Acoustic Emission (AE) has proven to be a useful tool in the monitoring of fiberglass pressure vessels. The ASME Piping and Pressure Vessel Code (subsection X) implements AE as an approved method for quality control and in service testing of fiberglass pressure vessels, making it an accepted technique for the evaluation of fiber composite structures. This article presents the result of AE monitoring of fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) pipes after impact damage has incurred. The results from these tests indicate that AE can be used as a tool to predict the level of damage incurred in the pipes after impact and during pressurization. The use of the Felicity Ratio as the benchmark for evaluation is presented as the key evaluating value.
1. M. R. Gorman, Modal AE: A New Understanding of Acoustic Emission, abstract in Journal of Acoustic Emission, 14(3), S102 (1997).
2. M. R. Gorman, New Technology for Wave Based Acoustic Emission and Acousto-Ultrasonics, Wave Propagation and Emerging Technologies AMD-Vol. 188, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 47–59 (1994).
3. P. D. Soden, S. R. Reid, J. N. Ashton, C. Peng, M. Heaton, S. Li, and M. J. Hinton. Strength and Long-Term Behavior of Impact Damaged GRE Pipes, Proceedings, CMOO-2 conference, Houston Texas, October (1997).
4. M. R. Gorman, Some Connections Between AE Testing of Large Structures and Small Samples, Non-Destructive Evaluation. 14:89–104 (1998).
5. Fowler, T. J. and Scarpellini, R. S., Use of Acoustic Emission in the Design of Glass and Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Pipe, Proceedings 2nd International Symposium on Acoustic Emission from Reinforced Composites, Montreal, Canada, July 21–25, pp. 153–158 (1986).
6. T. J. Fowler. Journal of the Technical Councils of ASCE 281–289 (1979).
7. British Standard for Design and Construction of Vessels and Tanks in Reinforced Plastics, BS4994–1987.
8. Commission Chaudronnerie, Genie Chimique du Syndicat General de L’Industrie du Plastique Arme, Code de Construction des Appareils Chaudronnes en Plastique Arme, France, December 1976.
9. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section X: Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Pressure Vessels, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York (1989).
10. Reinforced Thermoset Plastic Corrosion Resistant Equipment. The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASME-ANSI-RTP-1989.
11. Ramirez, Guillermo, Engelhardt, M., and Fowler, T. On the Endurance Limit of Fiberglass Pipes Using Acoustic Emission, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Transactions of ASME 128(3): 454–461 (2006).
7 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares