In-Situ Structural Health Monitoring of a Reinforced Concrete Frame Embedded with Cement-Based Piezoelectric Smart Composites
Publication: Publication Date: 1 November 2016Testing Method:
The application of a novel cement-based piezoelectric (PZT) ceramic sensor to the in-situ stress-time history monitoring of a reinforced concrete frame structure is described in this article. Smart frame composite structures were produced and characterized by a range of experimental methods. ADINA, a finite element analysis program, was used to analyze the mechanical response of the concrete frame under static loading. The results show that the mechanical-electrical response of sensors embedded in a reinforced concrete frame structure follows a linear relationship under various loading conditions. The sensors are able to record the stress history of the frame under static loads. Moreover, the measured stress maxima agree well with the simulated results, and the smart structure is found to be capable of reliably monitoring the response of a frame structure during stress testing for different loading modes to real concrete structures. The study indicates that such cement-based PZT composites have a high feasibility and applicability to the in-situ stress-time history monitoring of reinforced concrete structures.
- C. Rosalie, A. Chan, W. K. Chiu, S. C. Galea, F. Rose, and N. Rajic. Compos. Struct. 67:157–166 (2005).
- S. Bhalla, Y. Yang, J. Zhao, and C. K. Soh. Tunn. Undergr. Sp. Tech. 20:487–500 (2005).
- G. Park, A. G. Rutherford, H. Sohn, and C. R. Farrar. J. Sound Vib. 286:229–250 (2005).
- C. L. Barnes, J.-F. Trottier, and D. Forgeron. NDT&E Int. 41:427–433 (2008).
- F. K. Chang. Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Technomic. Lancaster, PA, pp. xix–xxix, September, 1999.
- M. R. Banan and K. D. Hjelmstad. J. Struct. Eng. 120:3243–3258 (1994).
- M. Sanayei and M. J. Saletnik. J. Struct. Eng. 122:555–562 (1996).
- S. Bhalla and C. K. Soh. NDT&E Int. 37:23–33 (2004).
- E. Matsumoto, S. Biwa, K. Katsumi, Y. Omoto, K. Iguchi, and T. Shibata. NDT&E Int. 37:57–64 (2004).
- S. C. Liu, M. Tomizuka, and G. Ulsoy. Struct. Control Health Monit. 13:946–957 (2006).
- A. M. Neville. Properties of Concrete. 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 359–481 (1996).
- T. Kamada, T. Fujita, T. Hatayama, T. Arikabe, N. Murai, S. Aizawa, and K. Tohyama. Smart Mater. Struct. 6:448–456 (1997).
- W. J. Staszewski, C. Boller, S. Grondel, C. Biemans, E. O’Brien, C. Delebarre, and G. R. Tomlinson. In Health Monitoring of Aerospace Structures: Smart Sensor Technologies and Signal Processing. W. Staszewski, C. Boller, and G. R. Tomlinson (eds.). London, UK, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. (2004).
- C. Liang, F. P. Sun, and C. A. Rogers. J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str. 5:12–20 (1994).
- H. T. Banks, R. C. Smith, and Y Wang. Smart Material Structures: Modeling, Estimation and Control. Wiley, New York, pp. 3–26 (1996).
- C. S. Wang and F. K. Chang. Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on
- E. P. George, R. Gotthardt, K. Otsuka, S. Trolier-McKinstry, and M. Wun-Fogle. Materials for Smart Systems II, Symposium Proceedings of Materials Research Society. Vol. 459, Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA (1997).
- C. Domenici, D. De Rossi, A. Bacci, and S. Bennati. IEEE Trans. Electr. Insul. 24:1077–1081 (1989).
- A. L. Smith and D. J. Mee. J. Strain Anal. Eng. 31:463–465 (1996).
- E. F. Crawley. AIAA J. 32:1689–1699 (1994).
- Z. J. Li and B. Q. Dong. Proceeding of SPIE on Smart Structures and Materials 2003 and Nondestructive Evaluation for Health Monitoring and Diagnostics 2003. San Diego, CA (2003).
- Z. J. Li and B. Q. Dong. International Symposium on Macro-, Meso-, Micro- and Nano-Mechanics of Materials (MM03). Hong Kong, China (2003).
- Z. J. Li, B. Q. Dong, and D. Zhang. Cem. Concr. Compos. 27:27–32 (2005).
- B. Q. Dong and Z. J. Li. Compos. Sci. Technol. 65:1363–1371 (2005).
- B. Q. Dong, F. Xing, and J. Li. ACI Mater. J. 108:543–549 (2011).
- B. Q. Dong, F. Xing, and Z. J. Li. Smart Mater. Res. (2011). doi:10.1155/2011/236719.
- A. K. Pandey and M. Biswas. J. Sound. Vib. 169:3–17 (1994).
- X. M. Wang, C. Ehlers, and M. Neitzel. Smart Mater. Struct. 5:492–500 (1996).
- A. H. Meitzler, D. Berlincourt, F. S. Welsh, H. F. Tiersten, G. A. Coquin, and A. W. Warner. IEEE Standard on Piezoelectricity. ANSI/IEE Standard 176:4–11 (1987).
- Y. E. Pak. Int. J. Fracture 54:79–100 (1992).
- Z. Suo, C.M. Kuo, D. M. Barnett, and J. R. Willis. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 40:739–765 (1992).
- F. Xing, B. Q. Dong, and Z. J. Li. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 91:2886–2891 (2008).Structural Health Monitoring, Technomic. Lancaster, PA, pp. 612–621 (1999)
8 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares