Ultrasonic Sensor System for
Wall Thickness Monitoring
Publication: Publication Date: 1 May 2016Testing Method: This paper appeared as a feature in the biannual NDTMarketplace product guide insert.
Corrosion and erosion are a widespread and
costly problem for U.S. and global infrastructure.
Currently, manual ultrasonics and radiography are
widely deployed to measure asset integrity for wall
thickness degradation. While these techniques are
common and accepted, there are drawbacks in the
accuracy and precision of these measurements and
they take only a periodic snapshot view of asset
Installed ultrasonic sensors have the potential
for improved asset health monitoring compared to
current manual inspection techniques.
- API, API 510, Pressure Vessel Inspection Code: In-service Inspection, Rating, Repair, and Alteration, American Petroleum Institute, Washington, D.C., 2014.
- API, API 570, Piping Inspection Code: Inspection, Repair, Alteration, and Rerating of In-service Piping Systems, American Petroleum Institute, Washington, D.C., 2016.
- ASME, ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code, Section V – Nondestructive Evaluation, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, New York, 2015.
- ASME, ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code, Section XI – Rules for Inservice Inspection of Nuclear Power Plant Components, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, New York, 2013.
- ASTM, ASTM E 797, Standard Practice for Measuring Thickness by Manual Ultrasonic Pulse-echo Contact Method, ASTM International, Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, 2015.
- Biagiotti, S.F., “Effect of Temperature on Ultrasonic Velocity in Steel,” NACE Corrosion 97, No. 259, NACE International, Houston, Texas, 1997.
- CFR, “Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, Department of Transportation,” Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Subtitle B, Chapter 1, Subchapter D, Part 192, U.S. Government Publishing Office, Washington, D.C., 2011.
- NACE, “Refinery Additives Injection Facilities Refinery Injection and Process Mixing Points,” NACE International Publication 34101, NACE International, Houston, Texas, 2001.
- O’Brien, J., “Chevron NDE Performance Demonstration Exams,” API Inspection Summit, Galveston, Texas, 26–29 January 2015.
- OSHA, OSHA 29 CFR 1910 OSHA General Industry Regulations, U.S. Department of Labor, Washington, D.C., 2016.
215 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
1 Facebook Shares