Free Vibration Analysis of Sandwich Cylinder Considering Thin Damping Core Layer
Conference: Publication Date: 11 April 2016Testing Method:
Free vibration of constrained layer cylinders is considered, the medium is modeled by laminated linear viscoelastic cylinders of an infinite extent. The flexural vibration of the main elastic cylinder is damped using viscoelastic core which is discontinuously constrained by number of elastic segments around the circumference. The core layer is assumed to be linear viscoelastic with complex elastic moduli. In development of analytical procedure the governing equation for the free vibration of damped system is formulated. As a result a sixth order differential equation for the motion is derived. This equation has the same form as that reported by Mead and Markus for a continuously constrained three layer sandwich beam. Six boundary conditions in terms of flexural displacement are satisfied for fixed-free and free-free discontinuously damped sandwich cylinders. The determinant of coefficient matrix is then equated to zero and roots are computed using iteration method. A parameter study is conducted and dimensionless natural frequencies and the model loss factors are computed for different shear parameter, geometric parameter, and the core loss factor. The ranges of these parameters are sufficient to cover most cases which are encountered in practice for the first three modes of vibration.
- Ross, D., Ungar, U. and Kerwin, U., "Damping of plate flexural vibrations by means of viscoelastic laminae,"
- Structural Damping (ASME), section (3), 1959.
- Mead, D.J. and Markus, S., "The Forced vibration of a three-layered, damped sandwich beam with Arbitrary Boundary Conditions," Journal of Sound and vibration, vol. 10, 2, pp. 163-175, 1969.
- Hotchkiss, A., "Constrained layer damping applied to a cantilever tube," ISVR Technical Report No. 64, University of Southampton, 1974.
- Hamidzadeh, H.R. and Chandler, D., "Circumferential vibrations of three layered sandwich cylinders," The Proceedings of the Thirteenth Biennial ASME Conference on Mechanical Vibrations and Noise, DE 36: 233- 237, 1991.
- Hamidzadeh, H.R. and Sawaya, N.N., "Free vibration of thick multi-layer cylinders," Journal of Shock and Vibrations, 2 (5), 393-401, 1995
- Hamidzadeh, H.R., "The effect of viscoelastic core thickness on modal loss factors of a thick three-layer cylinder" Journal of Multi-body Dynamics, vol. 223, 1, pp. 1-8, 2009.
- Nehru, E.S., "Axisymmetric Vibration of Piezo-Lemv Composite Hollow Multilayer Cylinder" International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2012, Article ID 406364, 12 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/406364
- Li, S.R., Fu, X.H. and Batra, R.C., "Free vibration of three-layer circular cylindrical shells with functionally graded middle layer" Mechanics Research Communications, vol. 37, 6, pp. 577-580, 2010
- Mohammadi, F. and Sedaghati, R., "Linear and nonlinear vibration analysis of sandwich cylindrical shell with constrained viscoelastic core layer" International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 54, 1, pp. 156-171, 2012
48 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares