Laser Shearography and Ultrasound Inspection of Composite Laminates with Overlapping Fiber Plies
Conference: Publication Date: 1 April 2019Testing Method: ,
When manufacturing or repairing structures with composite laminate materials, internal features of overlapping fiber
plies and ply orientation misplacement can occur. These composite processing steps will influence material
characteristics of the component and likely change the inspection results. As part of the quality assurance process,
nondestructive evaluation methods are needed for inspecting laminated composites to ensure the materials are
undamaged and meet the design parameters required for the structure’s intended application. The present study
considers laser shearography and roller probe ultrasound techniques for inspecting laminated composites with
overlapping fiber plies. The samples used in this study were designed and manufactured such that two different
laminate thicknesses and three designs of overlapping fiber plies were considered. Each of the samples was
manufactured using an 8-harness satin carbon fiber weave fabric and a thermoset resin. The benefits and limitations
of using these two nondestructive inspection methods for assessing carbon fiber reinforced laminated composites
with internal ply overlaps will be presented.
- Barbero, E.J., 2010, Introduction to Composite Materials Design, second edition, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL.
- Adams, R.D. and P. Cawley, 1989, “Defect Types and Non-Destructive Testing Techniques for Composites and Bonded Joints,” Construction & Building Materials, 3(4), pp. 170-183.
- Guo, Z., L. Liu, B. Zhang and S. Du, 2009, “Critical Void Content for Thermoset Composite Laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, 43(17), pp. 1775-1790.
- Liu, L., B. Zhang, D. Wang. and A. Wu, 2006, “Effects of Cure Cycles on Void Content and Mechanical Properties of Composite Laminates,” Composite Structures, 73, pp. 303-309.
- Burkov, M., P. Lyubutin, A. Byakov and S. Panin, 2017, “Detecting Barely Visible Impact Damages of Honeycomb and Laminate CFRP Using Digital Shearography,” Proc. Of the Intl. Conf. on Adv. Materials with Hierarchical Structure for New Technologies and Reliable Structures, 1909, pp. 02022-1 – 02022-4.
- Gholizadeh, S., 2016, “A Review of Non-Destructive Testing Methods of Composite Materials,” XV Portuguese Conference on Fracture, 1, pp. 050-057.
- Amaro, A.M., P.N.B. Reis, M.F.S.F. de Moura and J.B. Santos, 2012, “Damage Detection on Laminated Composite Materials Using Several NDT Techniques,” Insight: NDT and Cond. Monitoring, 54(1), pp. 14-20.
- Jolly, M.R., A. Prabhakar, B. Sturzu, K. Hollstein, R. Singh, S. Thomas, P. Foote and A. Shaw, 2015, “Review of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) Techniques and Their Applicability to Thick Walled Composites,” Procedia CIRP, 38, pp. 129-136.
- Bossi, R.H., 2014, ASNT Industry Handbook: Aerospace Nondestructive Testing, ASNT, Columbus, OH.
- Burkov, M., P. Lyubutin, A. Byakov and S. Panin, 2015, “Development of High Resolution Shearography Device for Non-Destructive Testing of Composite Materials,” Proc. Of the Advanced Materials with Hierarchical Structure for New Technologies and Reliable Structures, 1683, pp. 02029-1 – 02029-5.
- Lamboul, B., O. Giraudo, and D. Osment, 2015, “Detection of Disbonds in Foam Composite Assemblies using Flexural Waves and Shearography,” 41st Annual Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, 1650, pp. 1155-1161.
13 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares