Nondestructive Testing of Dielectric Materials using
an Active Reflecting Microwave Array
Publication: Publication Date: 1 December 2016Testing Method:
Microwave testing of dielectric materials has
recently become an increasingly important field.
Dielectric materials such as composites are
preferred over metallic counterparts, due to their
light weight and superior strength. Because of the
exponential growth in the use of such materials, a
reliable method for testing is vital. This paper
presents a novel microwave imaging system for
the nondestructive detection of anomalies in
dielectric materials. The system utilizes an active
beam steering array that scans a wide circular
sector of 150° where dielectric targets are positioned.
The scattered field, measured on the arc of
the sector, was used for image reconstruction and
discontinuity detection by means of time reversal
signal processing. Two types of anomalies are
considered in the paper: discontinuities and
metallic impurities. Experimental results of
detecting these anomalies within dielectric
samples are presented.
- Born, M., and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference and Diffraction of Light, fourth edition, Academic Press, New York, New York, 1970.
- Bindu, G., A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, C.K. Anandan, and K.T. Mathew, “Active Microwave Imaging for Breast Cancer Detection,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 2006, pp. 149–169.
- Caorsi, S., A. Massa, A. Pastorino, and M. Donelli, “Improved Microwave Imaging Procedure for Nondestructive Evaluations of Two-dimensional Structures,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 6, 2004, pp. 1386–1397.
- Gilmore, C., A. Zakaria, S. Pistorius, and J. LoVetri, “Microwave Imaging of Human Forearms: Pilot Study and Image Enhancement,” International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, Vol. 2013, No. 673027, 2013.
- Lai, J.C.Y., C.B. Soh, E. Gunawan, and K.S. Low, “UWB Microwave Imaging for Breast Cancer Detection – Experiments with Heterogeneous Breast Phantoms,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 16, 2011, pp. 19–29.
- Meaney, P.M., “Microwave Imaging and Emerging Applications,” International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, Vol. 2012, 2012, pp. 1–2.
- Meaney, P.M., M.W. Fanning, D. Li, S.P. Poplack, and K.D. Paulsen, “A Clinical Prototype for Active Microwave Imaging of the Breast,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 48, No. 11, 2000, pp. 1841–1853.
- Ostadrahimi, M., P. Mojtabai, S. Noghanian, J. LoVetri, and L. Shafai, “A Multiprobe-per-collector Modulated Scatterer Technique for Microwave Tomography,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 2011, pp. 1445–1448.
- Paladhi, P.R., A.K. Sinha, A. Tayebi, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa, “Improved Backpropagation Algorithm by Exploiting Data Redundancy in Limitedangle Diffraction Tomography,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 66, 2016, pp. 1–13.
- Peichl, M., T. Albers, and S. Dill, “Detection of Small Impurities in Bulk Material by MMW Radar,” 16th International Radar Symposium, Dresden, Germany, 24–26 June 2015, pp. 294–299.
- Qaddoumi, N., S. Ganchev, R. Zoughi, and G. Carriveau, “Microwave Imaging of Thick Composite Panels with Defects,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 53, No. 8, 1995, pp. 926–929.
- Qaddoumi, N., T. Bigelow, R. Zoughi, L. Brown, and M. Novack, “Reduction of Sensitivity to Surface Roughness and Slight Standoff Distance Variations in Microwave Testing of Thick Composite Structures,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 2002, pp. 165–170.
- Tayebi, A., P. Roy Paladhi, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa, “A Novel Time Reversal Based Microwave Imaging System,” Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 62, 2016, pp. 139–147.
- Tayebi, A., J. Tang, P. Roy Paladhi, L. Udpa, S. Udpa, and E.J. Rothwell, “Dynamic Beam Shaping using a Dual-band Electronically Tunable Reflectarray Antenna,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 2015a, pp. 4534–4539.
- Tayebi, A., J. Tang, P. Roy Paladhi, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa, “Design and Development of an Electrically-controlled Beam Steering Mirror for Microwave Tomography,” 41st Annual Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 1650, No. 1, 2015b, pp. 501–508.
- Yavuz, M.A., and F.L. Teixeira “Ultrawideband Microwave Sensing and Imaging Using Time-reversal Techniques: A Review,” Remote Sensing, Vol. 9, 2009, pp. 466–495.
- Zoughi, R., J. Lai, and K. Munoz, “A Brief Review of Microwave Testing of Stratified Structures: a Comparison Between Plane Wave and Near Field Approaches,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 2002, pp. 171–177.
423 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares