Damage Analysis of 3D Braided Composite Material using Embedded Carbon Nanotube Thread Sensors
Publication: Publication Date: 1 June 2016
In this paper, a new nondestructive testing method of 3D braided composites using carbon nanotube thread sensors is proposed. The optimization allocation principle of carbon nanotube threads embedded in 3D braided composites was developed. The strain sensing of carbon nanotube threads embedded in 3D braided composites was analyzed. The results of experiments have proved that the resistance change of carbon nanotube thread is sensitive enough for use in detecting the internal damage of 3D braided composites. The study provides the basis for structural health monitoring system of 3D braided composites using carbon nanotube threads.
- Alexopoulos, N.D., C. Bartholome, P. Poulin, and Z. Marioli-Riga, “Structural Health Monitoring of Glass Fiber Reinforced Composites using Embedded Carbon Nanotube (CNT) Fibers,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 70, No. 2, 2010, pp. 260–271.
- Fang, G., and J. Liang, “A Review of Numerical Modeling of Three-dimensional Braided Textile Composites,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 45, No. 23, 2011, pp. 2415–2436.
- Li, X.-H., S.-F. Yuan, X.-H. Liu, and G.-P. Zhou, “Experimental Research on Structural Failure Analysis of 3-D Braided Composites by Braided Optical Fibers,” Gongneng Cailiao/Journal of Functional Materials, Vol. 36, No. 2, 2005, pp. 267–269.
- Liu, L., W.-C. Gao, Y. Sun, and M. Xu, “Optimal Sensor Placement for Spatial Lattice Structure Based on Genetic Algorithms,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 317, Nos. 1–2, , 2008, pp. 175–189.
- Pyrzanowski, P., and M. Olzak, “Numerical Modelling of Resistance Changes in Symmetric CFRP Composite Under the Influence of Structure Damage,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 88, 14 November 2013, pp. 99–105.
- Samanta, B., and C. Nataraj, “Use of Particle Swarm Optimization for Machinery Fault Detection,” Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2009, pp. 308–316.
- Shokrieh, M.M., and M.S. Mazloomi, “A New Analytical Model for Calculation of Stiffness of Three-dimensional Four-directional Braided Composites,” Composite Structures, Vol. 94, No. 3, 2012, pp. 1005–1015.
- Song, L., and J. Li, “Effects of Heat Accelerated Aging on Tensile Strength of Three Dimensional Braided/epoxy Resin Composites,” Polymer Composites, Vol. 33, No. 9, 2012, pp. 1635–1643.
- Sun, Y. J. Li, L. Chen, and Y. Shao, “Experimental Researches on
- the Mechanical Properties of Three Dimensional Multidirectional
- Braided Composites,” Advanced Materials Research, Vols. 78–82, 2009, pp. 1237–1240.
- Tang, Z.X., and R. Postle, “Mechanics of Three-dimensional Braided Structures for Composite Materials – Part III: Nonlinear Finite Element Deformation Analysis,” Composite Structures, Vol. 55, No. 3, 2002, pp. 307–317.
- Wan, Z., J.D. Li, M. Jia, and J.L. Li, “Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) of Three-dimensional Braided Composite Material using Carbon Nanotube Thread Sensors,” Journal of Mechanics, Vol. 29, No. 4, 2013, pp. 617–621.
- Wang, W., “High-performance Textile Composites Made by Tianjin Polytechnic University Help ‘Chang E’ Flight to the Moon,” Sohu, 25 October 2007, news.sohu.com/20071025/n252845024.shtml (in Chinese).
- Xu, K., “A Numerical Study on the Progressive Failure of 3D Four-directional Braided Composites,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 2013, 2013.
- Yi, T.-H., H.-N. Li, and M. Gu, “Optimal Sensor Placement for Structural Health Monitoring Based on Multiple Optimization Strategies.,” The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, Vol. 20, No. 7, 2011, pp. 881–900.
67 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares