Nondestructive evaluation of plasters on historical thin vaults by scanning laser Doppler
vibrometers was attempted in this article. The aim was to investigate the state of conservation
of historical plasters hanged from thin light vaults made by plaster and reeds that often
carried on their lower surface frescoes and stuccos of high historical, artistic, and architectural
value. Scanning Laser Doppler Vibrometry (SLDV) could represent an effective support
for the diagnostic process of these construction system. In particular, the first results underline
that processing the data so as to estimate the so-called Operational Deflection Shapes
(ODS) does not seem to be helpful as a damage indicator; on the contrary modal analysis
seems to be effective in localizing damages present in the specimen.
1. V. Bosiljkov, M. Uranjek, R. Zarnic, and V. Bokan-Bosiljkova. J. Cult. Heritage 11:239–249 (2010).
2. B. Ferrer, J. Espinosa, J. Perez, S. Ivorra, and D. Mas. Res. Nondestruct. Eval. 22:61–75 (2011).
3. R. Maev, R. Green, Jr., and A. Siddiolo. Res. Nondestruct. Eval. 17:191 (2006).
4. M. Pieraccini, L. Noferini, D. Mecatti, G. Luzi, C. Atzeni, R. Persico, and F. Soldovieri. Res.
Nondestruct. Eval. 17:71–83 (2006).
5. V. Tornari, E. Tsiranidou, and E. Bernikola. Appl. Phys. A-Mater. Sci. Process. 106:397–410 (2012).
6. P. Castellini, G. M. Revel, E. P. Tomasini. The Shock and Vibration Digest 30:443–456 (1998).
7. P. Castellini, E. Esposito, V. Legoux, N. Paone, M. Stefanaggi, and E. P. Tomasini. J. Cult. Heritage
8. P. Castellini, E. Esposito, B. Marchetti, N. Paone, and E. P. Tomasini. J. Cult. Heritage 4:321–329
234 M. MARTARELLI ET AL.
9. P. Castellini, E. Esposito, N. Paone, and E. P. Tomasini. Measurement 28:33–45 (2000).
10. J. F. Vignola, J. A. Bucaro, B. R. Lemon, G. W. Adams, A. J. Kurdila, B. Marchetti, E. Esposito, E. P.
Tomasini, H. J. Simpson, and B. H. Houston. J. Preservation Technology 36:25–33 (2005).
11. B. R. Ellis. Proc. Instn. Civ. Engrs. Structs. and Bldgs. 128:300–307 (1998).
12. E. Esposito, S. Copparoni, and B. Naticchia. Proceedings of WCNDT 2004, 16th World Conference
on NDT, Canadian Institute for NDE, Hamilton Canada (2004) Available at http://www.ndt.net/article/
wcndt2004/pdf/civil_structures/713_espositio.pdf. Accessed July 2014.
13. E. Quagliarini, E. Esposito, and A. Del Conte. J. Cult. Heritage 2:122–128 (2012).
14. E. Quagliarini, M. D’Orazio, and A. Stazi. J. Cult. Heritage 7:13–22 (2006).
15. E. Quagliarini and M. D’Orazio. J. Cult. Heritage 4:320–336 (2010).
16. E. Quagliarini, M. D’Orazio, and A. Stazi. Proceedings of SAHC2004, Structural Analysis of Historical
Constructions: Possibilities of Experimental and Numerical Techniques. A. A. Balkema Publishers
(Eds.), London, Vol. 2, 883–889 (2004).
17. P. Castellini, M. Martarelli, and E. P. Tomasini. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing
18. L. E. Drain. The Laser Doppler Technique. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York (1980).
19. Polytec GmbH. Vibration Sensors. Available at http://www.polytec.com/eu/products/vibrationsensors/.
Accessed July 17, 2014.
20. E. Esposito, P. Castellini, N. Paone, and E. P. Tomasini. Proceedings of LACONA V, pp. 137–139,
Osnabrueck (D), September 15—18, 2003. Laserzentrum F. H., Munster, Germany, September 2003.
21. D. J. Ewins. Modal Testing–Theory, Practice and Application. Research Studies Press, Ltd., Baldock,
Hertfordshire, England (2000).
22. B. Peeters, H. Van Der Auweraer, P. Guillaume, and J. Leuridan. Shock and Vibration 11:395–409
23. J.L. Semmlow. Biosignal and Biomedical Image Processing. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York (2004).