The Effect of Experiment Variables on Industrial X-ray Micro-computed Tomography Sensitivity
Publication: Publication Date: 1 December 2015Testing Method:
A study was performed on the effect of experimental variables on radiographic sensitivity (image quality) in X-ray micro-computed tomography images for a high-density thin wall metallic cylinder containing micro-electrical discharge machining holes. Image quality was evaluated in terms of signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) discontinuity
detectability, and feature sharpness. The variables included: day-to-day reproducibility, current, integration time, voltage, filtering, number of frame averages, number of projection views, beam width, effective object radius, binning, orientation of sample, acquisition angle range (180 to 360°), and directional versus transmission tube. This paper presents a tabular summary of the findings. In most, but not all cases, SNR, discontinuity detectability, and feature sharpness changed as expected/predicted with changing X-ray parameters.
- Abdul-Aziz, A., D.J. Roth, R. Cotton, G.F. Studor, E. Christiansen, and P.C. Young, “Composite Material Characterization using Microfocus X-ray Computed Tomography Image-based Finite Element Modeling,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 71, No. 2, 2013, pp. 167–174.
- ASNT, Nondestructive Testing Handbook, third edition: Vol. 4: Radiographic Testing, American Society for Nondestructive Testing, Columbus, Ohio, 2002, pp. 141–142, 313, 316–317, 328–338.
- Barret, H.H., and W. Swindell, Radiological Imaging: The Theory of Image Formation, Detection, and Processing, Vols. 1 and 2, Academic Press, New York, New York, 1981.
- DOD, MIL-HDBK-1823A, Department of Defense Handbook: Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) System, Reliability Assessment, Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., 7 April 2009.
- Feldkamp, L.A., L.C. Davis, and J.W. Kress, “Practical Cone-beam Algorithm,” Journal of the Optical Society of America, Vol. 1, No. 6, 1984, pp. 612–619.
- Howard, P., J. Portaz, J. Janning, P. Barthelemy, and F. Fauverte, “Testing Techniques for High Volume Production Applications,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 68, No. 4, 2010, pp. 400–406.
- Maire, E., and P.J. Withers, “Quantitative X-ray Tomography,” International Materials Reviews, Vol. 59, No. 1, 2014, pp. 1–43.
- Martin, R.E., D.J. Roth, and J. Salem, “Application of Advanced Nondestructive Evaluation Techniques for Cylindrical Composite Test Samples,” NASA/TM-2013-216612, 1 December 2013.
- Roth, D.J., R.W. Rauser, R.R. Bowman, R.E. Martin, A. Koshti, and D.S. Morgan, “The Critical Role Of High Resolution X-ray Micro-computed Tomography For Ultra-thin Wall Space Component Characterization,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 72, No. 3, 2014, pp. 383–391.
55 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares