This article proposes an efficient two-dimensional (2D) pixel-driven multiplicative algebraic
reconstruction technique (PdMART) on a general purpose graphical processing unit (GPU),
Nvidia graphics card GTX-275. It has been tested on numerical data and also on real data that
have been obtained from the micro–computed tomography scanner installed at University of
Manchester. We have used real data having 90 projections and 256 rays in each projection
to test the algorithm. The real data has been obtained by scanning the graphite core object of
size 30mm30 mm. It has been found that GPU can help PdMART to generate the weight
matrix for the 256256 pixel grid within a second which is very fast compared to any
sequential machine. Experimental results reveal that PdMART on GPU is computationally
inexpensive. Preliminary results also indicate much better performance (as compared to
popular Fourier methods) for cases of limited-view projection data as is the case for the
upcoming laminographic tomography machines.
1. N. Jain, M. S. Kalra, and P. Munshi. Research in Nondestructive Evaluation 22:169–195 (2011).
2. N. Jain, A. Raj, M. S. Kalra, P. Munshi, and V. R. Ravindran. Research in Nondestructive Evaluation
3. R. Gordon, R. Bender, and G. T. Herman. Journal of Theoretical Biology 29:471–481 (1970).
4. A. C. Kak, and M. Slaney. IEEE Press, New York, (1987).
5. P. Gilbert. Journal of Theoretical Biology 36:105–117 (1972).
6. D. B. Kirk, W. Mei, and W. Hwu. Morgan Kaufmann Press (2010).
7. H. Mueller, D. C. Deiz, and A. S. Frangakis. Journal of Structural Biology 157:288–295 (2007).
8. K. Mueller and F. Xu. Physics in Medicine and Biology 52:3405–3419 (2007).
9. P. Subbarao, P. Munshi, and K. Muralidhar. NDT & E International 30:359–370 (1997).
10. R. Saxena, P. Satyamurthy, and P. Munshi. Nuclear Technology 163:426–434 (2008).
11. Nvidia CUDA programming guide.
12. Mathworks. MATLAB V. 7.8.0 (2009).
13. The University of Manchester. Research facilities. Internet: http://www.materials.manchester.ac.uk/
research/facilities/mxif/ [May 2013].
14. P. Munshi. NDT & E International 25:191–194 (1992).
15. P. Munshi, R. K. S. Rathore, K. Sriram, and M. S. Kalra. NDT & E International 26:235–240 (1992).
16. M. Bajpai, P. Gupta, P. Munshi, V. Titarenko, and P. J. Withers. Proc International Workshop on
Smart Materials and Structures and NDT in Aerospace, Paper no. 62, Montreal Canada (2011).
17. P. Munshi, M. Maisl, and H. Reiter. Materials Evaluation 55:188–191 (1997).
18. M. Maisl, F. Porsch, and C. Schorr. Proc. of 2nd International Symposium on NDT in Aerospace, Mo.