Study of the Discontinuity Parameters due to Cold Work for 3005 Aluminum Alloy using Positron
Publication: Publication Date: 1 December 2015
Positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy
(PALS) was used to monitor discontinuities in
3005 aluminum alloy. The positron lifetime value
was found to be influenced by changes in the
concentration of discontinuities. PALS measurements
were used to study the behavior of the
discontinuity concentration for 3005 aluminum
alloy with deformations. Data were analyzed using
the PALSfit program. The mean lifetime and
trapping rates were studied for samples deformed
up to 40.30%. The concentrations of discontinuities
and dislocation densities were found to
increase as a function of the thickness reduction.
The behaviors of these parameters were matched
with theoretical calculations.
- Abdel-Rahman, M.A., A. Aldeen, and E.A. Badawi, “Positron Annihilation
and Micro-hardness Measurement of 6063 and 6066 with Compromise
with Ingot Al,” Defect and Diffusion Forum, Vols. 295–296, January 2010,
- Abdel-Rahman, M.A., and E.A. Badawi, “Positron Trapping Cross Section
and Trapping Efficiency in Plastically Deformed Magnesium,” Japanese
Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 35, No. 9A, 1996, pp. 4728–4735.
- Anderson, C.D., “The Apparent Existence of Easily Deflectable Positives,”
Science, Vol. 76, 9 September 1932, pp. 238–239.
- Avner, S.H., Introduction to Physical Metallurgy, second edition, McGraw-
Hill, New York, New York, 1974.
- Badawi, E.A., M.A. Abdel-Rahman, and S.A. Mahmoud, “Investigation of
Defects (Migration and Formation) in Metals by Positron Annihilation
Lifetime,” Applied Surface Science, Vol. 149, Nos. 1–4, August 1999,
- Baram, J., and M. Rosen, “Annihilation of Positrons in F.C.C. Cold-worked
Polycrystals,” Physica Status Solidi (A), Vol. 16, No. 1, 16 March 1973,
- Bergersen, B., and M.J. Stott, “The Effect of Vacancy Formation on the
Temperature Dependence of the Positron Lifetime,” Solid State
Communications, Vol. 7, No. 17, September 1969, pp. 1203–1205.
- Connors, D.C., and R.N. West, “Positron Annihilation and Defects in
Metals,” Physics Letters A, Vol. 30, No. 1, September 1969, pp. 24–25.
- Dauwe, C., M. Dorikens, L. Dorikens, and D. Segers, “Positron Lifetimes
and Lineshape Factors in Deformed Copper,” Applied Physics, Vol. 5,
No. 2, July 1974, pp. 117–120.
- Dirac, P.A.M., “The Quantum Theory of the Electron,” Proceedings of the
Royal Society of London, Vol. 117, No. 778, February 1928, pp. 610–624.
- Dubourg, L., H. Pelletier, D. Vaissiere, F. Hlawka, and A. Cornet, “Mechanical
Characterisation of Laser Surface Alloyed Aluminium-copper Systems,
Wear, Vol. 253, Nos. 9–10, 2002, pp. 1077–1085.
- Eldrup, M., J.V. Olsen, P. Kirkegaard, and N.J. Pedersen, “PALSfit,”
Technical University of Denmark, 3 June 2015, www.palsfit.dk.
- Falciglia, F., F.R. Lo Savio, M. Lo Savio, M.E. Oliveri, and F. Patané,
“Measure of the Speed of Gamma-rays as a Test of the Performance of a
Fast Timing Coincidence System,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in
Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated
Equipment, Vol. 355, Nos. 2–3, February 1995, pp. 537–540.
- Hautojarvi, P., “Positrons in Solids,” Topics in Current Physics, Vol. 12,
Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1979.
- Refaey, A.A., M.A. Abdel-Rahman, and E.A. Badawi, “Artificial Ageing
Effect on Mechanical, Electrical Properties and Positron Lifetime of
Aircraft 2024 Alloy,” Defect and Diffusion Forum, Vol. 329, July 2012,
70 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares