Digital Detercor Array for Offshore Pipeline Radiographic Testing
Publication: Publication Date: 1 July 2015Testing Method:
Digital radiography in the inspection of welded pipe to be applied under deep water offshore gas and oil pipelines with thick materials has been tested using digital detector array (DDA) or flat panel detector is considered the best solution to replace industrial films, as well as to increase probability of detection, due to increased sensitivity and reduction of the inspection cycle, time among other factors that contribute to the decision making for the change from conventional to digital technique. This paper describes some results of this new technique, digital radiography, comparing it to radiography by industrial films. In this study, four test specimens of longitudinal pipe joints welded, specially prepared with artificial discontinuities like cracks, lack of fusion, lack of penetration, porosities and slag inclusion of varying dimensions and in two different base metal wall thicknesses, were tested and a comparison of the techniques was made. This study was focused on the main part of requirements of ISO 10893-7 2011 specification standard. This technique is in continuous development and a new DDA will be supplied, as an increase in demand is perceived.
- API, API 5L, Specification for Line Pipe, American Petroleum Institute, Washington, D.C., 2013.
- Bavendiek, K., U. Ewert, and U. Zscherpel, “Digital Detector Arrays (DDA),” International Workshop on Imaging NDE, Kalpakkam, India, 2007.
- BAM, “User Manual for the Measuring program IC.exe ‘ISee!’,” version 1.7, BAM 8.3, BAM Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing, Berlin, Germany, 2007.
- Bavendiek, K., F. Herold, and R. Grigat, “A New Analysis and Classification Method for Automatic Defect Recognition in X-ray Images of Castings,” Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Nondestructive Testing, Barcelona, Spain, 17–21 June 2002.
- Bavendiek, K., U. Heike, W.D. Meade, U. Ewert, and U. Zscherpel, “New Digital Radiography Procedure Exceeds Film Sensitivity Considerably in Aerospace Applications,” Proceedings of the European Conference on Nondestructive Testing, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- Blakeley, B., and K.S. Spartiotis, “Digital Radiography for the Inspection of Small Defects,” Proceedings of the European Conference on Nondestructive Testing, Berlin, Germany, 2006 DNV, DNV-OS-F101, Submarine Pipeline Systems, DNV GL, Hovik, Norway, 2007.
- Ewert, U., U. Zscherpel, C. Bellon, G.R. Jaenish, J. Beckmann, and M. Jechow, “Flaw Size Dependent Contrast Reduction and Additional Unsharpness by Scattered Radiation in Radiography – Film and Digital Detectors in Comparison,” 17th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing, Shanghai, China, 25–28 October 2008.
- ISO, ISO 3183, Petroleum and natural gas industries – Steel Pipes for Pipeline Transportation Systems, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- ISO, ISO 9712, Non-destructive Testing – Qualification and Certification of Personnel, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2005.
- ISO, ISO 10893-7, Non-destructive Testing of Steel Tubes – Part 7: Digital Radiographic Testing of the Weld Seam of Welded Steel Tubes for the Detection of Imperfections, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- ISO, ISO 12096, Submerged Arc-welded Steel Tubes for Pressure Purposes – Radiographic Testing of the Weld Seam for the Detection of Imperfections, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1996.
- Moreira, E., M.C. Fritz, H.R. Simões, J.M.B. Rabello, and J.R. Camargo, “Flat-panel Detectors are Accepted for Digital Radiography in Place of Conventional Radiography in Pipeline Weld Inspection,” 4th Pan-American Conference on NDT, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2007.
- Moreira, E., “Aplicação da Radiografia Digital Utilizando Detectores Planos para a Inspeção de Soldas de Gasodutos e Oleodutos,” 114 f., master’s dissertation, University of Taubaté, Taubaté, Brazil, 2007.
- Moreira, E., R. Lopes, M. Pereira, J.M.B. Rabello, U. Zscherpel, and D. Oliveira, “Estágio Atual da Aplicação da Radiografia Digital em Soldas de Tubos de Gasodutos e Oleodutos,” 10th Conference on Equipment Technology, Salvador, Brazil, 2009.
90 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares