Microstructural Evaluation of High-strength Bainitic
Steel by Nondestructive Techniques
Publication: Publication Date: 1 November 2016Testing Method: ,
Phase transformation in 28Cr3SiNiWMoV steel
was studied by utilizing different techniques.
Appropriate heat treatment cycles were employed
to understand the microstructural changes within
the high-strength steel. It was observed that the
austenite formation started at 1073 K (800 °C) and
completed at approximately 1123 K (850 °C).
Further, on cooling in the furnace from the
austenitic range, it was noted that the resultant
structure was bainitic, having hardness greater
than 450 Hv. Nondestructive analysis of the
samples treated at different heat treatment
temperatures revealed that there is a good correlation
between the metallurgical changes and the
ultrasonic longitudinal velocity. This study can be
used to evaluate the hardness of the material
without any destructive testing.
- ASTM, ASTM E 8/E 8M, Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, 2016.
- Bischof, M., P. Staron, D. Caliskanoglu, H. Leitner, C. Scheu, and H. Clemens, “On the Overaging Behavior of Tool Steel X38CrMoV 5-3,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 472, Nos. 1–2, 2008, pp. 148–156.
- Dai, Y., Z. Zhang, Y. Ma, Y. Qi, and Y. Liu, “Microstructures and Hardness of 8CrWMoV Steel with Multiple Types of Ultra Fine Carbides,” Transactions of Materials and Heat Treatment, Vol. 5, 2004, pp. 279–283.
- de Albuquerque, V.H.C., T.A. de Ameloc, D.F. de Oliveira, R.M. Gomes, and J.M.R.S. Tavares, “Evaluation of Grain Refiners Influence on the Mechanical Properties in a CuAlBe Shape Memory Alloy by Ultrasonic and Mechanical Testing,” Materials and Design, Vol. 31, No. 7, 2010, pp. 3275–3281.
- de Araujo Freitas, V.L., V.H.C. de Albuquerque, E. de Macedo Silva, A.A. Silva, and J.M.R.S. Tavares, “Nondestructive Characterization of Microstructure and Determination of Elastic Properties in Plain Carbon Steel using Ultrasonic Measurements,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 527, Nos. 16–17, 2012, pp. 4431–4437.
- de Araujo Freitas, V.L., P.G. Normando, V.H.C. de Albuquerque, E. de Macedo Silva, A.A. Silva, and J.M.R.S. Tavares, “Nondestructive Characterization and Evaluation of Embrittlement Kinetics and Elastic Constants of Duplex Stainless Steel SAF2205 for Different Ageing Times at 425 °C and 475 °C,” Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 30, No. 3, 2011, pp. 130–136.
- Furuhara, T., H. Kawata, S. Morito, G. Miyamoto, and T. Maki, “Variant Selection in Grain Boundary Nucleation of Upper Bainite,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 39, No. 5, 2008, pp. 1003–1013.
- Garcia-Mateo, C., B. Lopez, and J.M. Rodriguez-Ibabe, “Static Recrystallization Kinetics in Warm Worked Vanadium Micro-alloyed Steels,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 303, Nos. 1–2, 2001, pp. 216–225.
- Ichinose, L.H., Y. Kohno, T. Kitada, and M. Matsumura, “Applications of Eddy Current Test to Fatigue Crack Inspection of Steel Bridges,” Memoirs of the Faculty of Engineering, Osaka City University, Vol. 48, 2007, pp. 57–62.
- Kang, M., M.X. Zhang, F. Liu, and M. Zhu, “Kinetics and Morphology of Isothermal Transformations at Intermediate Temperature in 15CrMnMoV Steel,” Materials Transactions, Japanese Institute of Metals, Vol. 50 No. 1, 2009, pp. 123–129.
- Kapoor, R., L. Kumar, and I.S. Batra, “A Dilatometric Study of the Continuous Heating Transformations in 18wt.% Ni Maraging Steel of Grade 350,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 352 Nos. 1–2, 2003, pp. 318–324.
- Khalid, F.A., and D.V. Edmonds, “Effect of Vanadium on the Grain Boundary Carbide Nucleation of Pearlite in High-carbon Steels,” Scripta Metallurgy and Materials, Vol. 30, No. 10, 1994, pp. 1251–1255.
- Lee, S.H., J.Y. Choi, and W.J. Nam, “Hardening Behavior of a 304 Stainless Steel Containing Deformation-induced Martensite during Static Strain Aging,” Materials Transactions, Vol. 50, No. 4, 2009, pp. 926–929.
- Perrard, F., and C. Scott, “Vanadium Precipitation during Intercritical Annealing in Cold Rolled TRIP Steels,” ISIJ International, Vol. 47, No. 8, 2007, pp. 1168–1177.
- Pippel, E., J. Woltersdorf, G. Pockl, and G. Lichtenegger, “Microstructure and Nanochemistry of Carbide Precipitates in High-speed Steel S 6-5-2-5,” Materials Characterization, Vol. 43, No. 1, 1999, pp. 41–55.
- Roberts, G.A., J.C. Hamaker, and A.R. Johnson, Tool Steels, third ed., American Society for Metals, Metals Park, Ohio, 1971, pp. 544–545.
- Zhang, D., H. Terasaki, and Y. Komizo, “Morphological and Crystallographic Evolution of Bainite Transformation in Fe-0.15C Binary Alloy,” Microscopy Research and Technique, Vol. 73, No. 1, 2010, pp. 67–70.
- Zhang, M.X., and P.M. Kelly, “Crystallography of Carbide-free Bainite in a Hard Bainitic Steel,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vols. 438–440, November 2006, pp. 272–275.
152 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares