New Tools in CIVA for Model Assisted Probability of Detection (MAPOD) to Support NDE Reliability Studies
Conference: Publication Date: 5 June 2018
In the context of the damage tolerance approach used to drive aircraft maintenance operations, it is essential to demonstrate the reliability of NDE inspections in detecting structural damage. The Probability Of Detection method, that links the probability to detect a detrimental flaw to its size is generally used for that purpose by giving the maximum flaw size that an NDE process can miss with a given level of probability and confidence. To be statistically valid, this approach requires a sufficient amount of data which is often difficult (and costly) to obtain with a purely experimental approach based on mock-up tests. Numerical simulation can be particularly useful at that stage thanks to its ability to give a very large amount of data at a relative low cost, which constitutes the so-called Model Assisted POD approach. Recent developments have even enhanced this capacity thanks to the implementation in CIVA simulation software of metamodels. On top of providing data for POD curves, simulations and metamodels can be also used at the design stage to optimize inspection methods and procedures and target a given POD for a given flaw size. It can also conduct extensive studies on parameters influence on the result, or to achieve sensitivity analysis. This communication illustrates, with some examples based on CIVA, how simulation can help to support NDE reliability studies in aerospace applications.
- F. Foucher, S. Lonné, G. Toullelan, S. Mahaut, S. Chatillon, 2018, An overwiew of validation campaigns of the CIVA simulation software, ECNDT.
- S. Mahaut, S. Chatillon, M. Darmon, N. Leymarie and R. Raillon, 2009, An overview of UT beam propagation and flaw scattering models in CIVA, QNDE.
- M. Darmon, S. Chatillon, 2013, Main Features of a Complete Ultrasonic Measurement Model: Formal Aspects of Modeling of Both Transducers Radiation and Ultrasonic Flaws Responses, Open Journal of Acoustics, Vol.3 No.3A, http://file.scirp.org/Html/8-1610079_36873.htm#txtF2.
- V. Baronian, A. Lhémery, K. Jezzine, 2010, Hybrid SAFE/FE simulation of inspections of elastic waveguides containing several local discontinuities, QNDE.
- G. Pichenot et al., 2005, Development of a 3D electromagnetic model for eddy current tubing inspection: Application to steam generator tubing, QNDE.
- J.Tabary, P. Hugonnard, A.Schumm, R. Fernandez, 2008, Simulation studies of radiographic inspections with Civa, WCNDT.
- R. Fernandez, S.A. Legoupil, M. Costin, A. Leveque, 2012, CIVA Computed Tomography Modeling, WCNDT.
- K. Jezzine et al, 2017, Modeling approaches for the simulation of ultrasonic inspections of anisotropic composite structures in the CIVA software platform, QNDE.
- R. Miorelli et al, Database generation and exploitation for efficient and intensive simulation studies, AIP Conference Proceedings, Volume 1706 (2016)
- USA Department of Defense Handbook, 2009, MIL-HDBK-1823-A, NDE system reliability assessment
- ASTM, 2012, E2862-12: Standard practice for probability of detection analysis for hit/miss data
- ASTM, 2012, E3023-15: Standard practice for probability of detection analysis for â versus a data
- B. Thompson et al, 2009, Recent Advances in Model-Assisted Probability of Detection, European-American Workshop on reliability in NDE.
- Aldrin, J.C., Knopp, J.S., Lindgren, E.A., Jata, K.V., Model-assisted probability of detection evaluation for eddy current inspection of fastener sites, AIP Proceedings, Volume 1096, 2009, Pages 1784-1791
- F. Jenson et al, 2010, Simulation supported POD: methodology and HFET validation case, QNDE
- Dominguez, N., Feuillard, V., Jenson, F., Willaume P., 2012, Simulation assisted POD of a Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection in Manufacturing, Rev. of Prog. In QNDE, Vol 31 (2012) pages 1765-1772
- B. Chapuis et al, 2014, Simulation supported POD curves for automated UT of pipeline girth welds, welding in the world, V58, 433-441
- M. Pavlovic et al, 2016, Reliability Analysis of the Ultrasonic Inspection System for the Inspection of Hollow Railway Axles, WCNDT.
- G. Ribay et al, 2016, Model-based POD study of manual ultrasound inspection and sensitivity analysis using metamodel, AIP Conf. Proc. 1706 (2016)
- N. Dominguez et al, 2014, POD Evaluation using simulation: PAUT case on a complex geometry part, AIP Conf. Proc. 1581, 2031
- B. Chapuis, P. Calmon, F. Jenson, 2016, Best practices for the use of Simulation in POD Curves Estimation, IIW Collection.
- P. Calmon and al, 2016, The use of simulation in POD curves estimation: An overview of the IIW best
practices proposal, WCNDT
- N. Dominguez et al, 2013, A new approach of confidence in POD determination using simulation, QNDE.
- Spencer, F.W., Nonparametric Pod Estimation for Hit/miss Data: a Goodness of Fit Comparison for parametric Models, Review of Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2011
196 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares