Aircraft Structural Health Monitoring
Publication: Publication Date: 1 September 2016
This work presents general factors affecting the
monitoring for damage detection outcomes and discusses candidate solutions
of establishing reliability measures similar to nondestructive inspection-based
- Aldrin, J.C., E.A. Medina, D.A. Allwine, M.Q. Ahmed, J. Fisher, J.S. Knopp, and E.A. Lindgren, “Probabilistic Risk Assessment: Impact of Human Factors on Nondestructive Evaluation and Sensor Degradation on Structural Health Monitoring,” Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 26, 2007, pp. 1461–1468.
- Aldrin, J.C., E.A. Medina, E.A. Lindgren, C.F. Buynak, and J.S. Knopp, “Protocol for Reliability Assessment of Structural Health Monitoring Systems Incorporating Model-assisted Probability of Detection (MAPOD) Approach,” Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on SHM, 2011, pp. 2452–2459.
- Boller, C., “Next Generation Structural Health Monitoring and its Integration into Aircraft Design,” International Journal of Systems Science, Vol. 31, No. 11, 2000, pp. 1333–1349.
- Boller, C., and N. Meyendorf, “State-of-the-art in Structural Health Monitoring for Aeronautics,” Proceedings of the International Symposium on NDT in Aerospace, Fürth/Bavaria, Germany, 3–5 December 2008.
- Cobb, A.C., J. Fisher, and J.E. Michaels, “Model-assisted Probability of Detection for Ultrasonic Structural Health Monitoring,” 4th European-American workshop on Reliability of NDE, Berlin, Germany, 24–26 June 2009.
- Derriso, M.M., S.E. Olson, M.P. DeSimio, and D.M. Pratt, “Why Are There Few Fielded SHM Systems for Aerospace Structures?” 6th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford, California, 11–13 September 2007.
- Derriso, M.M., M.S. Leonard, M.P. DeSimio, and S.E. Olson, “Efficient Airframe Management using In-situ Structural Health Monitoring,” 6th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Dresden, Germany, 3–6 July 2012.
- Diamati, K., and C. Soutis, “Structural Health Monitoring Techniques for Aircraft Composite Structures,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 46, No. 8, 2010, pp. 342–352.
- DOD, MIL-HDBK-1823A, Department of Defense Handbook: Nondestructive Evaluation System Reliability Assessment, Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., 2009.
- Duke, J.C., Jr., “Structural Health Monitoring: Before and After Crack Birth,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 62, No. 1, 2004, pp. 53–55.
- Dyer, C.S., and P.R. Truscott, “Cosmic Radiation Effects on Avionics,” Microprocessors and Microsystems, Vol. 22, No. 8, 1999, pp. 477–483.
- Eckstein, B., C.-P. Fritzen, and M. Bach, “Considerations on the Reliability of Guided Ultrasonic Wave-based SHM Systems for CFRP Aerospace Structures,” 6th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Dresden, Germany, 3–6 July 2012.
- Esperon-Miguez, M., P. John, and I.K. Jennions, “A Review of Integrated Vehicle Health Management Tools for Legacy Platforms: Challenges and Opportunities,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 56, January 2013, pp. 19–34.
- Generazio, E.R., “Design of Experiments for Validating Probability of Detection Capability of NDT Systems and for Qualification of Inspectors,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 67, No. 6, 2009, pp. 730–738.
- Harding, C.A., G.R. Hugo, and S.J. Bowles, “Application of Model-assisted POD using a Transfer Function Approach,” Review of Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 28, 2009, pp. 1792–1799.
- Hayo, T., B. Frankenstein, C. Boller, and C. Bockenheimer, “Approach to the Technical Qualification of a SHM System in Terms of Damage Detection in Aerospace Industry,” Proceedings of NDT in Canada 2011, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2–4 November 2011.
- Horn, D., “Reliability Analysis Combining Multiple Inspection Techniques,” Proceedings of 2006 European Conference on NDT, Berlin, Germany, 25–29 September 2006.
- Janasak, K.M., and R.R. Beshears, “Diagnosis to Prognosis – A Product Availability Technology Evolution,” 2007 Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, Orlando, Florida, 22–25 January 2007.
- Kessler, S.S., E.B. Flynn, C.T. Dunn, and M.D. Todd, “A Structural Health Monitoring Software Tool for Optimization, Diagnostics and Prognostics,” 3rd Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 25–29 September 2011.
- Lee, S.J., N. Gandhi, J.E. Michaels, and T.E. Michaels, “Comparison of the Effects of Applied Loads and Temperature Variations on Guided Wave Propagation,” Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 30, 2011, pp. 175–182.
- Li, M., W.Q. Meeker, and P. Hovey, “Joint Estimation on NDE Inspection Capability and Flaw-size Distribution for Inservice Aircraft Inspections,” Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 23, No. 2, 2012, pp. 104–123.
- Lindgren, E.A., and D. Stargel, “USAF Perspective on Foundational Challenges for Enhanced Damage Sensing,” 6th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Dresden, Germany, 3–6 July 2012.
- Lopez, I., and N. Sarigul-Klijn, “A Review of Uncertainty in Flight Vehicle Structural Damage Monitoring, Diagnosis and Control: Challenges and Opportunities,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 46, No. 7, 2010, pp. 247–273.
- Madaras, E.I., W.H. Prosser, G. Studor, M.R. Gorman, and S.M. Ziola, “Structural Health Monitoring of the Space Shuttle’s Wing Leading Edge,” Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 25, 2006, pp. 1756–1763.
- Mandache, C., M. Khan, A. Fahr, and M. Yanishevsky, “Numerical Modelling as a Cost-reduction Tool for Probability of Detection of Bolt Hole Eddy Current Testing,” Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2011, pp. 57–66.
- Meyendorf, N., B. Frankenstein, D. Hentschel, and L. Schubert, “Acoustic Techniques for Structural Health Monitoring,” 4th Panamerican Conference on NDE, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 2007.
- Pado, L.E., J.B. Ihn, and J.P. Dunne, “Understanding Probability of Detection (POD) in Structure Health Monitoring Systems,” Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on SHM, 2013, pp. 2107–2114.
- Rummel, W.D., “Transfer of POD Performance Capabilities from Simple Shapes to Complex Shapes,” Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 18, 1999, pp. 2305–2310.
- Rummel, W.D., “Challenges to Nondestructive Testing Reliability,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 73, No. 1, 2015, pp. 39–42.
- Soejima, H., K. Takahashi, Y. Okabe, N. Takeda, and M. Yoshida, “Investigation of the Probability of Detection of our SHM System,” 6th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Dresden, Germany, 3–6 July 2012.
- Sohn, H., “Effects of Environmental and Operational Variability on Structural Health Monitoring,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol. 365, No. 1851, 2007, pp. 539–560.
- Stolz, C., and M. Neumair, “Structural Health Monitoring, In-service Experience, Benefit and Way Ahead,” Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2010, pp. 209–2017.
- Stolz, C., A. Haberl, and C. Meisner, “Influences on Reliability and Performance of AU Based SHM Systems, Requirements and Approach for Detection Performance Assessment,” 5th European-American Workshop on Reliability of NDE, Berlin, Germany, 7–10 October 2013.
- Wall, M., S. Burch, and J. Lilley, “Human Factors in POD Modelling and Use of Trial Data,” Insight, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2009, pp. 553–561.
206 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares