This article investigates the nondestructive capability of ultrasonic waves in residual stress
evaluation of austenitic stainless steel plates (AISI 304L). Longitudinal critically refracted
(LCR) waves are employed to measure the residual stresses. Measuring the acoustoelastic
constant through the tensile test is eliminated on the main investigated sample to keep it
intact. Another welded plate with the same welding specification, geometry, thickness,
and the same material is used to extract tensile test samples. To find the acoustoelastic constant
of the heat affected zone (HAZ), a metallographic investigation is done to produce
microstructure similar to that of the HAZ in a tensile test sample. A finite element model
of welding process, which is validated by hole-drilling method, is used to verify the ultrasonic
results. The results show good agreement between finite element and ultrasonic stress
measurements which is accomplished nondestructively.
Keywords: acoustoelastic constant, finite element welding simulation,
1. D. M. Egle and D. E. Bray. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 60: 741–744 (1976).
2. E. Tanala, G. Bourse, M. Fremiot, and J. F. De Belleval. NDT&E International 28: 83–88 (1995).
3. H. Walaszek, J. Hoblos, P. Bouteille, G. Bourse, and C. Robin. Proc. ECNDT, Berlin, Germany,
4. H. Lu, X. S. Liu, J. G. Yang, S. P. Zhang, and H. Y. Fang. Science and Technology of Welding and
Joining 13: 70–74 (2008).
5. P. Palanichamy, M. Vasudevan, and T. Jayakumar. Science and Technology of Welding and Joining
14: 166–171 (2009).
6. H. Qozam, S. Chaki, G. Bourse, C. Robin, and H. Walaszek. Experimental Mechanics 50: 179–185
7. J. Goldak and M. Bibby. Modeling of Casting and Welding Processes 4: 153–166 (1988).
8. D. Yan, A. Wu, J. Silvanus, and Q. Shi. J. Materials and Design 32: 2284–2291 (2011).
9. I. Sattari-Far and Y. Javadi. Int. J. Pressure Vessels and Piping 85: 265–274 (2008).
10. J. Goldak and M. Akhlaghi. Computational Welding Mechanics. Springer, New York (2005).
11. X. K. Zhu and Y. J. Chao. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 146: 263–272 (2004).
12. L. E. Lindgren. J. Thermal Stress 24: 141–192 (2001).
13. D. Deng and H. Murakawa. Computational Materials Science 37: 269–277 (2006).
14. Y. Javadi, M. Akhlaghi, and M. A. Najafabadi. Materials and Design 45: 628–642 (2013).
15. Y. Javadi and M. A. Najafabadi. Materials and Design 47: 473–482 (2013).
16. Y. Javadi, H. S. Pirzaman, M. H. Raeisi, and M. A. Najafabadi. Materials and Design 49: 591–601
17. Y. Javadi, M. A. Najafabadi, and M. Akhlaghi. Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing 9: 541–552