Study on the Laser-Based Weld Surface Flaw Identification System Employing Wavelet Analysis Methodology
Publication: Publication Date: 1 August 2016Testing Method:
A surface flaw found in weld can potentially pose a safety concern to industrial applications which could result into fatal incidents. To increase the integrity of these structures, a new surface flaw identification technique on enhancing the flaw characterization is studied for weld inspection. The proposed technique employs the integration of a laser-line profile sensor and processing module based on wavelet analysis. The laserline sensor acquired the two-dimensional profile of a target weld based on the principle of laser triangulation and yield the height and width information of the weld. This two-dimensional profile data is then processed by a symlet wavelet (sym8) based flaw identification algorithm to calculate the positions of the flaws on the sample. Experimental results for different flaw sizes show that the surface flaw identification technique is able to accurately identify and locate surface features 0.2 mm wide.
- H. B. Cary and S. C. Helzer. Modern Welding Technology. Sixth ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, pp. 1–5 (1979).
- B. G. Bubar. Pipeline Planning and Construction Field Manual. Gulf Professional Publishing, Huston, TX, pp. 357–378 (2011).
- N. Yusa, E. Machida, L. Janousek, M. Rebican, Z. Chen, and K. Miya. Nucl. Eng. Des. 235:1469–1480 (2005).
- H. I. Shafeek, E. S. Gadelmawla, A. A. Abdel-Shafy, and I. M. Elewa. NDT&E Int. 37:301–307 (2004).
- M. Thornton, L. Han, and M. Shergold. NDT&E Int. 48:30–38 (2012).
- M. E. Forshaw and P. J. Mudge. Proceedings of 4th European Conference on NDT, London, UK, 4:2729–2740 (1987).
- C. K. Low and B. S. Wong. Insight: Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring 46:598–605 (2004).
- Z. Qu, A. Bennecer, C. Selcuk, and T. H. Gan. The 51st Annual Conference of The British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing, Daventry, UK (2012).
- R. J. Ditchburn, S. K. Burke, and C. M. Scala. NDT&E Int. 29:111–117 (1999).
- W. Huang and R. Kovacevic. Sensors 11:506–521 (2011).
- X. Min, Y. Zou, and C. Zhang. Proceedings of 2nd International Asia Conference onInformatics in Control, Automation and Robotics,Wuhan, China, 2:349–353 (2010).
- I. Daubechies. Ten Lectures on Wavelets. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Pennsylvania, USA (1992).
- R. R. Coifman, Y. Meyer, and V. Wickerhauser. Wavelet Analysis and Signal Processing, in Wavelets and Their Applications. Jones and Bartlett, Burlington, MA, pp. 153–178 (1992).
- S. Mallat and W. L. Hwang. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 38:617–643 (1992).
- D. F. Walnut. An Introduction to Wavelet Analysis. Birkhäuser Boston, New York, US., pp. 215–247 (2002).
- Micro-Epsilon. ScanControl Brochure. Available at http://www.micro-epsilon.co.uk/ download/products/cat–scanCONTROL–en.pdf (accessed 24 Jul 2014).
- USL Ultrasonic Sciences. Product. Available at http://www.ultrasonic-sciences.co.uk/ (accessed 24 Jul 2014).
7 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares