Towards Aircraft Condition-based
Maintenance: SHM for Damage
Detection as In-situ NDI
Publication: Publication Date: 1 August 2016
This paper discusses promising techniques and
technologies related to the damage detection aspects
of SHM and makes a parallel to traditional NDI, especially
in terms of reliability estimations. SHM-DD is
seen as a cost-saving approach by reducing maintenance,
inspection times, and disassembly requirements,
but its on-aircraft implementation is not yet fully
- Boller, C., “Next Generation Structural Health Monitoring and its Integration into Aircraft Design,” International Journal of Systems Science, Vol. 31, No. 11, 2000, pp. 1333–1349.
- Boller, C., and N. Meyendorf, “State-of-the-art in Structural Health Monitoring for Aeronautics,” Proceedings of the International Symposium on NDT in Aerospace, Fürth, Germany, 3–5 December 2008.
- Brown, J., “It Takes More than a Statistician to Do Probability of Detection,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 70, No. 4, 2012, pp. 421–426.
- Brown, D.W., R.J. Connolly, D.R. Darr, and B. Laskowski, “Linear Polarization Resistance Sensor using the Structure as a Working Electrode,” Proceedings of the Second European Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Nantes, France, 8–10 July 2014, pp. 418–424.
- Derriso, M.M., S.E. Olson, M.P. DeSimio, and D.M. Pratt, “Why Are There Few Fielded SHM Systems for Aerospace Structures?” 6th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford, California, 11–13 September 2007.
- Diamati, K., and C. Soutis, “Structural Health Monitoring Techniques for Aircraft Composite Structures,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 46, No. 8, 2010, pp. 342–352.
- DOD, MIL-HDBK-1823A, Department of Defense Handbook: Nondestructive Evaluation System Reliability Assessment, Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., 2009.
- Eckstein, B., C.-P. Fritzen, and M. Bach, “Considerations on the Reliability of Guided Ultrasonic Wave-based SHM Systems for CFRP Aerospace Structures,” 6th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Dresden, Germany, 3–6 July 2012.
- Esperon-Miguez, M., P. John, and I.K. Jennions, “A Review of Integrated Vehicle Health Management Tools for Legacy Platforms: Challenges and Opportunities,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 56, January 2013, pp. 19–34.
- Generazio, E.R., “Design of Experiments for Validating Probability of Detection Capability of NDT Systems and for Qualification of Inspectors,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 67, No. 6, 2009, pp. 730–738.
- Güemes, A., “SHM Technologies and Applications in Aircraft Structures,” 5th International Symposium on NDT in Aerospace, Singapore, 13–15 November 2013.
- Habib, F., M. Martinez, A. Artemev, and M. Brothers, “Structural Health Monitoring of Bonded Composite Repairs – A Critical Comparison between Ultrasonic Lamb Wave Approach and Surface Mounted Crack Sensor Approach,” Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol. 47, April 2013, pp. 26–34.
- Herberich, J., “Applying MIL-HDBK-1823 for POD Demonstration on a Fluorescent Penetrant System,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 2009, pp. 293–301.
- Kapoor, H., C. Boller, S. Giljohan, and C. Brau, “Strategies for Structural Health Monitoring Implementation Potential Assessment in Aircraft Operational Life Extension Considerations,” 2nd International Symposium on NDT in Aerospace, Hamburg, Germany, 22–24 November 2010.
- Kessler, S.S., E.B. Flynn, C.T. Dunn, and M.D. Todd, “A Structural Health Monitoring Software Tool for Optimization, Diagnostics and Prognostics,” 3rd Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 25–29 September 2011.
- Li, M., W.Q. Meeker, and P. Hovey, “Joint Estimation on NDE Inspection Capability and Flaw-size Distribution for Inservice Aircraft Inspections,” Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 23, No. 2, 2012, pp. 104–123.
- Lindgren, E.A., “An NDE Perspective on SHM: Some Personal Observations,” 2011 Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainment, San Diego, California, 18–21 April 2011.
- Lindgren, E.A., and D. Stargel, “USAF Perspective on Foundational Challenges for Enhanced Damage Sensing,” 6th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Dresden, Germany, 3–6 July 2012.
- Meyendorf, N., B. Frankenstein, D. Hentschel, and L. Schubert, “Acoustic Techniques for Structural Health Monitoring,” 4th Panamerican Conference on NDE, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 2007.
- Rajic, N., K.A. Tsoi, and C. Rosalie, “Issues on the Durability of Piezoceramic Transducers for In Situ SHM using Acousto Ultrasonics,” 2nd International Symposium on NDT in Aerospace, Hamburg, Germany, 22–24 November 2010.
- Roach, D., and D. Piotrowski, “Validation of a Structural Health Monitoring System and Integration into the Airline Maintenance Program,” 57th Annual A4A NDT Forum, San Francisco, California, 22–25 September 2014.
- Rummel, W.D., “Probability of Detection (POD) is Not NDT/E Reliability,” Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 32, 2013, pp. 1809–1816.
- Soejima, H., K. Takahashi, Y. Okabe, N. Takeda, and M. Yoshida, “Investigation of the Probability of Detection of our SHM System,” 6th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Dresden, Germany, 3–6 July 2012.
- Speckmann, H., and H. Roesner, “Structural Health Monitoring: A Contribution to the Intelligent Aircraft Structure,” Proceedings of the 2006 European Conference on NDT, Berlin, Germany, 25–29 September 2006.
- Stolz, C., and M. Neumair, “Structural Health Monitoring, Inservice Experience, Benefit and Way Ahead,” Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2010, pp. 209–217.
- Stolz, C., A. Haberl, and C. Meisner, “Influences on Reliability and Performance of AU Based SHM Systems, Requirements and Approach for Detection Performance Assessment,” 5th European-American Workshop on Reliability of NDE, Berlin, Germany, 7–10 October 2013.
- Washabaugh, A., V. Zilberstein, R. Lyons, K. Walrath, N. Goldfine, and E. Abramovici, “Fatigue and Stress Monitoring using Scanning and Permanently Mounted MWM-array,” Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 22, 2003, pp. 1598–1605.
139 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares