In this article, we propose a method of detection and quantification of fiber waviness
or ‘‘marcels’’ in unidirectional glass fiber reinforced composite plates using air coupled ultrasonics.
Severity of waviness was defined with the help of aspect ratio, which is the geometric
characteristic of the marcel. Several wavy samples with different aspect ratios were fabricated
and tested with the defined method. Waviness was detected by performing C-Scans
and characterized with the help of B-Scans to determine the change in time of flight while
traversing along the length of the wave. This method can be effectively implemented as a
field technique for marcel characterization in thick composites.
1. K. K. Borum, M. Mc Gugan, and P. Brondsted. Proceedings of the 27th Riso International Symposium
on Materials Science: Polymer Composite Materials for Wind Power Turbines. Denmark 2006,
2. V. Dayal. Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation 14:1–7 (1995).
3. S. Wooh and I. Daniel. Ultrasonics 33:3–10 (1995).
4. C. S. Yerramalli, T. Miebach, K. Chandraseker, and S. C. Quek. Proceedings of European Wind Energy
Conference and Exhibition (2010).
5. J. Mandell, D. Samborsky, and L. Wang. Proceedings of the 48th International SAMPE Symposium
Vol. 48, SAMPE 2003, Long Beach, CA, May 11–15, 2003, pp. 2653–2678 (2003).
6. S. K. Chakrapani, V. Dayal, D. K. Hsu, and D. Barnard. Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Pressure
Vessels and Piping Conference PVP2011, PVP2011–57652, pp. 259–266.
7. S. K. Chakrapani, V. Dayal, D. Barnard, A. Eldal, and R. Krafka. Review of Qualitative
Non-Destructive Evaluation (QNDE 2011), AIP Conf. Proc. 1430, 31:1284–1290 (2011).
8. S. K. Chakrapani, V. Dayal, D. K. Hsu, D. Barnard, and A. Gross. Review of Qualitative
Non-Destructive Evaluation (QNDE 2010) AIP Conference Proceedings 1335:956–962 (2011).
9. D. Adams and S. Bell. Composites Science and Technology 53:207–212 (1995).
10. B. D. Allison and J. L. Evans. Materials and Design 36:316–322 (2012).
11. G. Murri. NASA=TM-1999–209830, ARL-TR-2110.
12. S. K. Chakrapani, J. Padiyar, and K. Balasubramaniam. Journal for Nondestructive Evaluation
13. S. K. Chakrapani, V. Dayal, and D. Barnard. Proceedings of Qualitative Non-Destructive Evaluation