J. B. Leonard, ASM Handbook, Nondestructive Evaluation of Materials vol. 17. Materials Park, OH, USA: ASM International, 2018.
36 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares