Bonding Piezoelectric Wafers for Application in Structural Health Monitoring Adhesive Selection
Publication: Publication Date: 1 February 2015Testing Method: ,
Piezoelectric (PZT) wafers are widely applied in the field of Structural Health Monitoring (SHM), and a common practice is to permanently attach them to the inspected structure using different types of adhesive systems. The effect of five adhesive systems on the excitation of guided waves, in particular on the fundamental antisymmetric A0 and symmetric S0 Lamb wave modes are experimentally assessed. The curing progress of the adhesive systems at room temperature was monitored and the effect on signal magnitude is characterized. In addition, the effect of the adhesive on the waveform and the propagation velocity of the transmitted wave signals are investigated. The bondline thickness and the shear modulus of the adhesive system selected is considered in order to increase the magnitude of the excited wave signals.
- S. Bhalla and C. K. Soh. Electromechanical impedance modeling for adhesively bonded piezotransducers. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 15(12):955–972 (2004).
- A. Cuc, V. Giurgiutiu, S. Joshi, and Z. Tidwell. Structural health monitoring with piezoelectric wafer active sensors for space applications. AIAA Journal 45(12):2838–2850 (2007).
- K. Diamanti, C. Soutis, and J. M. Hodgkinson. Lamb waves for the non-destructive inspection of monolithic and sandwich composite beams. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 36(2):189–195 (2005). 42 S. MUSTAPHA AND L. YE
- V. Giurgiutiu. Tuned Lamb wave excitation and detection with piezoelectric wafer active sensors for structural health monitoring. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 16(4):291–305 (2005).
- S. Ha and F.-K. Chang. Adhesive interface layer effects in PZT-induced Lamb wave propagation. Smart Materials and Structures 19(2):025006 (2010).
- Henkel. Loctite EA 9396. Available at: http://www.henkelna.com/product-search-1554.htm? nodeid=8797801152513 (Accessed January 3, 2015).
- Locite. Loctite Super Glue ULTRA Gel Control. Available at: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_ug_ cntrl/overview/Loctite-Super-Glue-ULTRA-Gel-Control.htm (Accessed January 3, 2015).
- T. Monnier. Lamb waves-based impact damage monitoring of a stiffened aircraft panel using piezoelectric transducers. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 17(5):411–421 (2006).
- S. Mustapha, L. Ye, D. Wang, and Y. Lu. Assessment of debonding in sandwich CF/EP composite beams using A0 Lamb wave at low frequency. Composite Structures 93(2):483–491 (2011).
- X. P. Qing, H.-L. Chan, S. J. Beard, T. K. Ooi, and Stephen A. Marotta. Effect of adhesive on the performance of piezoelectric elements used to monitor structural health. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 26(8):622–628 (2006).
- O. Rabinovitch and J. R. Vinson. Adhesive layer effects in surface-mounted piezoelectric actuators. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 13(11):689–704 (2002).
- Selleys. Selleys Araldite 5 minute. Available at: http://www.selleys.com.au/adhesives/householdadhesive/ araldite/five-minute-everyday/ (Accessed January 3, 2015).
- Selleys. Selleys Araldite super strength. Available at: http://www.selleys.com.au/adhesives/householdadhesive/ araldite/super-strength/ (Accessed January 3, 2015).
- S. K. Seth, S. M. Spearing, and S. Constantinos. Damage detection in composite materials using Lamb wave methods. Smart Materials and Structures 11(2):269–278 (2002).
- Z. Su and L. Ye. Fundamental Lamb mode-based delamination detection for CF/EP composite laminates using distributed piezoelectrics. Structural Health Monitoring 3(1):43–68 (2004).
- Z. Su and L. Ye. Lamb wave-based quantitative identification of delamination in cf/ep composite structures using artificial neural algorithm. Composite Structures 66(1–4):627–637 (2004).
- Z. Su, L. Ye., X. B., X. Wang, and Y.-W. Mai. Quantitative assessment of damage in a structural beam based on wave propagation by impact excitation. Structural Health Monitoring 2(1):27–40 (2003).
- Uninwell. Breakover-quick: Silver adhesive statement. Available at: http://www.uninwell.com (Accessed January 3, 2015).
- C. Valle and J.W. Littles Jr. Flaw localization using the reassigned spectrogram on laser-generated and detected lamb modes. Ultrasonics 39(8):535–542 (2002).
- B. Whittingham, H. C. H. Li, I. Herszberg, and W. K. Chiu. Disbond detection in adhesively bonded composite structures using vibration signatures. Composite Structures 75(1−4):351–363 (2006).
- Y. G. Xu and G. R. Liu. A modified electro-mechanical impedance model of piezoelectric actuatorsensors for debonding detection of composite patches. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 13(6):389–396 (2002).
36 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares