The use of composite materials such as carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP) is highly suited for the aerospace industry.
As such, it is of great importance to reliably evaluate defects that can lead to the failure of a structure. However, the failure
of such structures is not always immediate; failure may not occur until the damage is compounded by environmental effects
incurred as the structure is aged. This research made use of infrared thermography (IRT) for the nondestructive evaluation
(NDE) of CFRP panels with embedded defects. The CFRP panels studied include samples with foreign object inclusion
(FOI) defects at varying depths within the panel and impact damage defects created with different impact energies. The
CFRP panels with embedded defects were inspected using IRT both before and after the samples were exposed to an artificial
aging process. Evaluation of the results demonstrates that various differences form in the defect region of the CFRP samples
depending on the defect type, defect extent, and aging method.
1. Poudel, A., J. Strycek and T.P. Chu, “Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Testing of Carbon/Carbon Composite Aircraft Brake
Disks,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 71(8), pp. 987-994. 2013.
2. Tomblin, J.S., L. Salah, J.M. Welch and M.D. Borgman, 2004, “Bonded Repair of Aircraft Composite Sandwich
Structures,” DOT/FAA/AR-03/74, Federal Aviation Administration, Office of Aviation Research, Washington, D.C.,
20591. Accessed on: 04/16/2013, Available from: http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ar03-74.pdf .
3. Mitchell, K., A. Poudel, S. Li, and T.P. Chu, “Nondestructive Evaluation of Composite Repairs,” abstract accepted for
Proceedings of ASNT 2013 Fall Conference, Las Vegas, NV, November 4-7, 2013.
4. Sihn, S., R.Y. Kim, K. Kawabe and S.W. Tsai, “Experimental studies of thin-ply laminated composites,” Composites
Science and Technology, 64 (6) 996-1008, 2007.
5. Graham, D., P. Maasa, G.B. Donaldsona and C. Carr. “Impact damage detection in carbon fiber composites using HTS
SQUIDs and neural networks,” NDT&E International 37, 565-570, 2004.
6. Winfree, W. and D.M. Heath, “Thermal Diffusivity Imaging of Aerospace Materials and Structures,” Thermosense XX,
Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 3361, 1998, pp. 282-290.
7. Shepard, S., J. Lhota, T. Ahmed and Y.L. Hou, 2003, “Thermographic Inspection of Composite Structures,” SAMPLE
Journal, September/October, pp. 53-58.
8. Shepard, S., 2007, “Flash Thermography of Aerospace Composites,” Conferencia Panamericana, AAENDE,