Case Studies for
and Mission Success
Publication: Publication Date: 1 May 2016Testing Method: , , ,
The Aerospace Corp. employs approximately 3500 people, 70% of whom are
technical specialists, with more than 700 of them holding a Ph.D. (Aerospace,
2016). The Materials Physics and Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) department is
well equipped with a repertoire of capabilities and staffed with experts accustomed
to short notice requests and responding to difficult and urgent situations.
What follows are a few examples where NDE solutions were developed to solve
critical problems that were at the time deemed very difficult to solve.
- Aerospace, “About Us,” Aerospace Corp., El Segundo, California, www.aerospace.org/about-us, 24 March 2016.
- Architen Landrell, “Using PTFE Coated Glass Cloth,” Architen Landrell Associates, Ltd., www.architen.com/articles/using-ptfe-glass-cloth, 10 March 2010.
- Huntington, C.G., The Tensioned Fabric Roof, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Virginia, 2004.
- Johnson, E.C., D.N. Patel, C.J. Panetta, O. Esquivel, and Y.M. Kim, “NDE of Lap Seams in Composite Laminate Fabric Structures,” Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Nondestructive Characterization of Materials, Le Mans, France, 20–24 May 2013.
- Johnson, E.C., S. Kenderian, R.B. Pan, and A. Hoffman, “Insitu Radiographic Detection of Improperly Seated Thruster Valve Springs,” Proceedings of the 5th US-Japan NDT Symposium, Maui, Hawaii, 16–20 June 2014.
- Son, M.E., “The Design and Analysis of Tension Fabric Structures,” M.Eng. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, June 2007.
- Svetlik-Haley, S.L., and Y.M. Kim, “Eddy Current Method for Measuring Composite Facesheet Thickness Through Cork,” Proceedings of the 14th International Symposium on Nondestructive Characterization of Materials, Marina Del Rey, California, 22–26 June 2015.
156 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares