My 27 Years of Innovations in NDE: From Inventor’s School to Development of a New NDE Method
Conference: Publication Date: 26 March 2018Testing Method:
In a perfect world, every company would have limitless resources to conduct necessary corrosion and material research to ensure that their plant operated safely. The reality is different, which is why modern-day research engineers must have the necessary skills to find a solution within a reasonable budget and avoid the trial and error method.
Beginning my first year at college, I attended an inventor school that gave me a number of great ideas on solving technical problems using a methodology as opposed to intuition. As a result of working at that school, I created my first invention and also took my first career step in NDE. During the next 27 years, I was part of many challenging NDE projects in Russia and the USA and have authored 27 inventions. My current project is the development of guided wave testing methods based on magnetostrictive transduction. This is a newly established NDE method with a large number of applications and challenges.
In this presentation, I would like to talk about the history and logic behind my best inventions. One of them will be the Magnetostrictive transducer utilizing a Reversed Wiedemann effect and its application for structural health monitoring of high temperature pipes. A number of other interesting projects spanning a broad range of NDE applications in Nuclear and Petrochemical industries will also be discussed.
- Altshuller G., ‘Creativity as an Exact Science: The Theory of the Solution of Inventive Problems’. Translated by Anthony Williams. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers. 1984, ISBN 0-677-21230-5.
- Shakmatov D.T., Vinogradov S.A, USSR Certificate of authorship N 1525513 ‘Separating device for liquid metal coolant pressure gages’, Invention Bulletin 44, p71, 1989.
- Trofimov A.I., Vinogradov S.A. ‘Technique of Measurement of Curvature and Diameter of Nuclear Reactor Fuel Channels’, Obninsk. 1994.
- Vinogradov S. A., Trofimov A. I., ‘Method and device for measurements of geometry of technological channels’, USSR Patent N 2115089, 1998.
- Vinogradov S., Trofimov A., Baldin V., Stasenko V., “Non-Destructive Examination Automated System for RBMK Reactors Fuel Channels,” 7th European Conference on Non-destructive Testing, Denmark, Copenhagen, 1998.
- Vinogradov S., Trofimov A., Shevzov I.A., “Development of a Method for Rapid Assessment of Both Fuel Channels and Graphite Stack Geometry in RBMK Reactor,” 2nd International Conference on NDE in Relation to Structural Integrity for Nuclear and Pressurized Components, New Orleans, 2000.
- Viktorov, I.A., Rayleigh and Lamb waves, Plenum, New York, 1967.
- Rose, J.L., Ultrasonic waves in solid media, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1999.
- H. Kwun and K. A. Bartel, “Magnetostrictive sensor technology and its applications,” Ultrasonics 36, (1998)
- S. Vinogradov, B. Jacobs and J. Godwin, “Experimental and Theoretical Investigation for the Use of Guided Waves to Detect and Size Corrosion/Erosion Defects in Heat Exchanger Tubes,” 7th EPRI Balance of Plant Heat Exchanger NDE Symposium, Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico, 2002.
- Vinogradov S., Jacobs B., Godwin G., “Application of Guided Waves to Sizing Corrosion/ Erosion Detects in Pipes,” 6th EPRI Piping and Bolting Inspection Conference, Point Clear, Alabama, 2002.
- Vinogradov S.A., “Development of Enhanced Guided Wave Screening Using Broadband Magnetostrictive Transducer and Non-Linear Signal Processing,” Fourth Japan-US Symposium on Emerging NDE Capabilities for a Safer World, Maui Island, Hawaii, USA, June 7-11, 2010.
- Kwun H., Kim S., Crane J., “Method and apparatus generating and detecting torsional wave inspection of pipes or tubes” U.S. Patent N 6429650, 2002.
- Vinogradov S., “Tuning of Torsional Mode Guided Wave Technology for Screening of Carbon Steel Heat Exchanger Tubing,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 66, N 4, pp. 419–424, 2008.
- H. Kwan, S. Kim, H. Matsumoto, S. Vinogradov, “Detection of axial cracks in tube and pipe using torsional guided waves,” AIP Conference Proceeding; 975(1): 193-199, 2008.
- Wiedemann, Gustav (1881), Electrizitat 3: 519.
- Thompson, R.B., “Generation of horizontally polarized shear waves in ferromagnetic materials using magnetostrictively coupled meander-coil electromagnetic transducers,” Applied Physics Letters,1979.
- S. Vinogradov, H. Kwun, G. Light, D, C. Barrera, D. Maclean, N. Muthu, “Accomplishments and Challenges of Guided Wave Screening of Ferromagnetic Heat Exchanger Tubing,” 12th EPRI Balance-of-Plant Heat Exchanger NDE Symposium, August 6 - 8, 2012, Avon, Colorado.
- S.Vinogradov. “Method and System for the Generation of Torsional Guided Waves Using a Ferromagnetic Strip Sensor”. U.S. Patent 7,573,261 B1, 2009.
- S. Vinogradov. Method and System for Generating and Receiving Torsional Guided waves in a Structure.
- U.S. Patent 7,821,258, October 26, 2010.
- S. Vinogradov, "Magnetostrictive Transducer for Torsional Mode Guided Wave in Pipes and Plates," Materials Evaluation, Vol. 67, N 3, pp. 333–341, 2009.
- S. Vinogradov, A. Cobb, and G. Light, “Magnetostrictive Transducers (MsT) Utilizing Reversed Wiedemann Effect”, AIP Conference Proceeding, Volume 36, 2016.
- S. Vinogradov, C. Barrera “Development of Guided Wave Examinations of Piping and Tubing Using Magnetostrictive Sensor Technology," 8th International EPRI Conference on NDE in Relation to Structural Integrity of Nuclear and Pressurized Components, Berlin, Germany, 2010.
- J. Fisher S. Vinogradov, E. Laiche, K. Krzywosz, “Development of a Fuel Rod Guided Wave Inspection System,” 10th International Conference on Nondestructive Evaluation in Relation to Structural Integrity for Nuclear and Pressurized Components, Oct 1-3, 2013, Cannes, France.
- S.Vinogradov, G. Light, T. Eason, M. Lozev, “Mockup Evaluation of Magnetostrictive Transducers for Guided Wave Monitoring of Pipe at 200° C”, 26th ASNT Research Symposium, Jacksonville, Florida, 2017.
- S. Vinogradov, J. Leonard “Development of Magnetostrictive Sensor Technology for Guided Wave Examinations of Piping and Tubing,” 10th European Conference on NDT, Moscow, Russia, June 7-11, 2010. Sergey Vinogradov, Adam Cobb, Youichi Udagawa, “Development of a Novel Omnidirectional Magnetostrictive Transducer for Plate Applications” 44rd Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation in press, Provo, Utah, 2017.
- S. Vinogradov, C. Duffer, G. Light, “Magnetostrictive Sensing Probes for Guided Wave Testing of High Temperature Pipes,” in Materials Evaluation, Vol. 72, No 6, June 2014, pp 803-811.
- S. Vinogradov, H. Kwun. “Magnetostrictive sensor having crimped magnetostrictive strip for high temperature operation”, U.S. Patent 9170239, October 27, 2015.
- S. Vinogradov, M. Capps. “Methods and devices for long term structural health monitoring of pipelines and vessels”, U.S. Patent 9500626, November 22, 2016.
37 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares