Detection and Identification of Dents in Pipelines using Guided Waves
Publication: Publication Date: 1 January 2016Testing Method: ,
Dents are one of the primary failure modes in
pipelines, and dent detection is a critical technology
to ensuring pipeline safety. An experimental
study for detection and identification of
dents in pipes using ultrasonic guided waves was
carried out. For revealing the relationship between
the characteristics of reflected guided waves and
the geometric features of dents, the dented region
was represented by a series of circumferential
cross-sections and a quantitative parameter; the
so-called deformation rate was defined to evaluate
the effect of the extent of the dent on the reflection.
Both single- and double-sided dents were
mechanically simulated in hollow aluminum pipes
and then experimentally tested by exciting and
receiving the longitudinal L(0,2) mode. The results
show that the L(0,2) reflection coefficients from
both types of dents increase monotonically with
their respective deformation rates at all selected
frequencies. The radial displacement of the L(0,2)
mode may be a primary factor influencing the
sensitivity of the dent detection. It is shown that
the L(0,2) reflection coefficients decrease markedly
at lower frequencies while decrease slightly at
relatively high frequencies. Furthermore, the
tendency of the curve of reflection coefficient with
frequency is similar to that the radial displacement
of the L(0,2) mode versus frequency. These characteristics
indicate that the wideband L(0,2) mode
provides a viable technique for detection and identification
of dents in pipelines
- Alleyne, D.N., and P. Cawley, “The Effect of Discontinuities on the Longrange Propagation of Lamb Waves in Pipes,” Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 210, 1996, pp. 217–226.
- Bai, H., A.H. Shah, N. Popplewell, and S.K. Datta, “Scattering of Guided Waves by Circumferential Cracks in Steel Pipes,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 68, 2001, pp. 619–631.
- Chen, Q., M. Marley, and J. Zhou, “Remaining Capacity Collapse of Corroded Pipelines,” Proceedings of the ASME 2011 30th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 19–24 June 2011, pp. 19–24.
- Demma, A., P. Cawley, M. Lowe, A.G. Roosenbrand, and B. Pavlakovic, “The Reflection of Guided Waves from Notches in Pipes: a Guide for Interpreting Corrosion Measurements,” NDT&E International, Vol. 37, No. 3, 2004, pp. 167–180.
- Duran, O., K. Althoefer, and L.D. Seneviratne, “State of the Art in Sensor Technologies for Sewer Inspection,” IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2002, pp. 73–81.
- Galvagni, A., and P. Cawley, “The Reflection of Guided Waves from Simple Supports in Pipes,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 129, 2011, pp. 1869–1880.
- Hayashi, T., K. Kawashima, Z. Sun, and J.L. Rose, “Guided Wave Propagation Mechanics Across a Pipe Elbow,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 127, No. 3, 2005, pp. 322–327.
- Ihn, J.B., and F.K. Chang, “Detection and Monitoring of Hidden Fatigue Crack Growth using a Built-in Piezoelectric Sensor/Actuator Network: I. Diagnostics,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 13, 2004, pp. 609–620.
- Kwun, H., S.Y. Kim, H. Matsumoto, and S. Vinogradov, “Detection of Axial Cracks in Tube and Pipe using Torsional Guided Waves,” Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 27, 2008, pp. 193–199.
- Kyriakides, S., M.K. Yeh, and D.P. Roach, “On the Determination of the Propagation Pressure of Long Circular Tubes,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 106, 1984, pp. 150–159.
- Limura, S., “Simplified Mechanical Model for Evaluating Stress in Pipeline Subject to Settlement,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 18, No. 6, 2004, pp. 469–479.
- Lowe, M.J.S., D.N. Alleyne, and P. Cawley, “The Mode Conversion of a Guided Wave by a Part-circumferential Notch in a Pipe,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 65, No. 3, 1998, pp. 649–656.
- Ma, S.Y., Z.J. Wu, K.H. Liu, and Y.S. Yang, “Experimental Investigation of Deformation Defect Detection in Pipes using Ultrasonic Guided Waves,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 49, No. 14, 2013, pp. 1–8 (in Chinese).
- Macdonald, K.A., A. Cosham, C.R. Alexander, and P. Hopkins, “Assessing Mechanical Damage in Offshore Pipelines–Two Case Studies,” Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 14, No. 8, 2007, pp. 1667–1679.
- Moll, J., C. Heftrich, and C.P. Fritzen, “Time-varying Inverse Filtering of Narrowband Ultrasonic Signals,” Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 10, 2010, pp. 403–415.
- Na, W.B., and T. Kundu, “Underwater Pipeline Inspection using Guided Waves,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 124, 2002, pp. 196–200.
- Owens, E.J., “Automatic Transmit-receive Switch Uses No Relays but Handles High Power,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 68, 1980, pp. 712–713.
- Pace, N.G., “Ultrasonic Surveying of Fully Charged Sewage Pipes,” Electronics & Communications Engineering Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, 1994, pp. 87–92.
- Rose, J.L., “A Baseline and Vision of Ultrasonic Guided Wave Inspection Potential,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 124, No. 3, 2002, pp. 273–282.
- Rose, J.L., Z. Sun, P.J. Mudge, and M.J. Avioli, “Guided Wave Flexural Mode Tuning and Focusing for Pipe Testing,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 61, No. 2, 2003, pp. 161–167.
- Silk, M.G., and K.F. Bainton, “The Propagation in Metal Tubing of Ultrasonic Wave Modes Equivalent to Lamb Waves,” Ultrasonics, Vol. 17, No. 2, 1979, pp. 1119.
- Sun, Z., L. Zhang, and J.L. Rose, “Flexural Torsional Guided Wave Mechanics and Focusing in Pipe,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 127, No. 4, 2005, pp. 471–478.
- Tse, P.W., and X. Wang, “Characterization of Pipeline Defect in Guidedwaves Based Inspection through Matching Pursuit with the Optimized Dictionary,” NDT&E International, Vol. 54, March 2013, pp. 171–182.
- Verma, B., T.K. Mishra, K. Balasubramaniam, and P. Rajagopal, “Interaction of Low-frequency Axisymmetric Ultrasonic Guided Waves with Bends in Pipes of Arbitrary Bend Angle and General Bend Radius,” Ultrasonics, Vol. 54, No. 3, 2014, pp. 801–808.
- Xue, J., “Postbuckling Analysis of the Length of Transition Zone in a Buckle Propagation Pipeline,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 80, No. 5, 2013, pp. 051002-1–051002-6.
- Yang, S.K., P.H. Lee, and J.W. Cheng, “Effect of Welded Pipe Support Brackets on Torsional Guided Wave Propagation,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 67, No. 8, 2009, pp. 935–944.
408 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares