NDE of Adhesively Bonded CFRP-Aluminum Lap Joints Using Acoustography
Conference: Publication Date: 16 March 2015Testing Method:
This paper examines the application of through-transmission ultrasonic (TTU) Acoustography NDE to detect and quantify the bondline defects in adhesively bonded carbon fiber reinforced plastics-Aluminum (CFRP-Al) lap joints. The bondline defects in CFRP-Al lap joints were simulated by introducing a xylene based degreaser on the bonding surface of 2024-T3 Aluminum by percentage surface area. The percentage surface area contaminated ranged from 25% to 75%. The TTU Acoustography method, operating at 5 MHz, was able to detect the surface contaminant in the bondline. The in-plane tensile test result for the sample with and without contamination showed an interesting phenomena, i.e. higher levels of surface contamination failed at higher loads compared to baseline noncontaminated sample.
- Pocius, A. V., Dillard, D. A., and Chaudhury, M. K., 2002, Adhesion Science and Engineering-I, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Jeenjitkaew, C., Luklinska, Z., and Guild, F., 2010, "Morphology and Surface Chemistry of Kissing Bonds in Adhesive Joints Produced by Surface Contamination," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 30(7), pp. 643-653.
- Marty, P. N., Desai, N., and Anderson, J., "NDT of Kissing Bond in Aeronautical Structures," Proc. 16th WCNDT 2004, www.ndt.net.
- Waugh, R. C., Dulieu-Barton, J. M., and Quinn, S., 2011, "Pulse Phase Thermography and its Application to Kissing Defects in Adhesively Bonded Joints," Advances in Experimental Mechanics Viii, 70, pp. 369-374.
- Seelenbinder, J., 2011, "Detection of trace contamination on metal surfaces using the handheld Agilent 4100 ExoScan FTIR," Agilent Technologies, Connecticut.
- Bossi, R. H., and Nerenberg, R. L., 2000, "Quality Assurance for Composite Bonding," Bridging the Centuries with Sampe's Materials and Processes Technology, Vol 45, Books 1 and 2, pp. 1787-1799.
- Nagy, P. B., 1991, "Ultrasonic Detection of Kissing bonds at Adhesive Interfaces," Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, 5(8), pp. 619-630.
- Brotherhood, C. J., Drinkwater, B. W., and Guild, F. J., 2002, "The Effect of Compressive Loading on The Ultrasonic Detectability of Kissing Bonds in Adhesive Joints," Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 21(3), pp. 95-104.
- Kundu, T., Maji, A., Ghosh, T., and Maslov, K., 1998, "Detection of Kissing Bonds by Lamb Waves," Ultrasonics, 35(8), pp. 573-580.
- Bossi, R., Housen, K., and Shepherd, W., 2002, "Using Shock Loads to Measure Bonded Joint Strength," Materials Evaluation, 60(11), pp. 1333-1338.
- Bossi, R., Housen, K., Walters, C. T., and Sokol, D., 2009, "Laser Bond Testing," Materials Evaluation, 67(7), pp. 819-827.
- Michaloudaki, M., Lehmann, E., and Kosteas, D., 2005, "Neutron Imaging as a Tool for the Non-destructive Evaluation of Adhesive Joints in Aluminium," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 25(3), pp. 257-267.
- Heslehurst, R. B., 1999, "Observations in the structural response of adhesive bondline defects," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 19(2-3), pp. 133-154.
- Sandhu, J. S., Wang, H. H., Popek, W., and Sincebaugh, P. J., "Acoustography: It Could Be A Practical Ultrasonic NDE Tool For Composites," Proc. Proceedings for the Conference on Nondestructive Evaluation of Aging Materials and Composites IV, pp. 129-134.
- Sandhu, J. S., Wang, H. H., Popek, W. J., and Sincebaugh, P. J., "Development of Acoustography for NDE of Aging Structures," Proc. Proceedings for the Conference on Advanced Nondestructive Evaluation for Structural and Biological Health Monitoring, pp. 95-99.
- Sandu, J. S., "Acoustography: A New Imaging Technique and its Application to Nondestructive Evaluation," Proc. Materials Evaluation. 7
- International, A., 1995, "ASTM D2651-90, Standard Guide for Preparation of Metal Surfaces for Adhesive Bonding," www.astm.org, West Conshohocken.
- Vaillancourt, A., and Abele, T., 2010, "Ashesive Technology: Surface Preparation Techniques on Aluminum," Worcester Polytechnical Institute, Worcester.
- ASTM D5868 - 01, "Standard Test Method for Lap Shear Adhesion for Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Bonding," 2014, www.astm.org, West Conshohocken, PA.
91 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares