Full-Field Visualization Techniques for High Density Ultrasound Measurements
Conference: Publication Date: 25 August 2014Testing Method: ,
The application of ultrasonic nondestructive testing (NDT) techniques on concrete structures is currently undergoing
a progression towards rapid flaw detection using large transducer arrays and algorithmic data focusing techniques.
This paper presents visualization techniques that are developed based on large numbers of individual data collection
instances from a smaller transducer array without the use of focusing algorithms. It is conjectured that this method is
a more holistic means of interpreting ultrasound data compared to spatially dependent focusing processes when
dense, systematic data sets are collected over large areas. Methods for assembling large sets of one-dimensional
ultrasound data points into coherent images interpreted by the operator are presented and discussed. Such data
visualization techniques show great promise in creating a presence for ultrasound methods in structural quality
- D. Clayton, C. Smith, C. C. Ferraro, J. Nelson, L. Khazanovich, K. Hoegh, S. Chintakunta, J. Popovics, H. Choi and S. Ham, "Evaluation of Ultrasonic Techniques on Concrete Structures," Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2013.
- D. Algernon, D. Hiltunen and C. Ferraro, "Validation of Nondestructive Testing Equipment for Concrete," University of Florida Department of Civil and Coastal Engineering, 2010.
- J. Krautkrämer and H. Krautkrämer, "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials," Journal of Sound and Vibration, pp. 157- 158, 1969.
- S. Popovics, J. L. Rose and J. S. Popovics, "The Behavior of Ultrasonic Pulses in Concrete," Cement and Concrete Research, pp. 259-270, 1990.
- L. W. Schmerr Jr. and S.-J. Song, "Fourier Transforms and the Delta Function," in Ultrasonic Nondestructive Evaluation Systems, New York, Springer, 2010, pp. 439-457.
- M. Krause and F. Mielentz, "Ultrasonic Echo," in Non-Destructive Assessment of Concrete Structures: Reliability and Limits of Single and Combined Techniques, Springer, 2012, pp. 27-39.
35 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares