Overview of the Neutron Radiography and Computed Tomography at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Applications
Conference: Publication Date: 16 March 2015Testing Method: ,
Historically and for more than four decades, neutron imaging (NI) facilities have been installed exclusively at continuous (i.e. reactor-based) neutron sources rather than at pulsed sources. This is mainly due to (1) the limited number of accelerator-based facilities and therefore the fierce competition for beam lines with neutron scattering instruments, (2) the limited flux available at accelerator-based neutron sources and finally, (3) the lack of high efficiency imaging detector technology capable of time-stamping pulsed neutrons with sufficient time resolution. Recently completed high flux pulsed proton-driven neutron sources such as the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) and the Japanese Spallation Neutron Source (JSNS) of the Japan Proton Accelerator Research Complex (J-PARC) in Japan produce high neutron fluxes that offer new and unique opportunities for NI techniques. Pulsed-based neutron imaging facilities RADEN and IMAT are currently being built at J-PARC and the Rutherford National Laboratory in the U.K., respectively. ORNL Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) has installed a neutron imaging (NI) beam line at the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR) cold guide hall. The CG-1D beam line produces cold neutrons for a broad range of user research spanning from engineering to material research, additive manufacturing, vehicle technologies, archaeology, biology, and plant physiology. Recent efforts have focused on increasing flux and spatial resolution. A series of selected engineering applications is presented here. ORNL is also building a pulsed neutron imaging beam line called VENUS to respond to the U.S. based scientific community. A team composed of engineers, scientists and designers has developed a conceptual design of the future VENUS imaging instrument at the SNS.
- Anderson IS, McGreevy, Robert, Bilheux, Hassina Z. (Eds.): Neutron Imaging and Applications: A Reference for the Imaging Community. Springer 2009.
- Kardjilov N, Manke I, Hilger A, Strobl M, Banhart J: Neutron imaging in materials science. Materials Today 2011, 14(6):248-256.
- Kardjilov N, Hilger A, Manke I, Strobl M, Dawson M, Banhart J: New trends in neutron imaging. Nucl Instrum Meth A 2009, 605(1-2):13-15. 22
- Mukherjee PP, Mukundan R, Spendelow JS, Davey JR, Borup RL, Hussey DS, Jacobson DL, Arif M: High Resolution Neutron Imaging of Water in the Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Membrane. ECS Transactions 2009, 25(1):505-512.
- Lehmann EH, Kaestner A, Hartmann S: Progress and Visions in Future Neutron Imaging. Basic Research on Concrete and Applications 2011:35-46.
- Lehmann EH, Wagner W: Neutron imaging at PSI: a promising tool in materials science and technology. Appl Phys A 2010, 99(3):627-634.
- Schillinger B, Calzada E, Lorenz K: Modern neutron imaging: Radiography, tomography, dynamic and phase contrast imaging with neutrons. Sol St Phen 2006, 112:61-71.
- Toops TJ, Bilheux HZ, Voisin S, Gregor J, Walker L, Strzelec A, Finney CEA, Pihl JA: Neutron tomography of particulate filters: a non-destructive investigation tool for applied and industrial research. Nucl Instrum Meth A 2013, 729:581-588.
- Nanda J, Bilheux H, Voisin S, Veith GM, Archibald R, Walker L, Allu S, Dudney NJ, Pannala S: Anomalous Discharge Product Distribution in Lithium-Air Cathodes. J Phys Chem C 2012, 116(15):8401-8408.
- Crow L, Robertson L, Bilheux H, Fleenor M, Iverson E, Tong X, Stoica D, Lee WT: The CG1 instrument development test station at the high flux isotope reactor. Nucl Instrum Meth A 2011, 634:S71-S74.
- H. Z. Bilheux J-CB, W. B. Bailey, W. S. Keener, L. E. Davis, K. W. Herwig: Neutron Imaging at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory: Application to Biological Research. Biomedical Science and Engineering Center Conference (BSEC) 2014.
- Tremsin AS, Vallerga JV, McPhate JB, Siegmund OHW, Hull JS, Feller WB, Crow L, Cooper RG: High resolution neutron imaging at high counting rates with noiseless readout. 2007 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, Vols 1-11 2007:270-275.
- Tremsin AS, McPhate JB, Vallerga JV, Siegmund OHW, Feller WB, Lehmann E, Kaestner A, Boillat P, Panzner T, Filges U: Neutron radiography with sub-15 mu m resolution through event centroiding. Nucl Instrum Meth A 2012, 688:32-40.
- Tremsin AS, Vallerga JV, McPhate JB, Siegmund OHW, Raffanti R: High Resolution Photon Counting With MCP-Timepix Quad Parallel Readout Operating at > 1 KHz Frame Rates. IEEE T Nucl Sci 2013, 60(2):578-585.
- Kihm KD, Hight B, Kirchoff E, Yi H, Rosenfeld J, Rawal S, Hussey D, Jacobson D, Bilheux H, Walker L et al: Neutron Tomography of Lithium (Li) Coolant inside a Niobium (Nb) Heat Pipe. J Heat Trans-T Asme 2014, 136(8).
- Kirchoff E, Kihm KD, Rosenfeld J, Rawal S, Bilheux H, Walker L, Voisin S, Pratt D, Swanson A: Neutron Tomography of Lithium (Li) Menisci inside a Molybdenum (Mo) Heat Pipe. J Heat Trans-T Asme 2013, 135(8).
- K. Kihm, E. Kirchoff, M. Golden, J. Rosenfeld, S. Rawal, D. Pratt, A. Swanson, H. Bilheux, L. Walker, S. Voisin, D. Hussey: Neutron imaging of alkali metal heat pipes. Physics Procedia 2013, 43.
- Watkins T, Bilheux H, An K, Payzant A, Dehoff R, Duty C, Peter W, Blue C, Brice C: Neutron Characterization for Additive Manufacturing. Adv Mater Process 2013, 171(3):23-27.
- Kockelmann W, Frei G, Lehmann EH, Vontobel P, Santisteban JR: Energy-selective neutron transmission imaging at a pulsed source. Nucl Instrum Meth A 2007, 578(2):421-434.
- Kockelmann W, Santisteban JR, Vontobel P, Frei G, Lehmann EH: Energy-Selective Neutron Radiography at the Pulsed Spallation Source ISIS. Neutron Radiography 2008:217-226.
- Zhang SY, Godfrey E, Abbey B, Xu PG, Tomota Y, Liljedahl D, Zanellato O, Fitzpatrick M, Kelleher J, Siano S et al: Materials Structure and Strain Analysis Using Time-of-flight Neutron Diffraction. Lect Notes Eng Comp 2009:1412-1419.
- Santisteban JR: Time-of-flight neutron transmission of mosaic crystals. J Appl Crystallogr 2005, 38:934-944.
- Santisteban JR, Edwards L, Fizpatrick ME, Steuwer A, Withers PJ: Engineering applications of Braggedge neutron transmission. Appl Phys A 2002, 74:S1433-S1436.
- Santisteban JR, Edwards L, Steuwer A, Withers PJ: Time-of-flight neutron transmission diffraction. J Appl Crystallogr 2001, 34:289-297. 23
- Tremsin AS, McPhate JB, Vallerga JV, Siegmund OHW, Feller WB, Bilheux HZ, Molaison JJ, Tulk CA, Crow L, Cooper RG et al: Transmission Bragg edge spectroscopy measurements at ORNL Spallation Neutron Source. In: J Phys Conf Ser. vol. 251; 2010: 012069.
- Dehoff RR KM, Sames WJ, Bilheux H, Tremsin AS, Lowe LE, and Babu SS: Site specific control of crystallographic grain orientation through electron beam additive manufacturing. Materials Science and Technology 2015. DOI 10.1179/1743284714Y.0000000734
95 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares