Vertical Profiling Ultra-Seismic Inspection to Evaluate Model Pile Depths
Conference: Publication Date: 27 August 2018Testing Method:
The vertical profiling ultra-seismic inspection is introduced to inspect model concrete piles under the traction-free and partially embedded conditions. Such a lateral impact inspection method is commonly used for inaccessible substructure tops, like pile bents. A frequency-based analysis based on the guided wave theory and resonance concept is developed to effectively overcome the issue on irregular frequency spans for analyzing the vibration responses due to dispersive flexural waves. The testing results also indicate that the resonance characteristics of flexural waves travelling in a pile are independent upon the embedment conditions but the physical properties of concrete piles.
- Chinese Institute of Civil and Hydraulic Engineering (CICHE), 2010, Bridge Inspection Method and Application, Scientific and Technical Publishing Co., Ltd., Taipei, Taiwan. (in Chinese)
- Geo-Institute Deep Foundation Committee, 2000, “ Nondestructive Evaluation of Drilled Shafts,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 126 (1), pp. 92-95.
- Hertlein, B.H. and Davis, A.G., 2006, Nondestructive Testing of Deep Foundations, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Chichester, U.K.
- Olson, L.D., Jalinoos, F., and Aouad, M.F., 1998, Determination of Unknown Subsurface Bridge Foundations, NCHRP Project No. E21-5, Olson Engineering, Boulder, Colorado, U.S.A.
- Wang, H. and Wang, C.-Y., 2018, “ Flexural Wave Impulse Response Evaluations of Piles Using Multiple Triaxial Accelerometers,” in ASTM International Selected Technical Papers STP 1611, edited by Bullock, P., Verbeek, G., Tara, D, and Paikowsky, S., West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.: ASTM International. (in print)
- Finno, R.J., Wang, H., and Lynch, J.J., 2005, “Flexural Waves in Nondestructive Evaluation of Drilled Shafts,” GEO3 : Industry in Action― GEO Construction Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC ) Conference Proceedings, ADSC, Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.A, pp. 341-352.
- Lynch, J., 2007, Experimental Verification of Flexural Guided Waves in Concrete Cylindrical Piles, Ph.D. Dissertation, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Rix, G.J., Jacobs, L.J., Rhodes, P.B., and Raparelli, R.Q., 1995, Nondestructive Assessment of Pile Tip Elevations Using Flexural Waves, Georgia Department of Transportation Project No. 9406, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
- Wang, H., 2004, Theoretical Evaluation of Embedded Plate-Like and Solid Cylindrical Concrete Structures with Guided Waves, Ph.D. Dissertation, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Wang, H., Chang, T.-P., and Wang, J.-J., 2010, “Response Analysis of Concrete Piles Subjected to Lateral Impact,” Journal of Marine Science and Technology, 18 (6), pp. 848-859.
- Wu, H.-J., 2018, Parametric Study of Ultra-Seismic Inspection on Model Concrete Piles, Master Thesis, National Central University, Chungli District, Taoyuan, Taiwan. (in Chinese)
29 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares