Bond Strength Evaluation of Composite Joints Using DIC
Conference: Publication Date: 16 March 2015
This paper presents the use of digital image correlation (DIC) technique to investigate the effects of silicone contamination on the bondline of adhesively bonded carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) laminates to aluminum (Al) lap shear test coupons. For this, several CFRP-Al lap shear joint specimens of variable bond strength were prepared by varying the level of silicone contamination on the bondline. Following this, samples with and without silicone contamination were loaded on the tensile testing machine and series of digital images were recorded at several time intervals until failure. The failure load was used to calculate the bond strength of the specimen. The results obtained from this research were useful in analyzing bondline mechanical properties and as well as finding the location of contamination in the bondline at the initial stage of load application. From the results demonstrated, DIC method can be an accurate and easy to implement NDE tool for the assessment of adhesive joints.
- Poudel, A., Li, S., Chu, T. P., Palmer, D., and Engelbart, R., "An intelligent Systems Approach for Detecting Delamination Defects due to Impact Damage in CFRP Panel by Using Ultrasonic Testing," Proc. ASNT Fall Conference, ASNT.
- Poudel, A., Strycek, J., and Chu, T. P., 2013, "Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Testing of Carbon/Carbon Composite Aircraft Brake Disks," Materials Evaluation, 71(8), pp. 987-994.
- Vijaya Kumar, R. L., Bhat, M. R., and Murthy, C. R. L., 2013, "Evaluation of kissing bond in composite adhesive lap joints using digital image correlation: Preliminary studies," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 42(0), pp. 60-68.
- Ecault, R., Touchard, F., Boustie, M., Berthe, L., Bockenheimer, C., and Valeske, B., 2014, "Development of a laser shock adhesion test for the assessment of weak adhesive bonded CFRP structures."
- Jeenjitkaew, C., Luklinska, Z., and Guild, F., 2010, "Morphology and Surface Chemistry of Kissing Bonds in Adhesive Joints Produced by Surface Contamination," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 30(7), pp. 643-653.
- Marty, P. N., Desai, N., and Anderson, J., "NDT of Kissing Bond in Aeronautical Structures," Proc. 16th WCNDT 2004, www.ndt.net.
- Waugh, R. C., Dulieu-Barton, J. M., and Quinn, S., 2011, "Pulse Phase Thermography and its Application to Kissing Defects in Adhesively Bonded Joints," Advances in Experimental Mechanics Viii, 70, pp. 369-374.
- Seelenbinder, J., 2011, "Detection of trace contamination on metal surfaces using the handheld Agilent 4100 ExoScan FTIR," Agilent Technologies, Connecticut.
- Bossi, R. H., and Nerenberg, R. L., 2000, "Quality Assurance for Composite Bonding," Bridging the Centuries with Sampe's Materials and Processes Technology, Vol 45, Books 1 and 2, pp. 1787-1799.
- Petrie, E. M., 2013, "Addressing Silicone Contamination Issues," Metal Finishing, 111(4), pp. 27-29.
- Anderson, G., Stanley, S., Young, G., Brown, R., Evans, K., and Wurth, L., 2010, "The effects of silicone contamination on bond performance of various bond systems," The journal of Adhesion, 86(12), pp. 1159- 1177.
- Meyer, J., Smith, C. A., and Palm Bay, F., "Effect of Silicone Contamination on Assembly Processes."
- Nagy, P. B., 1991, "Ultrasonic Detection of Kissing bonds at Adhesive Interfaces," Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, 5(8), pp. 619-630.
- Brotherhood, C. J., Drinkwater, B. W., and Guild, F. J., 2002, "The Effect of Compressive Loading on The Ultrasonic Detectability of Kissing Bonds in Adhesive Joints," Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 21(3), pp. 95-104.
- Kundu, T., Maji, A., Ghosh, T., and Maslov, K., 1998, "Detection of Kissing Bonds by Lamb Waves," Ultrasonics, 35(8), pp. 573-580.
- Bossi, R., Housen, K., and Shepherd, W., 2002, "Using Shock Loads to Measure Bonded Joint Strength," Materials Evaluation, 60(11), pp. 1333-1338.
- Bossi, R., Housen, K., Walters, C. T., and Sokol, D., 2009, "Laser Bond Testing," Materials Evaluation, 67(7), pp. 819-827. 126.
- Michaloudaki, M., Lehmann, E., and Kosteas, D., 2005, "Neutron Imaging as a Tool for the Non-destructive Evaluation of Adhesive Joints in Aluminium," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 25(3), pp. 257-267.
- Heslehurst, R. B., 1999, "Observations in the structural response of adhesive bondline defects," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 19(2-3), pp. 133-154.
- 2007, "Physical Approach of Adhesion Test Using Laser Driven Shock Waves," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 40(10), p. 3155.
- 2011, "Adhesive bond testing of carbon-epoxy composite by laser shock wave," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 44(3), p. 034012.
- ASTM D5868 - 01, "Standard Test Method for Lap Shear Adhesion for Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Bonding,"2014, www.astm.org, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Chu, T. C., Ranson, W. F., Sutton, M. A., and Peters, W. H., 1985, "Applications of Digital Image Correlation Techniques to Experimental Mechanics," Experimental Mechanics, 25(3), pp. 232-244.
- Sutton, M. A., Cheng, M. Q., Peters, W. H., Chao, Y. J., and McNeill, S. R., 1986, "Application of an Optimized Digital Correlation Method to Planar Deformation Analysis," Image and Vision Computing, 4(3), pp. 143-150.
- Adapa, S., Chu, T. P., Schneider, J. A., and Asme, 2005, Evaluation of Friction Stir Welds.
- Pradhan, S., Chu, T. C., and Asme, 2005, Tensile Test Apparatus for Micro-Scale Specimens on Scanning Electron Microscope Using Sub-Pixel Digital Image Correlation.
- Mahajan, A., Pilch, A., Chu, T. C., Aacc, and Aacc, A., 2000, "Intelligent Image Correlation Using Genetic Algorithms for Measuring Surface Deformations in The Autonomous Inspection of Structures," Proceedings of the 2000 American Control Conference, Vols 1-6, pp. 460-461.
- Pilch, A., Mahajan, A., and Chu, T., 2004, "Measurement of Whole-Field Surface Displacements and Strain Using a Genetic Algorithm Based Intelligent Image Correlation Method," Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control-Transactions of the Asme, 126(3), pp. 479-488.
- Chu, T., Mahajan, A., and Liu, C. T., 2002, "An Economical Vision-Based Method to Obtain Whole-Field Deformation Profiles," Experimental Techniques, 26(6), pp. 25-28.
- Kahnjetter, Z. L., and Chu, T. C., 1990, "3-Dimensional Displacement Measurements Using Digital Image Correlation and Photogrammic Analysis," Experimental Mechanics, 30(1), pp. 10-16.
- Peters, W. H., Ranson, W. F., Sutton, M. A., Chu, T. C., and Anderson, J., 1983, "Application of Digital Correlation Methods to rigid Body Mechanics," Optical Engineering, 22(6), pp. 738-742.
- Perng-Fei, L., Chao, Y. J., and Sutton, M. A., 1994, "Application of Stereo Vision to Three-Dimensional Deformation Analyses in Fracture Experiments," Optical Engineering, 33(3), pp. 981-990.
- Luo, P. F., Chao, Y. J., Sutton, M. A., and Peters, W. H., 1993, "Accurate Measurement of 3-Dimensional Deformations in Deformable and Rigid Bodies Using Computer Vision," Experimental Mechanics, 33(2), pp. 123-132.
- Sutton, M. A., McNeill, S. R., Helm, J. D., and Chao, Y. J., 2000, "Advances in Two-Dimensional and Three- Dimensional Computer Vision," Photo-Mechanics, 77, pp. 323-372.
- Ma, S. P., and Jin, G. C., 2003, "Digital Speckle Correlation Method Improved by Genetic Algorithm," Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 16(4), pp. 366-373.
- Pan, B., 2011, "Recent Progress in Digital Image Correlation," Experimental Mechanics, 51(7), pp. 1223- 1235.
- Roux, S., Rethore, J., and Hild, F., 2008, "Recent Progress in Digital Image Correlation: From Measurement to Mechanical Identification," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 135, pp. 012002 (012009 pp.)-012002 (012009 pp.).
- Tao, H., Huimin, X., Wang, S., Zhenxing, H., Pengwan, C., and Qingming, Z., 2011, "Evaluation of The Quality of a Speckle Pattern in The Digital Image Correlation Method by Mean Subset Fluctuation," Optics and Laser Technology, 43(1), pp. 9-13.
- Pierron, F., Sutton, M. A., and Tiwari, V., 2011, "Ultra High Speed DIC and Virtual Fields Method Analysis of a Three Point Bending Impact Test on an Aluminium Bar," Experimental Mechanics, 51(4), pp. 537-563.
- ASTM D2651-90, "Standard Guide for Preparation of Metal Surfaces for Adhesive Bonding," 1995, www.astm.org, West Conshohocken.
78 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares