Nondestructive Testing (NDT) techniques play a crucial role in the condition assessment of existing structures and
to ensure the quality of rehabilitation. Fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composites are increasingly being used to
rehabilitate aging reinforced concrete structural components. Infrared thermography is a useful technique for
assessing the condition of concrete structural members prior to rehabilitation and after rehabilitation using FRP
composites. This paper demonstrates the usefulness of low cost infrared cameras and digital tap testing device for
field condition assessment of the bond between external FRP composite fabric and the underlying reinforced
concrete member. The bond integrity is crucial for achieving enhanced strength of the rehabilitated structural
component. Therefore, use of NDT techniques for periodic monitoring over the life of the structure is important to
take timely remedial action in case a problem is detected, which can help to ensure continued structural integrity and
prolong the service life of the rehabilitated structure. The paper also discusses the use of infrared thermography and
ground penetrating radar for condition assessment of reinforced concrete structures in the field environment.
1. Halabe, U.B., Vasudevan, A., Hing, C.L., and GangaRao, H.V.S., “Nondestructive Evaluation of Fiber
Reinforced Polymer Composite Bridge Components using Infrared Thermography,” Proceedings of the
Polymer Composites IV Conference, Morgantown, WV, March 20 - 22, 2007, pp. 1-24.
2. Halabe, U.B., Vasudevan, A., Klinkhachorn, P., and GangaRao, H. V. S., “Detection of Subsurface Defects in
Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite Bridge Decks Using Digital Infrared Thermography,” Nondestructive
Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 22, Nos. 2-3, June-September, 2007, pp. 155-175.
3. Halabe, U.B., and Dutta, S.S., “Quantitative Characterization of Debond Size in FRP Wrapped Concrete
Cylindrical Columns Using Infrared Thermography,” Proceedings of the Fourth Japan-US Symposium on
Emerging NDE Capabilities for a Safer World, jointly conducted by JSNDI and ASNT, Maui Island, Hawaii,
June 7-11, 2010, pp. 64-68.
4. Halabe, U.B., Dutta, S.S., and GangaRao, H.V.S., “Infrared Thermographic and Radar Testing of Polymer-
Wrapped Composites,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 68, No. 4, April, 2010, pp. 447-451.
5. Halabe, U.B., Nandam, K., Majiga, S., Perisetty, N., and GangaRao, H.V.S., “Condition Assessment of GFRP
Composite Wrapped Timber Railroad Ties and Timber Bridge Piles Using Infrared Thermography,”
Proceedings of ASNT Fall 2012 Conference, Orlando, FL, Oct. 29 – Nov. 1, 2012, pp. 156-163.
6. Halabe, U.B., “Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) of Composites: Techniques for Civil Structures,” Chapter 18
of Non-destructive Evaluation (NDE) of Polymer Matrix Composites, Vistasp M. Karbhari, editor, Woodhead
Publishing, U.K., June, 2013, pp. 483-514.
7. Hing, C.L.C., and Halabe, U.B., “Nondestructive Testing of GFRP Bridge Decks using Ground Penetrating
Radar and Infrared Thermography,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 15, No. 4, July/August, 2010,
8. Akuthota, B., Hughes, D., Zoughi, R., Myers, J., and Nanni, A., “Near-Field Microwave Detection of Disbond
in Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites Used for Strengthening Cement-Based Structures and Disbond
Repair Verification,” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 16, No. 6, 2004, pp. 540-546.
9. Kharkovsky, S., Ryley, A. C., Stephen, V., and Zoughi, R., “Dual-Polarized Near-Field Microwave
Reflectometer for Noninvasive Inspection of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer-Strengthened Structures,” IEEE
Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 57, No. 1, January, 2008, pp. 168-175.
10. Au, C. and Buyukozturk, O., “Effect of Fiber Orientation and Ply Mix on Fiber Reinforced Polymer-Confined
Concrete,” Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, Vol. 9, No. 5, September/October, 2005, pp. 397-
11. Halabe, U.B., Dutta, S.S., and GangaRao, H.V.S., "Behavior of FRP Composite Wrapped Concrete Cylinders
with Embedded Debonds," Proceedings of ASCE Structures Congress, Pittsburgh, PA, May 2-4, 2013, pp. 566-
12. Halabe, U.B., GangaRao, H.V.S., and Perisetty, N., “Infrared Thermography and GPR Techniques for
Condition Assessment of RC Bridges,” Proceedings of NDE/NDT for Highways and Bridges: Structural
Materials Technology (SMT), New York, NY, August 21-24, 2012, pp. 120-127.
13. Halabe, U.B., and Pyakurel, S., “2D and 3D GPR Imaging of Cylindrical Wooden Logs and Concrete
Columns,” Proceedings of the Fourth Japan-US Symposium on Emerging NDE Capabilities for a Safer World,
jointly conducted by the Japanese Society for Non-Destructive Inspection (JSNDI) and the American Society for
Nondestructive Testing (ASNT), Maui Island, Hawaii, June 7-11, 2010, pp. 81-87.
14. Pyakurel, S., and Halabe U.B., “2D and 3D Imaging of Concrete and Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite
Wrapped Cylindrical Columns using Ground Penetrating Radar,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 71, No. 1, January,
2013, pp. 73-82.
15. Halabe, U. B., Maser, K. R., and Kausel, E. A., “Condition Assessment of Reinforced Concrete Structures
Using Electromagnetic Waves,” American Concrete Institute (ACI) Materials Journal, Vol. 92, No. 5,
September-October, 1995, pp. 511-523.
16. ACI 440.2R-08, Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening
Concrete Structures, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, 2008, pp. 20.