Evaluation of Nondestructive Evaluation Methods for Applicability to Precast Concrete Deck Panels
Conference: Publication Date: 1 April 2019
Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) is the method for building and rehabilitating bridge construction aimed at reducing on-site activities, traffic interruptions, and cost. In general, ABC uses precast elements for bridge superstructure or substructures which are fabricated on site or away, moved to the bridge site and installed in place. Precast concrete deck panels are among common elements in ABC superstructures which need to be integrated together and with the bridge using closure joints. Because of in-situ casting of the closure joints therefore there is a potential for defects to occur during construction, or develop later during the life of the structure. Despite numerous investigations on nondestructive evaluation in general, a quantitative study on the evaluation and selection of the most applicable Nondestructive testing (NDT) methods for ABC precast concrete deck panels is lacking. The most promising NDT methods and their capabilities for inspection of the ABC joints were identified by the authors and presented previously in another paper. The current paper attempts to introduce a quantitative examination and comparison among the most applicable NDT techniques in ABC taking into account the expected defects and anomalies associated with precast concrete deck panels. The investigation is focused on closure joints as the critical details in a precast concrete deck.
- Culmo, M. P. (2011). Accelerated bridge construction-experience in design, fabrication and erection of prefabricated bridge elements and systems (No. FHWA-HIF-12-013).
- Culmo, M. P. (2009). Connection details for prefabricated bridge elements and systems (No. FHWA-IF-09-010). United States. Federal Highway Administration. Office of Bridge Technology.
- Rowekamp P., “ABC-UTC Innovative Projects – Bridge over Paleface River”, Bridge Standards and Research Engineer, Minnesota Department of Transportation, Report number: MN – TH 53, page 3, 01-03-13.
- S. Farhangdoust, A.B. Mehrabi, S.F. Al Mosawi, “NDT Methods Applicable to Health Monitoring of ABC Closure Joints,” 27th Research Symposium - The American Society for Non-destructive Testing (ASNT), Orlando, Fl, 26-29 March, 2018.
- S. Farhangdoust, A.B. Mehrabi, “Developing Defect Etiology to Facilitate NDE of Full-Depth Precast Concrete Deck Panels in Accelerated Bridge Construction,” ASNT Research Symposium 2019 - The American Society for Non-destructive Testing (ASNT), Garden Grove, CA, 1 - 4 April 2019.
- Farhangdoust, S., Mehrabi, A., & Younesian, D. (2019). Bistable wind-induced vibration energy harvester for self-powered wireless sensors in smart bridge monitoring systems. SPIE Smart Structures + Nondestructive Evaluation. 3-7 March 2019. Denver. Colorado. United States.
- Tashakori, S., Farhangdoust, S., Baghalian, A., Tansel, I. N., & Mehrabi, A. (2019). Evaluating the performance of the SuRE method for inspection of bonding using the COMSOL finite element analysis package. SPIE Smart Structures + Nondestructive Evaluation. 3-7 March 2019. Denver. Colorado. United States.
- A. Mehrabi and S. Farhangdoust, “A Laser-Based Noncontact Vibration Technique for Health Monitoring of Structural Cables: Background, Success, and New Developments”, Advances in Acoustics and Vibration, Vol. 2018, 2018.
- Farhangdoust, S., Tashakori, S., Baghalian, A., Mehrabi, A., & Tansel, I. N. (2019). Prediction of damage location in composite plates using artificial neural network modeling. SPIE Smart Structures + Nondestructive Evaluation. 3-7 March 2019. Denver. Colorado. United States.
- N. Gucunski, S. Nazarian, H. Wiggenhauser, and D. Kutrubes, "Nondestructive Testing to Identify Concrete Bridge Deck Deterioration," SHRP 2–FEHRL Workshop, TRA 2010 Brussels, Belgium, 2010.
- Taskin, M., Elazig, U. C., & Turkmen, M. (2011). X-ray tests of AISI 430 and 304 stainless steels and AISI 1010 low carbon steel welded by CO2 laser beam welding. Materials Testing. 53(11-12). 741-747.
- Parrillo, R., Roberts, R., & Haggan, A. (2006, September). Bridge deck condition assessment using ground penetrating radar. In ECNDT Conference Proceeding, Berlin, Germany (pp. 25-29).
- System Reference Manual 2008 Slab Impulse Response,’ 2008, Manual. [Online]. Available: www.olsonengineering.com [Accessed: 10-Nov-2017].
- Farhangdoust, S., Younesian, D., & Esmailzadeh, E. (2017, August). Interaction of higher modes in nonlinear free vibration of stiffened rectangular plates. In ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V008T12A043-V008T12A043). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Hosseinkhani, A., Younesian, D., & Farhangdoust, S. (2018). Dynamic analysis of a plate on the generalized foundation with fractional damping subjected to random excitation. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2018.
- Tashakori, S., Baghalian, A., Senyurek, V. Y., Farhangdoust, S., McDaniel, D., & Tansel, I. N. (2018). Composites Bond Inspection Using Heterodyne Effect and SuRE Methods. Shock and Vibration, 2018.
- Alobaidi, W. M., Alkuam, E. A., Al-Rizzo, H. M., and Sandgren, E. (2015). Applications of Ultrasonic Techniques in Oil and Gas Pipeline Industries: A Review. American Journal of Operations Research. 5(274-287).
- Mehrabi, A. B. (2006). In-service evaluation of cable-stayed bridges, overview of available methods and findings. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 11(6), 716-724.
- Sun, H., Pashoutani, S., & Zhu, J. (2018). Nondestructive Evaluation of Concrete Bridge Decks with Automated Acoustic Scanning System and Ground Penetrating Radar. Sensors, 18(6), 1955.
- Lin, S., Meng, D., Choi, H., Shams, S., & Azari, H. (2018). Laboratory assessment of nine methods for nondestructive evaluation of concrete bridge decks with overlays. Construction and Building Materials, 188, 966-982.
- Davis, A. G. (2003). The nondestructive impulse response test in North America: 1985–2001. NDT & E International, 36(4), 185-193.
- Washer, G., Fenwick, R., Bolleni, N., & Harper, J. (2009). Effects of environmental variables on infrared imaging of subsurface features of concrete bridges. Transportation Research Record, 2108(1), 107-114.
- Maierhofer, C. (2003). Nondestructive evaluation of concrete infrastructure with ground penetrating radar. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 15(3), 287-297.
- Tarussov, A., Vandry, M., & De La Haza, A. (2013). Condition assessment of concrete structures using a new analysis method: Ground-penetrating radar computer-assisted visual interpretation. Construction and Building Materials, 38, 1246-1254.
- Huston, D., Hu, J. Q., Maser, K., Weedon, W., & Adam, C. (2000). GIMA ground penetrating radar system for monitoring concrete bridge decks. Journal of Applied Geophysics, 43(2-4), 139-146.
- "Guidebook on non-destructive testing of concrete structures." Training Course Series. International Atomic Energy Agency. Vienna, 2002.
- Scott, M., Rezaizadeh, A., Delahaza, A., Santos, C. G., Moore, M., Graybeal, B., & Washer, G. (2003). A comparison of nondestructive evaluation methods for bridge deck assessment. NDT & E International, 36(4), 245-255.
- Chase, S. B., & Washer, G. (1997). Nondestructive evaluation for bridge management in the next century. Public Roads, 61(1).
- Yehia, S., Abudayyeh, O., Nabulsi, S., & Abdelqader, I. (2007). Detection of common defects in concrete bridge decks using nondestructive evaluation techniques. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 12(2), 215-225.
- Oh, T., Kee, S. H., Arndt, R. W., Popovics, J. S., & Zhu, J. (2012). Comparison of NDT methods for assessment of a concrete bridge deck. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 139(3), 305-314.
- Sbartaï, Z. M., Laurens, S., Balayssac, J. P., Arliguie, G., & Ballivy, G. (2006). Ability of the direct wave of radar ground-coupled antenna for NDT of concrete structures. NDT & e International, 39(5), 400-407.
- Büyüköztürk, O. (1998). Imaging of concrete structures. Ndt & E International, 31(4), 233-243.
- Rhazi, J. (2000). NDT in civil engineering: the case of concrete bridge decks. CSNDT JOURNAL, 21(5), 18-25.
- Barnes, C. L., Trottier, J. F., & Forgeron, D. (2008). Improved concrete bridge deck evaluation using GPR by accounting for signal depth–amplitude effects. NDT & E International, 41(6), 427-433.
- Alani, A. M., Aboutalebi, M., & Kilic, G. (2014). Integrated health assessment strategy using NDT for reinforced concrete bridges. NDT & E International, 61, 80-94.
- Kohl, C., & Streicher, D. (2006). Results of reconstructed and fused NDT-data measured in the laboratory and on-site at bridges. Cement and Concrete Composites, 28(4), 402-413.
- Rhazi, J., Dous, O., & Laurens, S. (2007, December). A new application of the GPR technique to reinforced concrete bridge decks. In Proceeding of the 4th Middle East NDT conference and Exhibition, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain (pp. 2-5).
- Rhazi, J., Dous, O., Ballivy, G., Laurens, S., & Balayssac, J. P. (2003, September). Non destructive health evaluation of concrete bridge decks by GPR and half cell potential techniques. In International Symposium on Non-Destructive Testing in Civil Engineering.
- Maierhofer, C., Zacher, G., Kohl, C., & Wöstmann, J. (2008). Evaluation of radar and complementary echo methods for NDT of concrete elements. Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 27(1-3), 47.
- Lim, M. K., & Cao, H. (2013). Combining multiple NDT methods to improve testing effectiveness. Construction and Building Materials, 38, 1310-1315.
- Krause, M., Mielentz, F., Milman, B., Müller, W., Schmitz, V., & Wiggenhauser, H. (2001). Ultrasonic imaging of concrete members using an array system. NDT & E International, 34(6), 403-408.
- Abdel-Qader, I., Yohali, S., Abudayyeh, O., & Yehia, S. (2008). Segmentation of thermal images for nondestructive evaluation of bridge decks. NDT & E International, 41(5), 395-405.
- Gucunski, N., Romero, F., Kruschwitz, S., Feldmann, R., Abu-Hawash, A., & Dunn, M. (2010). Multiple complementary nondestructive evaluation technologies for condition assessment of concrete bridge decks. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, (2201), 34-44.
- Arndt, R., & Jalinoos, F. (2009). NDE for corrosion detection in reinforced concrete structures–a benchmark approach. Proceedings of the Non-Destructive Testing In Civil Engineering (NDTCE'09), Nantes, France, 30.
- Gucunski, N., Romero, F., Kruschwitz, S., Feldmann, R., & Parvardeh, H. (2011). Comprehensive bridge deck deterioration mapping of nine bridges by nondestructive evaluation technologies (No. Project SPR-NDEB (90)--8H-00). Iowa. Dept. of Transportation. Bungey, J. H. (2004). Sub-surface radar testing of concrete: a review. Construction and Building materials, 18(1), 1-8.
- Akhtar, S. (2013). Review of nondestructive testing methods for condition monitoring of concrete structures. Journal of construction engineering, 2013.
- Rehman, S. K. U., Ibrahim, Z., Memon, S. A., & Jameel, M. (2016). Nondestructive test methods for concrete bridges: A review. Construction and Building Materials, 107, 58-86.
- Krause, H-J., W. Wolf, W. Glaas, E. Zimmermann, M. I. Faley, G. Sawade, R. Mattheus, G. Neudert, U. Gampe, and J. Krieger. (2002). SQUID array for magnetic inspection of prestressed concrete bridges. Physica C: Superconductivity, 368(1-4), 91-95.
- Belli, K., Wadia‐Fascetti, S., & Rappaport, C. (2008). Model based evaluation of bridge decks using ground penetrating radar. Computer‐Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 23(1), 3-16.
- Bungey, J. H., & Grantham, M. G. (2014). Testing of concrete in structures. Crc Press.
- Alani, A. M., Aboutalebi, M., & Kilic, G. (2013). Applications of ground penetrating radar (GPR) in bridge deck monitoring and assessment. Journal of Applied Geophysics, 97, 45-54.
- Zhu, J. (2008). Non-contact NDT of concrete structures using air coupled sensors. Newmark Structural Engineering Laboratory. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Omar, T., & Nehdi, M. L. (2017). Remote sensing of concrete bridge decks using unmanned aerial vehicle infrared thermography. Automation in Construction, 83, 360-371.
- Gucunski, N., Kee, S. H., La, H., Basily, B., Maher, A., & Ghasemi, H. (2015, April). Implementation of a fully autonomous platform for assessment of concrete bridge decks RABIT. In Structures Congress 2015 (pp. 367- 378).
- Gucunski, N., Kee, S., La, H., Basily, B., & Maher, A. (2015). Delamination and concrete quality assessment of concrete bridge decks using a fully autonomous RABIT platform. Structural Monitoring and Maintenance, 2(1), 19-34.
- Van der Wielen, A., Courard, L., & Nguyen, F. (2010, June). Nondestructive detection of delaminations in concrete bridge decks. In Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), 2010 13th International Conference on (pp. 1-5). IEEE.
- Shokouhi, P., Wolf, J., & Wiggenhauser, H. (2013). Detection of delamination in concrete bridge decks by joint amplitude and phase analysis of ultrasonic array measurements. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 19(3), 04013005.
- Washer, G. A. (1998). Developments for the non-destructive evaluation of highway bridges in the USA. NDT & E International, 31(4), 245-249.
- Hearn, G., & Shim, H. S. (1998). Integration of bridge management systems and nondestructive evaluations. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 4(2), 49-55.
- Rens, K. L., Nogueira, C. L., & Transue, D. J. (2005). Bridge management and nondestructive evaluation. Journal of performance of constructed facilities, 19(1), 3-16.
- Huston, D., Cui, J., Burns, D., & Hurley, D. (2011). Concrete bridge deck condition assessment with automated multisensor techniques. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 7(7-8), 613-623.
- Maser, K. R., & Roddis, W. K. (1990). Principles of thermography and radar for bridge deck assessment. Journal of transportation engineering, 116(5), 583-601.
- Toutanji, H. (2000). Ultrasonic wave velocity signal interpretation of simulated concrete bridge decks. Materials and Structures, 33(3), 207.
- Vaghefi, K., Oats, R.C., Harris, D.K., Ahlborn, T.T.M., Brooks, C.N., Endsley, K.A., Roussi, C., Shuchman, R., Burns, J.W. and Dobson, R. (2011). Evaluation of commercially available remote sensors for highway bridge condition assessment. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 17(6), 886-895.
- Xu, Y., & Turkan, Y. (2019). Bridge Inspection Using Bridge Information Modeling (BrIM) and Unmanned Aerial System (UAS). In Advances in Informatics and Computing in Civil and Construction Engineering (pp. 617-624). Springer, Cham.
- Chen, S., Laefer, D. F., Mangina, E., Zolanvari, S. I., & Byrne, J. (2019). UAV Bridge Inspection through Evaluated 3D Reconstructions. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 24(4), 05019001.
- Bogue, R. (2018). Applications of robotics in test and inspection. Industrial Robot: An International Journal, 45(2), 169-174.
119 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares