Investigation of Dynamic Properties of a Novel Capacitive-based Sensing Skin for Nondestructive Testing
Publication: Publication Date: 1 October 2015
A capacitive-based soft elastomeric strain sensor was recently developed by the authors for structural health monitoring applications. Arranged in a network configuration, the sensor becomes a sensing skin, where local deformations can be monitored over a global area. The sensor transduces a change in geometry into a measurable change in capacitance, which can be converted into strain using a previously developed electromechanical model. Prior studies have demonstrated limitations of this electromechanical model for dynamic excitations beyond 15 Hz, because of a loss in linearity in the sensor’s response. In this paper, the dynamic behavior beyond 15 Hz is further studied, and a new version of the electromechanical model is proposed to accommodate dynamic strain measurements up to 40 Hz. This behavior is characterized by subjecting the sensor to a frequency sweep and identifying possible sources of nonlinearities beyond 15 Hz. Results show possible frequency dependence of the materials’ Poisson’s ratios, which are successfully modeled and integrated into the electromechanical model. This demonstrates that the proposed sensor can be used for monitoring and evaluation of structural responses up to 40 Hz, a range covering the vast majority of the dominating frequency responses of civil infrastructures.
- Arshak, K.I., D. McDonagh, and M.A. Durcan, “Development of New Capacitive Strain Sensors Based on Thick Film Polymer and Cermet Technologies,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 79, No. 2, 2000, pp. 102–114.
- Dobrzynska, J.A., and M.A.M. Gijs, “Polymer-based Flexible Capacitive Sensor for Three-axial Force Measurements,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2013.
- Farrar, C.R., and N.A. Lieven, “Damage Prognosis: The Future of Structural Health Monitoring,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical, and Engineering Sciences, Vol. 365, 2007, pp. 879–885.
- Fröhlich, J., W. Niedermeier, and H.-D. Luginsland, “The Effect of Fillerfiller and Filler-elastomer Interaction on Rubber Reinforcement,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 36, No. 4, 2005, pp. 449–460.
- Harms, T., S. Sedigh, and F. Bastianini, “Structural Health Monitoring of Bridges using Wireless Sensor Networks,” Instrumentation & Measurement, Vol. 13, No. 6, 2010, pp. 14–18.
- Hong, H.P., K.H. Jung, N.K. Min, Y.H. Rhee, and C.W. Park, “A Highly Fast Capacitive-type Humidity Sensor using Percolating Carbon Nanotube Films as a Porous Electrode Material, 2012 IEEE Sensors, 2012, pp. 1–4.
- Hu, Y., W.S. Rieutort-Louis, J. Sanz-Robinson, L. Huang, B. Glisic, J.C. Sturm, S. Wagner, and N. Verma, “Large-scale Sensing System Combining Large-area Electronics and CMOS ICs for Structural-health Monitoring,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 49, No. 2, 2014, pp. 513–523.
- Kang, I., M.J. Schulz, J.H. Kim, V. Shanov, and D. Shi, “A Carbon Nanotube Strain Sensor for Structural Health Monitoring,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2006.
- Kollosche, M., H. Stoyanov, S. Laflamme, and G. Kofod, “Strongly Enhanced Sensitivity in Elastic Capacitive Strain Sensors,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 21, No. 23, 2011, pp. 8292–8294.
- Kharroub, S., S. Laflamme, C. Song, D. Qiao, B. Phares, and J. Li, “Smart Sensing Skin for Detection and Localization of Fatigue Cracks,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 24, No. 6, 2015.
- Kugler, H.P., R.G. Stacer, and C. Steimle, “Direct Measurement of Poisson’s Ratio in Elastomers,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1990, pp. 473–487.
- Laflamme, S., F. Ubertini, H. Saleem, A. D’Alessandro, A. Downey, H. Ceylan, and A.L. Materazzi, “Dynamic Characterization of a Soft Elastomeric Capacitor for Structural Health Monitoring,” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 141, No. 8, 2015.
- Laflamme, L., M. Kollosche, J.J. Connor, and G. Kofod, “Robust Flexible Capacitive Surface Sensor for Structural Health Monitoring Applications,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 139, No. 7, 2013a, pp. 879–885.
- Laflamme, S., H. Saleem, B. Vasan, R. Geiger, D. Chen, M. Kessler, and K. Rajan, “Soft Elastomeric Capacitor Network for Strain Sensing over Large Surfaces,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 18, No. 6, 2013b, pp. 1647–1654.
- Lipomi, D.J., M. Vosgueritchian, B.C.K. Tee, S.L. Hellstrom, J.A. Lee, C.H. Fox, and Z. Bao, “Skin-like Pressure and Strain Sensors Based on Transparent Elastic Films of Carbon Nanotubes,” Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 6, No. 12, 2011, pp. 788–792.
- Loh, K.J., T.-C. Hou, J.P. Lynch, and N.A. Kotov, “Carbon Nanotube Sensing Skins for Spatial Strain and Impact Damage Identification,” Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 28, No. 1, 2009, pp. 9–25.
- Pritz, T., “The Poisson’s Loss Factor of Solid Viscoelastic Materials,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 306, Nos. 3–5, 2007, pp. 790–802.
- Srivastava, R.K., V.S.M. Vemuru, Y. Zeng, R. Vajtai, S. Nagarajaiah, P.M. Ajayan, and A. Srivastava, “The Strain Sensing and Thermal-mechanical Behavior of Flexible Multi-walled Carbon Nanotube/Polystyrene Composite Films,” Carbon, Vol. 49, No. 12, 2011, pp. 3928–3936.
- Stoyanov, H., M. Kollosche, D.N. McCarthy, and G. Kofod, “Molecular Composites with Enhanced Energy Density for Electroactive Polymers,” Journal of Material Chemistry, Vol. 20, 2010, pp. 7558–7564.
- Suster, M., J. Guo, N. Chaimanonart, W. Ko, and D. Young, “A Highperformance MEMS Capacitive Strain Sensing System,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 15, No. 5, 2006, pp. 1069–1077.
- Tschoegl, N., W. Knauss, and I. Emri, “Poisson’s Ratio in Linear Viscoelasticity—A Critical Review,” Mechanics of Time-Dependent Materials, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2002, pp. 3–51.
- Tung, S., Y. Yao, and B. Glisic, “Sensing Sheet: The Sensitivity of Thin-film Full-bridge Strain Sensors for Crack Detection and Characterization,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 7, 2014.
- Ubertini, F., S. Laflamme, H. Ceylan, A.L. Materazzi, G. Cerni, H. Saleem, A. D’Alessandro, and A. Corradini, “Novel Nanocomposite Technologies for Dynamic Monitoring of Structures: A Comparison Between Cementbased Embeddable and Soft Elastomeric Surface Sensors,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2014.
- Wada, Y., R. Ito, and H. Ochiai, “Comparison Between Mechanical Relaxations Associated with Volume and Shear Deformations in Styrene-butadiene Rubber,” Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, Vol. 17, No. 1, 1962, pp. 213–218.
- Wilkinson, A., M. Clemens, and V. Harding, “The Effects of SEBS-g-maleic Anhydride Reaction on the Morphology and Properties of Polypropylene/PA6/SEBS Ternary Blends,” Polymer, Vol. 45, No. 15, 2004, pp. 5239–5249.
- Wu, J., C. Song, H.S. Saleem, A. Downey, and S. Laflamme, “Network of Flexible Capacitive Strain Gauges for the Reconstruction of Surface Strain", Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 26, No. 5, 2015.
121 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares